Your favorite canned tuna is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The traditional "escargot" are land snails. However, various other snails that inhabit salt water are also eaten - particularly the Periwinkle. And a large Asian market near us frequently carries live Moon Snails as well.

Son of a gun, they are land snails.
Thanks for pointing that out Drama. If I ever observe lent, I'll remember not to eat them on Friday. :LOL:

Son of a gun, they are land snails.
Thanks for pointing that out Drama. If I ever observe lent, I'll remember not to eat them on Friday. :LOL:

I love escargot but I don't want to think about it too long. I'm not sure what their classification is - animal, vegetable or mineral. :LOL: I just can't watch them crawl.

Aww - I think they're adorable!

In fact, back in NY the seafood counter at one of our local markets would sometimes carry them alive & kicking. They were far to cute for me to think of eating them, but my mother did buy me a couple which I kept as pets in a terrarium for a good long while.:)

Isn't it still about tuna?

So live land snails are sold at the seafood counter huh?
Kinda confuses the situation, don't you think? :angel:

Isn't it still about tuna?

So live land snails are sold at the seafood counter huh?
Kinda confuses the situation, don't you think? :angel:

No way on this green earth am I going to de-shell a snail and eat it. The thought just grosses me out. My mother did this because Italians are very big on snails and back in the "old days" we cleaned our own food, but thank God I never saw her do it. Have you ever seen a snail without it's shell? They're called slugs and people in Washingtons State know what I'm talking about. Just put the dang things in garlic/parlsey butter with some good crusty bread, and I'll eat them, but I'm not cleaning them - and just to keep the thread alive - I'm not cleaning any tuna either. :LOL:

husband and I are both in agreement that packed in foil, the tuna seems to have texture unlike what we get in cans now. I used to find Albertsons' brand had a good texture but haven't bought it in a long time now.

I buy Whole Foods 365, generally. I use it mainly for tuna salad, for which it is indeed very tasty.

I buy Whole Foods 365, generally. I use it mainly for tuna salad, for which it is indeed very tasty.

I think it's interesting that most of the 365 brand products from Whole Foods come in first in taste tests. I buy their 365 Italian Olive oil, and their red wine vinegar and I like them both very much. I also use Greek Olive oil but prefer another brand. I'm going to try the tuna and see if that is up to all the praise. And just for the record, tuna in water is blah. Gotta be oil for me.

Bumble Bee tuna

:chef:
I use Bumble Bee Chunk White Albacore in water (12 oz. can) in my tuna casseroles. :chef:

I think it's interesting that most of the 365 brand products from Whole Foods come in first in taste tests. I buy their 365 Italian Olive oil, and their red wine vinegar and I like them both very much.

I just bought that oil for the first time this past weekend, and it is indeed very tasty, more so than many much more expensive oils.

STOP THE PRESSES!!

I now have a new favorite canned tuna: "StarKist 'Gourmet Choice' Solid Light Tuna Fillet in Olive Oil".

The pieces of fish are very similar to what one finds in imported canned tuna, & the olive oil was thick & lovely.

Made a pasta sauce with it last night for some spinach fettuccini that turned out to be nothing but sheer poetry (if I do say so myself - lol!!!!).

I can't wait to see what it does for more mundane tuna uses, & am thinking this will be my basic tuna of choice from now on.

STOP THE PRESSES!!

I now have a new favorite canned tuna: "StarKist 'Gourmet Choice' Solid Light Tuna Fillet in Olive Oil".

The pieces of fish are very similar to what one finds in imported canned tuna, & the olive oil was thick & lovely.

Made a pasta sauce with it last night for some spinach fettuccini that turned out to be nothing but sheer poetry (if I do say so myself - lol!!!!).

I can't wait to see what it does for more mundane tuna uses, & am thinking this will be my basic tuna of choice from now on.

care to share your pasta sauce recipe???

Sure thing. I can't tell you how pleased I am that something I just threw together from stuff already in the house + 2 cans of tuna I bought to try out makes me more than eager to have the leftovers for lunch - lol!!

Breezy Mediterranean Tuna Pasta Sauce

Two 4.5-ounce cans StarKist Solid Light Tuna Fillet in Olive Oil, undrained
Approximately 10-12 caper berries, roughly chopped (or 2 tablespoons regular capers, left whole)
Approximately 10-12 Kalamata olives, pitted & roughly chopped
1 medium fresh tomato, roughly chopped
Two large garlic cloves, peeled & chopped
Approximately ½ cup fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Juice from ½ a lemon
Splash of dry white Italian wine (like Pinot Grigio)
Approximately one teaspoon dried oregano
Extra-virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons of butter (or leftover seafood butter**)
Several dashes of crushed red pepper flakes
One small handful baby arugula (optional)

1# of spinach fettuccine or linquini to serve

Cook pasta according to package directions & drain.

While pasta is cooking, coat the bottom of a large skillet with extra-virgin olive oil & add butter to melt over medium heat. Add chopped garlic & sauté lightly for just a couple of minutes. Do not allow to brown (or – heaven forbid – burn! If garlic burns, start over again).

Add all remaining ingredients & stir occasionally – very gently – to heat through.

Serve over spinach pasta.

** “Seafood Butter” is the leftover dipping butter I save when my husband & I have steamed clams or lobster, etc., etc. I save & freeze it to use in recipes such as this, as well as for butter-poaching thick fish like cod, etc. While I’d never save dipping butter that was used communally by other people, hubby & I feel that we have the same “cooties”, so this has worked out quite well – lol!!

Thanks!! That sounds like something I will enjoy! Im not a big fan of capers, if I omit them do you think it will still work?
Oh and Im all for "cootie" sharing with my hubby too! LOL

BREEZY: Thanks so much for the heads up on the tuna. I can't seem to find one that isn't mushy or just plain nasty so this may be the answer. I happen to have all of the ingredients (Starkist Tuna but not your choice) for the pasta recipe you posted and I'm going to make this tomorrow night for my dinner. I'd make it tonight but I'm going to Liberace's home for High Tea today, so tiny dinner tonight.
Can't wait to try it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom