What is this and how do I cook it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B'sgirl

Sous Chef
:)

Attachments

• squash.JPG
    squash.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 206
looks like a spaghetti squash.... but the color is paler.....
where'd you get it?

Wait two weeks, carve a scary face in it and put a candle inside.
:LOL:

Looks like a spaghetti squash. Cut it in half (it will be hard), scrape out the seeds and bake flat sides down on a sheet pan with a little water until tender (or microwave until tender). Then scrape out the shreds of squash--it's crunchy a little, and it tastes good with butter and S&P. It looks like spaghetti when you scrape it out.

If it is a banana squash, then, I don't know.
Squash, All About Squash, Summer Squash and Winter Squash Glosary

Let us know how it turned out. ~Bliss

It is a winter squash - possibly a very large butter nut squash, but I can't tell without seeing the inside. My favourite thing to do it is to cut it in sections, coat with olive oil or dot with butter and sprinkle with nutneg or cinnamon.

There are a lot of other recipes.

Could be Spaghetti Squash, but all the ones I've ever seen have been bright yellow & completely smooth - no vertical line indentations.

I think the only way you're going to find out is going to be to split it in half vertically, scrape out the seeds, & bake it. After baking, if it doesn't naturally scrape into strands like Spaghetti Squash, you know you've just got some type of regular winter squash that you can then fix in whatever way winter squash appeals to you.

Looks like a spaghetti squash. Cut it in half (it will be hard), scrape out the seeds and bake flat sides down on a sheet pan with a little water until tender (or microwave until tender). Then scrape out the shreds of squash--it's crunchy a little, and it tastes good with butter and S&P. It looks like spaghetti when you scrape it out.

If it is a banana squash, then, I don't know.
Squash, All About Squash, Summer Squash and Winter Squash Glosary

Let us know how it turned out. ~Bliss

It came from a friend's garden, but she didn't plant it. She bought the house after the garden was already planted. I was thinking spaghetti squash. Some of the ones pictured in the above link looked whiter like this, I couldn't tell if any had lines.

Anyway, I didn't want to cut it in case it makes a better pumpkin than a food (hahaha Pacanis), and because I'm a wimp. But like you all say, that's probably the only way to find out for sure. I hope it's a spaghetti squash, that's my favorite!

You can still eat it baked if it's not spaghetti.... just cut it in cubes.... or mash it.... and either way cover it with a whole bunch of butter (ok not for your little man) and brown sugar!!!!

I definitely don't think it's a pumpkin. All the white varieties (at least all the ones I know of) are round or flattened-round - not oblong like yours.

And even it does turn out that way, all the pumpkins are totally edible; they just can be a bit bland & may need more seasoning help.

When you cut into it, go in from the stem to keep your options open ;)

You can still eat it baked if it's not spaghetti.... just cut it in cubes.... or mash it.... and either way cover it with a whole bunch of butter (ok not for your little man) and brown sugar!!!!

No worries, we have vegan butter, he can have all of that he wants!

Michelle, I remember last summer there were a few spaghetti squash TOO hard to cut in half. So I stabbed it with a knife a few times and baked it that way. It was much easier to cut open that way. So I cleaned it out and then forked out the spaghetti squash, it was fine.
Also, when spaghetti squash are not ripe, they are white, so it may have been harvested early. I doubt that will create a problem. Good eats! ~Bliss

Definitely a spaghetti squash--not quite ripe like blissful said, but very delicious! Thanks! It went great with my shepherd's pie.

Wow. Cool. You didn't know what it was, asked, and cooked it up.
That's pretty neat, I think.

although most spaghetti squashes are yellow it is definetly a spaghetti squash and very delicious. I usually take a steak knife and poke a few slice cuts around it and place the squash in a large pot of water and boil until tender (about 30 to 45 minutes). I then turn the burner off and let the squash cool just enough to handle. I then cut in half and scrape all spaghetti looking squash out of squash shell into a skillet with a desired amount of butter and fry untill slightly golden brown. If you wish you can add fried hamburger or any other fried meat and season with salt, pepper or what ever as desired.

What texture does that have? I could see it as a side dish to a nice piece of salmon. Is it like cole slaw?

Back
Top Bottom