NUT BRITTLE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norgeskog

Washing Up
Any nut will work here, but I have only used peanuts, hazlenuts, almonds and pecans. On good thing about this recipe, is you do not need a candy thermometer.

NUT BRITTLE

2 cup favorite nuts, chopped
1 cup white karo syrup
1 cup sugar
1 Tbs butter or margarine
1 tsp baking soda

Mix syrup, sugar and butter in a sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown in color, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in nuts and then add 1 tsp baking soda and mix. Pour onto a heavily greased cookie sheet and spread out to even layer. Let cool and break into pieces.

That seems like a great basic recipe. You can also add a pinch of cayenne for an extra element; the sweet and heat are really great together. I also have a great variation on the classic brittle.

Tropical Brittle
1/2 c Dried banana chips
1/2 c Coconut flakes, unsweetened
1 c Sugar
1/2 c Light corn syrup
4 oz Macadamia nuts, toasted, chopped
1 tb Butter
1 ts Vanilla
1 ts Baking soda

1.Lightly butter a cookie sheet. Sprinkle banana slices and coconut over buttered sheet, keeping it about 1 inch away from the edges.
2.In 1 1/2 quart microwave-safe casserole or large measuring cup, combine sugar and corn syrup. Microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes.
3.Stir in macadamia nuts. Microwave on HIGH for 4-6 minutes or until golden brown.
4.Stir in butter and vanilla, blend well. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute.
5.Add baking soda and stir gently until light and foamy. Quickly pour sugar syrup in a thin stream over bananas and coconut on cookie sheet. Let cool 30 minutes and then break into pieces.

Kansas girl, yours sounds good too except for the bannana chips, and I would toast the coconut. I have not developed a taste for any tropical fruit except pineapple, and while I do like bannana bread, that is teh only form in which I will eat a bannana, it is a texture thing, like tofu.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom