Bad food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artofcooking

Assistant Cook
Okay, so something(s) I have been eating these past few days was not good. I'm pretty sensitive to my body and when I don't eat good, I don't feel good.

Please hear out my story of meals and how I felt and let me know your thoughts, please!

Tuesday
[forgot what my breakfast was]
feeling GREAT
Almond milk + stale cereal [confirmed BAD]
feeling okay (that meal cost a lot)
1.5 slices Fresh cooked masala toast (I think I messed it up and maybe did not cook the soaked bread fully through, even though it was dark brown all around)
-2 farmer's market cage-free white eggs unrefrigerated, bought 2 days prior ("sell by" date 2 weeks later)
-2 costco organic cage-free brown eggs ("sell by" date 1 week later)
-large onion
-cilantro
-costco extra virgin olive oil (best by December, but could it be bad?)
-3 slices sourdough from farmer's market 2 days prior, no preservatives, confirmed good company
feeling TERRIBLE

Wednesday
feeling okay
Potato/Cauliflower [confirmed good food] + sourdough slice + fresh-cooked black rice
feeling TERRIBLE
feeling okay, as I get hungry
light meal of radish, chili, leftover 1/2 masala toast piece
feeling BAD
only 1 frozen burritofrom best restaurant [confirmed amazingly good]
feeling AMAZING

Thursday
black rice + stir fry frozen vegetables from Trader Joes[used corn oil + sesame oil]
feeling BAD

I wanted to ask everyone what they think the culprit is. I've narrowed it down to:
1. Black rice - I soaked it for 13 hours before cooking in the microwave. The heat in the room was kept between 70 and 80 degrees F.
2. Sourdough bread - I bought it 2 days before eating at the farmer's market for $5, sealed in a standard bread packet. I have always had a good experience with their products, but the sourdough smells strange to me (maybe I'm not familiar with the smell)
3. Eggs - maybe the farmer's market one is bad?
4. Olive oil - could it be rotten?
5. My failed cooking of the Masala toast (but could it really have been that bad?)
6. Frozen vegetables - ??

:wacko: What do you think about my culprits? I'm living and learning...!

Something like a food sensitivity or in my case IBS is hard to pin point. I have many foods that trigger my IBS and cause severe stomach ache and nausea. I battle with cruciferous veggies like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts etc, beans, raw onion, radishes, cucumber skin, green pepper, insoluble fibre, fried foods etc.

You should go to a Dr to find out what your trigger foods are. You may just have an allergy to certian foods.

Were it not for the burrito's tortilla, I'd guess you're having a gluten reaction.

Question - when you're feeling awful, do you tend to also feel a bit bloaty too? Just a thought.

Having recently gone through an ulcer, I can relate. I was able to get it to heal in about a week.

Here’s a few suggestions that worked for me.

Keep an ongoing list of things that made you feel bad, as well as one for things that let you feel good.

Keep your foods simple at first.

I ate a lot of farina (cream of wheat), scrambled eggs, plain soups, and bread. I found myself being happy with that as a day without pain meant to me that it was a day of healing.

It also seems to have made a big difference by eating less at a time, and only eating again when I’m actually hungry, like making a sandwich, but putting half back in the refrigerator to eat in a couple of hours, instead of eating it all at once.

Thanks all!

I do know I have lactose intolerance, which does cause bloating.
However, in the past week's case, it was more head hurting, desperate to get good food, but then being already full with bad food. This in turn caused a lot of tension in my stomach and shoulders and my body.

Zhizara, those are really good tips! I think I'll start doing that, as memory can be tricky.

If the eggs were washed before being sold, they should be stored in the fridge. Washing the eggs removes the bloom and they should not be stored at room temp. Also, your room temp is warm. I store my unwashed eggs at about 50 degrees F.

I think it may be the sourdough or black rice. I'll carefully narrow down further with time and log it ;)

Well, thanks again to everyone.

If you are going to soak rice that long you might consider doing it in the fridge as it can go "off" (begin fermenting) in a warm temp like 80. It would probably take longer than 13 hours but still the fridge is a safer idea.

Back
Top Bottom