Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Menu Planning (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f164/)
-   -   Thanksgiving Dinner - Your Menu? (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f164/thanksgiving-dinner-your-menu-87806.html)

Jessica_Morris 11-10-2013 12:48 PM

Thanksgiving Dinner - Your Menu?
 


What's everyone's Thanksgiving Meal going to consist of?

Kathleen 11-10-2013 01:04 PM

Thanksgiving is a time where I *love* remembering family through food. Probably not the healthiest thing to do, but I do it anyway.

I'll make a turkey with dressing instead of stuffing. Other sides will be bird nests (with mashed potatoes and cream-peas, dumplings, fresh whole cranberry sauce, perhaps some sweet potatoes with pineapple, relish dish with pickles and olives and stuffed celery, and a decadent "Thanksgiving salad." For dessert, a choice of pies.

VERY carb-heavy, but I simply LOVE Thanksgiving.

Roll_Bones 11-10-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 1318258)
Thanksgiving is a time where I *love* remembering family through food. Probably not the healthiest thing to do, but I do it anyway.

I'll make a turkey with dressing instead of stuffing. Other sides will be bird nests (with mashed potatoes and cream-peas, dumplings, fresh whole cranberry sauce, perhaps some sweet potatoes with pineapple, relish dish with pickles and olives and stuffed celery, and a decadent "Thanksgiving salad." For dessert, a choice of pies.

VERY carb-heavy, but I simply LOVE Thanksgiving.

When you say stuffing vs dressing, do you mean that dressing is the same recipe, but cooked separately from the bird?

I have heard many differing discussions on dressing vs stuffing.

For the record, I never stuff any bird except the Cornish hen. I always bake my dressing/stuffing in a separate baking dish.

Kathleen 11-10-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roll_Bones (Post 1318262)
When you say stuffing vs dressing, do you mean that dressing is the same recipe, but cooked separately from the bird?

I have heard many differing discussions on dressing vs stuffing.

For the record, I never stuff any bird except the Cornish hen. I always bake my dressing/stuffing in a separate baking dish.

I bake mine in little biscuit-shaped mounds or in a baking dish. But yes, I mean it is cooked outside of the bird and the recipe is likely similar to what one would put into the bird. Grandma always told me that was the difference between dressing and stuffing. :chef:

Andy M. 11-10-2013 01:40 PM

I bought my behind the scenes turkey yesterday for 59/Lb. So I can start prepping later in the week when it defrosts.

Dinner will be the usual. Good Eats Thanksgiving Turkey, stuffing, rice pilaf, butternut squash, green beans (not casserole) cranberry, gravy. Desserts will include at least a pecan pie and either an apple or lemon meringue pie. SO will make a frosted layer cake for my daughter and grandson as they don't do pie.

Rumor has it SO's son and his new bride will be coming up from FL for Thanksgiving but we've heard those rumors before and been disappointed so we'll just carry on and see what happens.

Dawgluver 11-10-2013 01:51 PM

My cousin is hosting this year again, only this time folks sign up on PerfectPotluck.com to bring stuff. I signed up for dressing/stuffing, as I like mine better than the frou-frou I've had, and wine. I just looked, so far we'll have turkey, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes of some sort. Nobody has yet signed up for cranberries, potatoes, or gravy. Might be an interesting dinner.....

Katie H 11-10-2013 02:04 PM

Very quiet Thanksgiving here. Just the two of us.

Glenn has asked for Cornish hens, which I think I'll stuff with wild rice, pineapple and pecans. Homemade cranberry sauce, taters and gravy, probably buttered baby peas, cream cheese/pineapple/lime gelatin salad, some sort of sweet potato side because Glenn really likes them, homemade potato rolls, and some sort of pie. Right now I'm leaning toward an apple-cranberry one I saw a couple of days ago. I may also make a pumpkin one, too, 'cause I sooooo like pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving.

Oldvine 11-10-2013 02:05 PM

It's what ever they are serving at the Inn. Over 50 years ago my husband declared that the cook should also be thankful on Thanksgiving Day. I thought it was a fine idea and took him up on it.

Aunt Bea 11-10-2013 02:19 PM

I got my 59 cents per pound turkey today from the local Wegman's store!

Turkey
Roasted Brussels sprouts
Mashed turnip
Cabbage salad
Pickles, olives etc...
Pumpkin pie with whipped cream

Saving all of my carbs for the pumpkin pie! :ermm::ohmy::lol:

PrincessFiona60 11-10-2013 02:30 PM

I'm thinking A Cornish game hen with Lundberg's Christmas (red rice) rice stuffing. Parslied potatoes and green beans with garlic and almonds.

Pumpkin custard.

forty_caliber 11-10-2013 03:08 PM

Will be smoking a turkey on Joe to take to a larger family gathering this year. I'm getting off easy for 2013.

.40

PrincessFiona60 11-10-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forty_caliber (Post 1318325)
Will be smoking a turkey on Joe to take to a larger family gathering this year. I'm getting off easy for 2013.

.40

Which end are you going to light?:rolleyes:

bethzaring 11-10-2013 03:47 PM

There will be 8 of us; 2 sisters and spouses, one nephew with wife and 19 month old son. The dinner will be in the Community House, with other members in attendance as well. I'm doing one turkey, a potato casserole and some canned store bought cranberrry sauce. Don't know the rest of the menu, but I do seem to remember no one has mentioned dessert yet. I am sure that will not be overlooked.

forty_caliber 11-10-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 (Post 1318327)
Which end are you going to light?:rolleyes:

Since it's non-filter, I'm not sure it matters :rofl:

.40

PrincessFiona60 11-10-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forty_caliber (Post 1318364)
Since it's non-filter, I'm not sure it matters :rofl:

.40

:lol::rofl:

Whiskadoodle 11-10-2013 10:50 PM

We are hosting Thanksgiving this year. 16-20 for dinner. Sit down dinner. Between the two of us, we have enough good dishes, Cloth napkins and silverware.

Dx's kitchen is smaller size so it will be a hub-bub. I know we will make mash potatoes the day before and reheat in a crock pot. It takes a long time just to peel potatoes and these turned out really good last year. Make ahead gravy and add turkey drippings to finish when re heating.

Everyone brings a dish so there is not so much for any one person to do. It will be fun.

PrincessFiona60 11-10-2013 10:53 PM

I actually found carton's of Swanson's Turkey broth at Wal-mart. Will be picking some up for gravy through the year.

Whiskadoodle 11-10-2013 11:01 PM

I didn't know they make such a thing as turkey broth. Will have to look for that around here.

Andy M. 11-10-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle (Post 1318479)
I didn't know they make such a thing as turkey broth. Will have to look for that around here.

It's been around for several years but only at Thanksgiving.

Chief Longwind Of The North 11-11-2013 08:07 AM

Sprout, her hubby, and youngens are planning on being here. My eldest sister will also be here. Menu:
1. oven roasted turkey, with sage-bread stuffing
2. smashed spuds
3. turkey gravy
4. mashed rutabaga (my all time favorite root veggie)
5. green beans (not the casserole)
6. relish tray with cranberry sauce, stuffed celery sticks, black and green 7. olives
8. My Mom's famous, and loved Sea-Breeze Salad
9, apple pie (courtesy of Sprout)
10. pumpkin pie
11. Chantilly Cream
12. and finally, dirty -sock soup for the kids (I tease them all the time that they're gonna get dirty-sock soup. It's our own little fun joke. I've even started writing a light-hearted novel of the same name.:lol:
13. milk, and juices (not in the same glass, silly.:ohmy:):mrgreen:

Aftger the turkey comes out of the oven, I'll be sharing the oysters with Sprout, or maybe munchkin 1 will get half of mine. She's four now, and old enough to share in the special turkey bits with her grandpa. I love those kids. But then, how could you not?

It's snowing out right now, so I need to get to work on my flooded basement issue. And then, it's off to the chili cookoff to serve up, and see how my two entries do this year. It's been 4 years now since I've won a trophy. But my hot entry has in it both Buht-jalokia, and Naga-viper chilies, plus the usual mix. We'll see how the chili heads handle it. I like it.:lol:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

PrincessFiona60 11-11-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle (Post 1318479)
I didn't know they make such a thing as turkey broth. Will have to look for that around here.

I hadn't ever seen it either. I had to back up and look. Didn't pick it up then because I was on a single minded mission to make sure I had enough weird foods for Shrek to survive the three days I'll be gone.

Jessica_Morris 11-11-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 1318258)
Thanksgiving is a time where I *love* remembering family through food. Probably not the healthiest thing to do, but I do it anyway.

I'll make a turkey with dressing instead of stuffing. Other sides will be bird nests (with mashed potatoes and cream-peas, dumplings, fresh whole cranberry sauce, perhaps some sweet potatoes with pineapple, relish dish with pickles and olives and stuffed celery, and a decadent "Thanksgiving salad." For dessert, a choice of pies.

VERY carb-heavy, but I simply LOVE Thanksgiving.

Kathleen : Your meal sounds delicious! I ♥ Thanksgiving too because we celebrate with our families and remember all those that are no longer with us. My grandparent's use to invite everyone over to their house for Thanksgiving and Christmas and it was always so much fun. But now both of them are no longer with us, and I'm glad someone decided to pick up the tradition. Thanksgiving and Christmas just wouldn't be the same if we didn't!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 1318278)
I bought my behind the scenes turkey yesterday for 59/Lb. So I can start prepping later in the week when it defrosts.

Dinner will be the usual. Good Eats Thanksgiving Turkey, stuffing, rice pilaf, butternut squash, green beans (not casserole) cranberry, gravy. Desserts will include at least a pecan pie and either an apple or lemon meringue pie. SO will make a frosted layer cake for my daughter and grandson as they don't do pie.

Rumor has it SO's son and his new bride will be coming up from FL for Thanksgiving but we've heard those rumors before and been disappointed so we'll just carry on and see what happens.

Andy: I really hope your SO's son will be able to make it with his new bride this year :) And if they don't show, they are definitely missing one heck of a meal this year at Thanksgiving. You've got me craving lemon meringue pie now :yum:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie H (Post 1318291)
Very quiet Thanksgiving here. Just the two of us.

Glenn has asked for Cornish hens, which I think I'll stuff with wild rice, pineapple and pecans. Homemade cranberry sauce, taters and gravy, probably buttered baby peas, cream cheese/pineapple/lime gelatin salad, some sort of sweet potato side because Glenn really likes them, homemade potato rolls, and some sort of pie. Right now I'm leaning toward an apple-cranberry one I saw a couple of days ago. I may also make a pumpkin one, too, 'cause I sooooo like pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving.

Katie H: I've never cooked a cornish hen before but I've noticed a lot of people are choosing them over turkeys. Turkey for me is just to dry when cooked like instructions say, unless of course you fry your turkey.

How do you cook your home-made potato rolls? I just recently bought a bread making machine and would love to cook some homemade bread. But don't know any recipes

Jessica_Morris 11-11-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgluver (Post 1318286)
My cousin is hosting this year again, only this time folks sign up on PerfectPotluck.com to bring stuff. I signed up for dressing/stuffing, as I like mine better than the frou-frou I've had, and wine. I just looked, so far we'll have turkey, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes of some sort. Nobody has yet signed up for cranberries, potatoes, or gravy. Might be an interesting dinner.....

Dawgluver: Dressing is one of those meals at Thanksgiving that I can only eat a couple of people's. One of those being mine & one of those being my mothers. If anyone else makes it usually I don't like it :ermm: Although, my grandmother use to make the most delicious dressing at Thanksgiving. But unfortunately she is no longer able to cook nor remember her recipe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aunt Bea (Post 1318304)
I got my 59 cents per pound turkey today from the local Wegman's store!

Turkey
Roasted Brussels sprouts
Mashed turnip
Cabbage salad
Pickles, olives etc...
Pumpkin pie with whipped cream

Saving all of my carbs for the pumpkin pie! :ermm::ohmy::lol:

Aunt Bea: Thanksgiving is one of those holiday's that I get so stuffed, but the time dessert comes around I'm too stuffed to even attempt to take a bite of a dessert.

Quote:

Originally Posted by forty_caliber (Post 1318325)
Will be smoking a turkey on Joe to take to a larger family gathering this year. I'm getting off easy for 2013.

.40

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethzaring (Post 1318358)
There will be 8 of us; 2 sisters and spouses, one nephew with wife and 19 month old son. The dinner will be in the Community House, with other members in attendance as well. I'm doing one turkey, a potato casserole and some canned store bought cranberrry sauce. Don't know the rest of the menu, but I do seem to remember no one has mentioned dessert yet. I am sure that will not be overlooked.

Forty_Caliber: I've never had a smoked turkey, but it sounds DELICIOUS. Our family normally either cooks the turkey in the oven or fries it... What kind of thanksgiving would it be without desserts! Those are always a big hit in our family!

danbuter 11-11-2013 10:04 PM

Turkey, mashed potatoes, filling, gravy, cranberry sauce, corn, sweet potatoes, soda, and wine.

Dawgluver 11-11-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danbuter (Post 1318753)
Turkey, mashed potatoes, filling, gravy, cranberry sauce, corn, sweet potatoes, soda, and wine.

Aha! I had to look to see where you were from, Danbuter, had only previously heard the PA relatives call stuffing/dressing filling! And you're from PA!

CraigC 11-12-2013 08:06 AM

The components of the meal are based on the most importent part of eating that day. The after the post meal nap, T-Day sammich. Piled high with turkey, dressing and jellied cranberry!:yum:

BTW, don't forget the Cold Duck!

lyndalou 11-12-2013 09:32 AM

We are invited to friends' home for the holiday. She will cook the turkey, dressing and gravy and the rest of us will bring a side. I have offered to bring a green bean casserole (not from canned stuff but fresh) and/or a potato dish. Haven't heard back, so I'm not sure. I always bring a mince meat pie for her SO. He loves the stuff.I can't wait. This post is making my mouth water.

CarolPa 11-12-2013 11:42 AM

I am hosting Thanksgiving, as usual. I don't invite anyone, they just assume I'm cooking and they come. LOL I never know who's going to show up until the door bell rings. They complain that I don't have enough seating, but there's always more than enough food and they keep coming. I am cooking:

Turkey with bread stuffing and gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Corn
Sweet Potatoes
Cranberry sauce
Pumpkin Pie
Pickles, olives, veggies for munching

They will wander in with a dish of some sort that they choose to bring, a side dish or a dessert. As long as there's wine and beer, they're happy. DH and I have always wanted to go to the casino for Thanksgiving and eat their Thanksgiving buffet, but if I did that, my family would all starve. No one knows the first thing about cooking a turkey. At $20 per person, I am not taking them to the casino with me.

CarolPa 11-13-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgluver (Post 1318761)
Aha! I had to look to see where you were from, Danbuter, had only previously heard the PA relatives call stuffing/dressing filling! And you're from PA!


He must be from the eastern end. I have lived in PA all my life and never heard it called filling, even when we lived in Philly. And he says "soda" whereas we say "pop."

Aunt Bea 11-13-2013 08:25 AM

I always connect the term filling with Pennsylvania Dutch or Amish cooking.

Some recipes use mashed potato instead of bread or in addition to bread.

CarolPa 11-13-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aunt Bea (Post 1319009)
I always connect the term filling with Pennsylvania Dutch or Amish cooking.

Some recipes use mashed potato instead of bread or in addition to bread.


You are right! I googled "Thanksgiving Filling" and came up with several Amish recipes and they included potatoes.

Michellecooks79 11-14-2013 10:43 AM

I have to find my recipe for sweet potato casserole. My mom is a vegetarian/raw foodist/organic/no processed foods. I have no idea what she will eat.

GotGarlic 11-14-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michellecooks79 (Post 1319227)
I have to find my recipe for sweet potato casserole. My mom is a vegetarian/raw foodist/organic/no processed foods. I have no idea what she will eat.

Yikes. How about a bowl of nuts and berries and a plate of celery and carrot sticks?

CarolPa 11-14-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michellecooks79 (Post 1319227)
I have to find my recipe for sweet potato casserole. My mom is a vegetarian/raw foodist/organic/no processed foods. I have no idea what she will eat.


Maybe she can bring a small casserole of something she usually eats and others can try it also.

GotGarlic 11-14-2013 10:55 AM

It will likely be just me and DH, but I still make a full Thanksgiving dinner because I LOVE turkey and leftovers. I get the smallest one I can find, usually about 12 pounds, and roast it. I'll make stuffing with raisins, because DH likes it that way, mashed potatoes, gravy, roasted green beans and yeast rolls. Pumpkin pie with freshly whipped cream for dessert.

Because my mom recently had shoulder surgery, I doubt she and my stepfather will want to travel on Thanksgiving, and their house is tiny with only one bedroom, so I'm thinking we will go up on Friday, bring something for a big midday meal and spend the day with them. Whew, run on much, GG? :rofl:

Cheryl J 11-14-2013 02:35 PM

My family loves the traditional, so it's pretty much the same every year - roast turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, dressing, roasted sweet potatoes, steamed green beans with almonds, and homemade cranberry sauce.

I've been really wanting to try Ina Garten's turkey roulade for a couple of years now, but I must stick with the traditional roast turkey for Thanksgiving. I have to agree that it makes the best turkey sandwiches, and I love those almost as much as the original dinner itself. :yum:

Roasted Turkey Roulade Recipe : Ina Garten : Recipes : Food Network

Andy M. 11-14-2013 03:14 PM

I made a turkey roulade once. I bought and deboned a whole turkey so there was both light and dark meat. It turned out very nicely and was delicious. It also cooked faster and more evenly so dry white meat was not an issue.

That said, it's just not the same as a Thanksgiving turkey.

Cheryl J 11-14-2013 03:30 PM

Good to know, Andy. And I agree, Thanksgiving just wouldn't be the same for my family without the traditional golden roast turkey - with the leftover sandwiches, turkey casseroles, etc. Will try the roulade on a non-holiday meal. :yum:

CarolPa 11-15-2013 10:06 AM

Has anyone here ever made a deep-fried turkey? A couple years ago I bought an electric turkey fryer but I've never used it. It's meant to be used indoors but I would imagine I could put it out on the back porch for safety reasons. The thing that deterred me was the book says the oil has go cool for 5 hours before draining it. I don't have anywhere in my house that I could put that fryer for 5 hours when I have a house full of company. I'm so afraid someone would bump it and get burned with the hot oil. I just had to buy that turkey fryer because I have to buy every new kitchen gaget that comes out.

Andy M. 11-15-2013 10:10 AM

I've fried a few turkeys in my time. Done right, they are fantastic. You can't stuff it but you can do the stuffing in the oven. That's what I do every year for a roast turkey.

I'd recommend frying outdoors. There's a lot of steam and grease in the air. Cover the fryer and leave it on your deck or yard to cool. It takes a long time for that large quantity of oil to cool down so it can be handled safely. It can stay there overnight if you want.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.