8/20/2019 - World Mosquito Day Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
World Mosquito Day, observed annually on 20 August, is a commemoration of British doctor Sir Ronald Ross's discovery in 1897 that female mosquitoes transmit malaria between humans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Mosquito_Day

The mosquito is the world's deadliest animal, killing 830,000 humans per year.

https://www.businessinsider.com/bill-gates-mosquitoes-deadliest-animals-2017-4

And then there is the Alaskan mosquito...

Skeeter.jpg

Sue Veed is making ribeyes for us tonight, with sides of potato salad and a house salad.

Baked wings w/avocado creme sauce and buffalo sauce/terriaki sauces.
Also cornbread I made the other day as side.

IMG_1699.jpgIMG_1700.jpg

Isn't the mosquito Minnesota's state "bird"? With 10,000 lakes they must have 10,000,000,000 mosquitoes.

Himself won't have to dodge mosquitoes at the grill tonight. I bought Stonefire naan pizza planks. Trying to make up my mind if I want to use both for his-and-her pizzas with leftovers, or use one and have his-and-her halves.

I'll have to find some mosquito larvae, and feed some of my fish!:LOL:

Since it's still horribly hot here, I made what may be my last batch of gazpacho for the season (though I do see a lot of green tomatoes and blossoms on the plants now). One more day of this 100°+ heat index weather, then, RELIEF! Assuming they are right...

Mini Lasagna (layers had no boil noodles, sauce, mozzarella, ricotta, parmesan reggiano & pecorino romano cheese mixture, meat, mushrooms and hard boiled egg).

mini_lasagna_082019_1_IMG_6130.jpg

mini_lasagna_082019_2_IMG_6132.jpg

I'll have to find some mosquito larvae, and feed some of my fish!:LOL:

Since it's still horribly hot here, I made what may be my last batch of gazpacho for the season (though I do see a lot of green tomatoes and blossoms on the plants now). One more day of this 100°+ heat index weather, then, RELIEF! Assuming they are right...

About one more month of it, here. :mad: But, at least it is too hot and dry for the mosquitoes these last few weeks. :)

I have to mow the backyard, once the sun sets. I'll probably just graze on light foods tonight.

CD

While we both had salads, I think that I won the healthy pizza contest. : lol: Himself's had red sauce, Italian sausage, pepperoni, ham, mushrooms, and onions; mine had white sauce, broccoli, mushrooms, tomato, and grilled chicken. Both had mozzarella.IMG_20190820_203527282.jpg

We went out to a local Italian place we like. I had carbonara and DH had manicotti stuffed with ricotta and spinach and served with a rosé sauce. It was good, but I like my own carbonara better. ;)

Looks good. What goes in your white pizza sauce?
Thanks, taxy. I usually mix up ricotta with a bit of parm, basil (fresh if I have it), oregano, and something to thin it a bit. Sometimes it's half-and-half, sometimes it's white wine. I didn't have any ricotta, but I always have a jar of Alfredo sauce from Aldi on hand. I spread a bit of the alfredo sauce on the naan. Just enough to make the other ingredients slide when I would go to take a bite. :LOL:

Thanks, taxy. I usually mix up ricotta with a bit of parm, basil (fresh if I have it), oregano, and something to thin it a bit. Sometimes it's half-and-half, sometimes it's white wine. I didn't have any ricotta, but I always have a jar of Alfredo sauce from Aldi on hand. I spread a bit of the alfredo sauce on the naan. Just enough to make the other ingredients slide when I would go to take a bite. :LOL:

Thank you. :flowers:

Me, I'm stuck in th hospital with a wound-vac attached to me left heal I'm gettig intravenous antibiotics to heal he infection that was in he bone. so I dine on fine hospital food every day and nigh. Thankfully, it;s much better than I thought it would be. They make poached eggs just right. I have those on buttered English muffins, along with cream of wheat cereal, and a puce of fruit. There lunch menu Varese. The starch is usually egg noodles, or white rice, with gravy that sometimes tastes good, and sometimes tastes like it was made from bouillon. It's always edible though. The veggies are steamed, and usually a little crisp, just the way I like them The meat ranges from ssliced turkey, to meatballs (that have a great texture, and are lightly seasoned with salt, and parmesan cheese. I also get fresh strawberries, or frut cups, sometimes jello, sometimes a small pice of desert.

Dinners have been very similar to lunch, just with a little different menu (same as lunch menu, but one day we'll have fish for lunch, and two days later we'll have fish for dinner.

I have to state that I am impressed with there fish preparations. it's not dressed in panko, or tempura, or even beer batter. But sometimes it has breadcrumbs coating it. The cod has the crumb coating. All fish is baked, and I have to say to perfection. It's cooked through, but not at all overcooked. It is tender, and juicy. The other fish they serve is great lakes whitefish, and is delicious. The fish is seasoned well, but without too much fuss.

The interesting thing to me is that though I can usually make food that is better than I can get eating out, i am satisfied with the meals here. The first few days were a little strange, as everything is low on no-salt. But the natural flavors of the food shine through better without a lot of salt. I was given a little paper packet of salt with one meal, and I sprinkled it lightly on my food. I found that the salt I used was too much, and overpowered the great flavor of what I put it on.

To keep myself entertained, I've been busy putting new cooking lessons in my blog, paying on-computer Risk, against the compter, Making realistic models of fighter jets from printer paper, glue, and sisors, and various other things. Of course I've been sharing my recipes with all of he staff, and they seem to like me. Go figure.:LOL:

Tonight's dinner was baked whitefish, with steamed carrots, cranberry jelly, apple juice, and a small lemon tart, oh, and egg noodles with gravy. Because my kidneys are shot, and spill protein, I have to eat double protein portions with every meal, and dirk a Nepro brand protein shake.

The nursing staff and aides who are young enough to have children have really like my paper planes. I've made realistic looking F/A 81 Hornets, SR71 blackbirds, and some experimental designs. Best of all, made with proper wing shapes, and little paper ailerons, elevators, and rudders, the planes actually glided when yo threw them. And by bending he control surfaces. you could adjust pitch, yaw, and roll. I'm kinda proud of them. And though I've tied many midge and mosquito flies on hooks as small as 22 and 28, I haven't had to swat more than two or three mosquitoes this whole summer. I am stuck in bead though, as I can at put any wieght on my left foot until my heel hels.
So, tht's my life in a few paragraphs. I hope all of you are doing really well, and enjoying the last of this summer.

Oh, and if any of you have experience with dry-aging beef at home, in your fridge, please share what you know in another thread. i've heard that aging for as little as four days makes a dramatic difference in the tenderness and flavor. But I've also read that the natural enzymes don't really stat to work their magic until 30 days, with 40 being the magic number to get the best flavored, and testured beef. I purchased a half cow (Scottish Highland) that is supposed to be premium beef. It's as tough as rawhide. I want to get it tender without using chemicals, or beating it to deat. I've read very good things about dry-aging. I have to try it when I get out of here, just a douple steaks pulled from the freezer and put in the fridge at a time. Please, don'e make educated guess with this topic. Respond only if you have actual, and valid experience. Thanks.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, sure hope you're home soon and enjoying your own home cookin'. :chef:
Wonderful sounding meals here this evening, as usual! :yum: I made huevos rancheros this afternoon, and sliced up a mango for a side.

Edit...we don't have mosquitos here, thank goodness! Like Casey said, too hot and dry here as well...not much water here for them to breed in.

Last edited:
Every time I see the title of this thread, my bites start itching. I got about 10 bites at the BBQ on Sunday. Itch, itch, itch, itch.

Crockpot BBQ pork roast, mashed potatoes, and sweet corn so I could make pulled BBQ pork on a bun, oven fries, and green beans for Wednesday's dinner *(and for Mom's lunch wrap).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom