Any hesitation of using canned food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
I just read a recipe for 7 canned soup. That's a lot of food out of the can. I wonder if canned food is that healthy.

Group campouts like to do things like the 7 canned soup stuff. You can get the no-salt canned veggies. At campouts, generally speaking, we will have one person in charge of browning a bunch of ground beef (or chicken, or turkey) along with a bunch of onions...in a huge pot. Then, each person brings one can of veggies...the NON-creamed type...and adds it to the pot.

It makes for an easy pot-luck and plenty of hot food. Making it home, ehhhh? I think one can do much better with fresh ingredients. But in a pinch, it could work.

Food producers are starting to produce canned food with less additives. The ingredient lists are getting shorter. The nutrition labels tell the story.
I've found low sugar oil free salad dressing on the shelves. Beans with no or low sodium (legume type). Tomato produces (sauce diced crushed) with less sodium. Even Walmart has come out with spaghetti sauces with natural ingredients and shorter ingredient lists on them. Aldis has also been appealing to the consumers that want shorter ingredient lists, less or no oil, salt, sugar, in their freezer department with vegetable dishes. Most grocery stores carry hashbrown potatoes, no additives.

It's a pain to read the labels but there are good canned foods out there. Bring your reading glasses, maybe a magnifying glass next time.

No kidding!
when I had kids at home, I'd take them shopping with me. THEY could read the labels (which was a crutch for me) without glasses. Now that it is just mr bliss and I....URG, we struggle and have reading glasses and more than one magnifying glasses (if we remember them).

If you have a smart phone with a camera, take a picture of the ingredients list. Then you can enlarge what you need to read.

I use my phone camera a lot if I can't see the price tag at the edge of a top shelf. I just raise my hands and angle the camera to capture the shelf price tag. I no longer need to wait for someone taller to read it for me.

sorry george, think we hijacked your thread, lol

I use my phone to read the price tag on the bottom shelf! bending down just might mean I can't get back up, at least not without pulling the shelves down a'top of me. :LOL:

lol sorry george! I use a lot of canned food, but mostly home canned, but there are good manufactered canned foods too!

Cooking Goddess, we just started using smart phones this past year. I'll have to show mr bliss that feature-picture-enlarge it. That's such a good idea. (if I can figure it out!)

Another option, sans can, is to use freeze dried soup or veggie mixes, and freeze dried meats. There are some pretty tasty options available that are made for campers. One popular brand is Mountain House. Lipton's chicken, or onion soup mixes taste good as well. To improve your soups, add dried, or fresh chopped peppers, rice, or pasta.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

lol sorry george! I use a lot of canned food, but mostly home canned, but there are good manufactered canned foods too!

Cooking Goddess, we just started using smart phones this past year. I'll have to show mr bliss that feature-picture-enlarge it. That's such a good idea. (if I can figure it out!)

Could you name some good manufactered canned foods.

Could you name some good manufactered canned foods.

George, most of the time, it is about reading the label. ;) I look for things made in this Country (or a short list of others), and with a list of ingredients that I know and can pronounce...if you know what I mean?

I like to keep a jar or Rao's Marinara in the pantry. I can make my own marinara, but when I need a quick dish, Rao's is my go-to. It is made in Italy and the ingredients list is: Italian Whole Peeled Tomatoes, Olive Oil, Onions, Salt, Garlic, Basil, Black Pepper, Oregano. Simple and much like I would do, if I made it myself.

So, bring your glasses, if you need them, and start checking the labels. What your local shops carry may be different from mine, etc.

George, most of the time, it is about reading the label. ;) I look for things made in this Country (or a short list of others), and with a list of ingredients that I know and can pronounce...if you know what I mean?

I like to keep a jar or Rao's Marinara in the pantry. I can make my own marinara, but when I need a quick dish, Rao's is my go-to. It is made in Italy and the ingredients list is: Italian Whole Peeled Tomatoes, Olive Oil, Onions, Salt, Garlic, Basil, Black Pepper, Oregano. Simple and much like I would do, if I made it myself.

So, bring your glasses, if you need them, and start checking the labels. What your local shops carry may be different from mine, etc.

Are you sure that they are being honest in their labeling?

Food Lion brand, NO Fat refried beans
Old El Paso Fat-Free (not low in salt) refried beans
Kroger or Kroger owned store in your area that sells simple truth organic, refried beans
Canned fruit and legumes: Walmart has organic, no sugar added, no or low salt, and bpa free
(dried beans and legumes are very inexpensive and either on the stove or in an instapot, these are more economical and can be cooked w/o salt or oil, if using canned, make sure to rinse them to lower salt content)
Amy's organic vegan soups

Tomatoes: organic no salt BPA cartons at Whole Foods

Pears: whole foods, 365 everyday organic, trader joes, both in their own juice
Tomatoes: Simply Natural from Costco

The last time we stayed out of town, we went to a grocery store, not a national chain, found low salt, oil free salad dressing, vegetables w/no or low salt, kidney beans low salt. It really takes a bit of time reading all the labels when you're in an unfamiliar store. Also, don't forget to look for a 'natural' section, where some of the stuff might be hiding out.

Be careful with EU labelling.

If you have any food allergies DO NOT use EU origin canned products.

I break out into a rash If I use EU canned products.

The can labelling is not a manufacturer's label but a wholesaler branded label.

The can labelling lists only the ingredients used by the canning factory.

In many cases the liquids used for canning are manufactured in a different factory.

Sometimes by a contract manufacturer.

EU laws stipulate preservatives and additives documentation are issued to the original manufacturer.

The liquids manufacturer issues compliance documentation to the canning manufacturer, therefore, not required to print the contents on the can because it is already EU compliance certified.

Back
Top Bottom