Any Indian spices that you recommend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Indian cooking is said to take you through sweet to sour and back to spicy in one single dish and the secret is in the spice blends. I'm talking turmeric that smells so good, a cumin that's smoky, and coriander that will give you warm sensation and the list goes on!
These are the spices : Garam Masala, Turmeric, Cumin, Chili powder.
Any good online grocery store can provide you these spices

Is there such a thing as a most common indian sauce or indian curry sauce that someone that has little experience can try?
You bet.

It's called Onion Tomato Bhuna Masala. This is a basic and a base sauce found all over India for dishes with lentils and to be used in quite a few other dishes.

It's onion, tomato, minced ginger & garlic, and spices like cumin, coriander, turmeric and some people will use garam marsala as well, i do. Heat can be anything you want or not. I normally use Kashmiri chili powder.

Where possible use whole spices, dry and roast in a pan then grind before using.

There's lots of recipes on line but the basic method is to sautee the onion and tomato in some oil, traditionally and the one I use is ghee, but considering your vegan use what ever you want. Add the spices and continue to cook for 15 minutes or so. Allow to cool somewhat and into a vitamix or similar. It can be frozen easily.

This is the ubiquitous Indian "gravy" and can be used as is or part of many specific Indian dishes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom