Anyone make their own pizza?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am beginning to think that that is the way to go.

Oh, no! Don't give up before you've even tried!
smileys-sad-438858.gif

Maybe we can make it easier...

1) Store bought crust will be just fine.
2) What kind of sauce do you want to try? Red, white, other?
3) What kind of pizza do you want to make? Thin, thick, pan?
4) What are your favorite toppings?
5) What equipment do you have or are willing to purchase? (Oven, pans, stones, peel, etc)

With the above as directions, I'm sure there will be a few responses with suggestions or recipes!!
smileys-yes-and-no-068329.gif

It adds more work and one more thing that could go wrong. The point is to be able to choose the sauce and toppings that one prefers. Also, sometimes it's good to test things out with some of the ingredients pre-made. Why invest a lot of time and effort if it turns out that it didn't make enough difference to be worth doing it yourself? If it is good enough to be worth extra effort, then making the dough oneself another time might have more appeal.
No, I disagree. Putting toppings on a pizza is not very difficult, and a "pizza" is the whole thing, not just the topping. Pizza dough is so easy to make, I´d never dream of buying it.
As for " investing a lot of time and effort..." I thought that was what we all did when we tried a new recipe, regardless of how easy/difficult it is.The whole point is to spend time and effort making something new in your repertoire.

I have concluded the only way to get a great pizza is to go to the pizza shop.

You know, it's funny Bones, there are so many really good pizza places on my way back and forth to work that making my own that would be equivalent just is too much work.

I cook because I love to cook. It's not always cheaper, and is never easier than purchasing something ready made. However, it satisfies the creative, artistic, scientific, and engineering sides of me. I've made foods that were nothing short of spectacular. And conversely, I've made some really bad food. For me, learning what makes my perfect pizza gives me a great tasting meal, and scratches both the creative, and engineering itch.

If you just want to order pizza, no one is faulting you for that.

Easiest pizza - Walmart has ready made, uncooked pizzas that you can purchase, with a pretty tasty crust. I sometimes buy the three cheese variety, and other toppings that I'd like on my pizza, assemble it, and bake it off in the oven at about 400' F. No special tools are required, except maybe a pizza pan.

Tip, though a mezzaluna, sharp knife, or pizza wheel will all cut the slices, I have found that the best tool for the job is kitchen shears.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

No, I disagree. Putting toppings on a pizza is not very difficult, and a "pizza" is the whole thing, not just the topping. Pizza dough is so easy to make, I´d never dream of buying it.
As for " investing a lot of time and effort..." I thought that was what we all did when we tried a new recipe, regardless of how easy/difficult it is.The whole point is to spend time and effort making something new in your repertoire.

You are welcome to disagree. But, what you find easy may not be easy for everyone. Also, some of us don't have as many spoons* as you obviously have. For some of us, things that were easy when we were younger or more able bodied are no longer easy. Sometimes the things that were easy are not difficult, but they use up too many spoons.

Investing time and effort is certainly part of cooking. How much of your day do you want to spend making a meal? For those of us with fewer spoons, we have to factor in rest periods in how long it takes to make something. We also have to guess if there are even enough spoons to make the entire dish or meal.

*Spoon theory on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoon_theory

I absolutely see your point, taxlady.
Still, given the questions that Georgevan has asked over the past month or so, he sounds like a curious guy who wants to learn new things about cooking; which is why I suggested he make his pizza from scratch.

Lol, the ladies have their spoons out.

Run, kk, run! They may not have many, but they will beat you with their very last one all the same.

Spoons don't leave forensic marks...

Last edited:
Investing time and effort is certainly part of cooking. How much of your day do you want to spend making a meal? For those of us with fewer spoons, we have to factor in rest periods in how long it takes to make something. We also have to guess if there are even enough spoons to make the entire dish or meal.

*Spoon theory on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoon_theory

+1

I spent the majority of 2021 less than healthy.
As the primary daily cook, felling bad took a toll on our dining enjoyment.
From scratch? Not so much these past 10 months. Authentic meals? Possibly, never again, in my home. Dining out? Increased 5x's.

Will I ever again immerse myself in putting together meals we love and are proud of?. I doubt it.

Things change and we suffer if we don't change also.

Ross

JustCooking, so sorry to hear that eating out is your only choice. We all have choices to make and it's too bad that is the only one you have.

I make our own pizza. Finding oil free whole grain pizza crusts is harder than making them myself. I like corn meal on the bottom, for the crispiness.
I make the sauce, then prepare toppings. Cooked chopped onions, green olives minced, diced marinated olives, tomato slices thinly sliced and drained, mushrooms sliced and cooked, chopped red peppers, sometimes diced pineapple.
Sometimes we make it without a sauce on top, sometimes a creamy veg sauce is drizzled over it.

Baked on parchment until the crust is slightly browning.

Run, kk, run! They may not have many, but they will beat you with their very last one all the same.

I reckon the spoon theory is something like the flat earth theory - but that´s my opinion:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
But I still believe that, if you´re going to make pizza from scratch, then do it, even if it takes you 10 hours and the result is disastrous.
You tried it, at least, you made it, at least... next time go to Pîzza Hut if you want!

I reckon the spoon theory is something like the flat earth theory - but that´s my opinion:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:...

Gah, you guys are just mean. :glare: You must be young, or healthy and full of energy. I know that there is something else you guys are full of, too...

Perhaps this is one of those "teachable moments" you hear mentioned in the news when something happens. I suggest you read up on real medical conditions like this one on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome from the Mayo Clinic, or this explanation from the Cleveland Clinic regarding Lupus. Both conditions, along with others you may jest about, are real, affect people you may know and love, and deserve recognition. Perhaps if you put your "but everyone should blah-blah-blah" attitude away and have a little compassion for those less energetic than you this world would be a little better place.

Stepping off my soapbox now - carefully, since I'm old and don't want to break a hip.

CG -

methinks the spoon quantity issues is a metaphor.
I'm old, I'm creaky, the stand mixer now lives on the counter because lifting it out of the bottom shelf became . . .
the bottom line is not everyone has the time, energy or effort to do things 'from scratch' - a couple shortcuts are very attractive.
that's not "bad" - that's not "good" - it's just "reality"

doing a home-made pizza using a 'bought' crust still outranks semi-cold, delivered-sometime, commercial offerings.

I agree with most everything you said, dc. But metaphor or not, chronic medical conditions that cause people real problems should not be the fodder for someone else's jokes.

Now, if someone with a medical condition wants to joke about themselves, that's fine in my book. Just don't make fun at the expense of others who might be struggling.

Oh, no! Don't give up before you've even tried!
smileys-sad-438858.gif

Maybe we can make it easier...

1) Store bought crust will be just fine.
2) What kind of sauce do you want to try? Red, white, other?
3) What kind of pizza do you want to make? Thin, thick, pan?
4) What are your favorite toppings?
5) What equipment do you have or are willing to purchase? (Oven, pans, stones, peel, etc)

With the above as directions, I'm sure there will be a few responses with suggestions or recipes!!
smileys-yes-and-no-068329.gif

I have a iron frying pan that may work good. Yes or no? But how do I keep the dough from sticking to pan

Last edited:
I agree with most everything you said, dc. But metaphor or not, chronic medical conditions that cause people real problems should not be the fodder for someone else's jokes.

Now, if someone with a medical condition wants to joke about themselves, that's fine in my book. Just don't make fun at the expense of others who might be struggling.

not a problem. but I'm simply not following the outrage.
people who extend their personal problems/issues/conditions onto the entire world . . . well, just not my problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom