Apple Jelly substitute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
I have this recipe that I have been using for years for my appetizer meatballs. The sauce part consist of ketchup apple jelly currant jelly and cornstarch as a thickener , always a huge hit.

My problem is lately I have been unable to find apple jelly in the groceries store. Hard to believe, always was available.

So My question is what would be a substitute for apple jelly? other then making my own.

Thank you all

Apple juice. If you melt apple jelly, you get a liquid much like concentrated apple juice. So I'd get some apple juice and boil it down a bit to concentrate the flavor and go for it.

If it is being mixed with meatballs, ketchup, etc... I would use whatever jelly I like smeared on my toast in the morning.

I think that using one flavor of jelly would work just as well as two or more flavors.

The first time I saw the meatball appetizer made with ketchup or chili sauce it called for currant jelly then it started appearing with grape jelly. The jelly provides a little sweet to the tang of the ketchup. It also gives a little body and shine to the sauce but most of the flavor from the jelly seems to get lost in the sauce.

Good luck!

Last edited:
My mom did the equal parts of grape jelly and chili sauce, but hubbie likes this one much better. I have used all currant and the taste is totally different.
Thanks Andy I will try the apple juice. I also have used blackberry . The apple jelly really makes it. Thought next time I make them I will tried peach jelly.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom