Are rechargeable batteries durable??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
I know rechargeable batteries are there for many years,
however, I have never used it.

I am using a wireless mouse that eats battery so quickly, I am aware
to turn it off when it is not in use but usually less than a week one
AA battery will be used up.

I am thinking if I should change to rechargeable batteries, however,
are they usually really rechargeable for hundreds of cycles as advertised?
or could they ruin within short time

I have had rechargeable batteries in the past. They lasted a year or two. I got some with newer technology - same thing. There is newer technology since the last time I have bought them. I think they may last longer now.

I'm thinking of getting some. But, this time I will get a small charger and only a few batteries until I see how well the newer tech works.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the type of battery. I have had a rechargeable battery in my Sony camera for at least 10 years. It's still recharging and holding a charge.

I rarely have to change the batteries in my mouse. I don't even turn it off (unless I'm traveling with it somewhere) Changing it maybe once a year is probably a lot!

Kenny - are you changing both batteries when one dies? Try changing the 2 of them at the same time. It is never advisable to only change one. The devise requires two to operate. If you only change one it will drain the 2nd one faster in order to get enough energy. (imho)

I rarely have to change the batteries in my mouse. I don't even turn it off (unless I'm traveling with it somewhere) Changing it maybe once a year is probably a lot!

Kenny - are you changing both batteries when one dies? Try changing the 2 of them at the same time. It is never advisable to only change one. The devise requires two to operate. If you only change one it will drain the 2nd one faster in order to get enough energy. (imho)
I've read that, too. I think it's either that or there's a technical problem with the mouse itself. The batteries for a wireless mouse should not run down that fast.

kenny, you might be moving the switch to "off", but is your mouse really turned off? I had a similar issue. Turns out that there is probably something wrong with the internal switch on my mouse; sometimes the switch was set in the "off" position but the green indicator light would still light up when I moved the mouse. To make sure the mouse is really off, you can always take the battery out when you're done with it for the night.

...Kenny - are you changing both batteries when one dies? Try changing the 2 of them at the same time. It is never advisable to only change one. The devise requires two to operate. If you only change one it will drain the 2nd one faster in order to get enough energy. (imho)
I have a skinny mouse - it uses just one battery.

Try using good quality regular batteries if you don't want to go rechargeable.

We use laser levels at work. I used to just buy dollar store batteries and they would last a few hours and be done.

Good lithium AA batteries will run all day and even the next.

Quality batteries make a huge difference.

Never had much luck with rechargeable AA or AAA type batteries.

Try using good quality regular batteries if you don't want to go rechargeable.

We use laser levels at work. I used to just buy dollar store batteries and they would last a few hours and be done.

Good lithium AA batteries will run all day and even the next.

Quality batteries make a huge difference.

Never had much luck with rechargeable AA or AAA type batteries.

Exactly.

Ross

Frankly, I can believe you’ve never used anything with rechargeable batteries !! You have a cell phone, do you not?

Oh, I forgot to mention, I was talking about dry cell batteries e.g. AA and AAA etc, not the Lithium one

Take flashlights for instance. All my flashlights use rechargeable lithium ion batteries, commonly the 14500 & 18650 sizes. I’m done with using standard 1.5 volt AAA, AA, C, & D cells when it comes to flashlights.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom