Baking in my new GE Toaster Oven!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trudilu

Assistant Cook
This is a question about ‘Baking in Toaster Ovens’. I just bought a GE Toaster Oven to cook a few dishes I usually cook in my oven. I already cooked a frozen 'pizza' which came out fine. The other dish that I cook frequently is ’Frozen Tempura Shrimp’ (Trader Joes). My oven requires me to preheat to $425° (takes about 10-15 minutes or so); then cook on each side for 10 minutes.

I tried to bake them in the Toaster oven - by choosing 'bake' and it shows me when I am ‘preheating’ - it preheats SO quickly - after about 3 minutes! and the ’start’ button lights up. Does that mean it’s ready to start ‘baking’? It preheats SO fast that I am not sure.

Also, can I put a silicone mat on top of the baking dish? I use it in my oven all the time.

Thank you.

Silicone mats are good in ovens to 475 - or at least that's what temp I've used them iat in my toaster oven (and regular oven).
I give my toaster oven a good 5 minutes or so to preheat - it does not tell me when it's ready. Not had a problem! Congrats

Yes, they heat up fast because the oven space is so small. You can start baking as soon as the preheating ends. What's the point of the silicone mat? Is that instead of covering with foil?

Oh, did I misunderstand? Trudi, I thought you meant using the silicone mat "on top of the pan" . Did you mean as a cover over the dish?

If that's the case, I don't see why not but I also don't see why. Moisture that would gather under it would just run down the outside edges and make a bit of a mess, no? Foil would be crimped to the edge of the pan and moisture would likely run back into the pan itself.

Yes, they heat up fast because the oven space is so small. You can start baking as soon as the preheating ends. What's the point of the silicone mat? Is that instead of covering with foil?
Thanks for all you answers. First, I was surprised that it heated up so quickly - so I wasn't sure if it was time to bake or not!! When I cooked them in the oven, I used a pyrex baking pan; with the silicone mat on top - it protects the baking dish from getting dirty, plus any grease drips down...easy to clean.

The toaster oven comes with 1 metal baking dish. Just wondering if it would be better to put my own baking dish on top of it, instead of using just the baking dish alone. I was thinking of baking them the same way I do in the oven!

See attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-15 at 5.56.29 PM.JPG
    Screen Shot 2023-04-15 at 5.56.29 PM.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 10
Thank you! It tells me when the preheating is done - was very surprised it only took 2 minutes! And, yes, it is instead of covering with foil; any grease falls into the crevices when baked.

I hadn't understood that you meant you were putting the mat under the food. I do that with sheet pans all the time. I would do it in my toaster oven, but my mats are too big and would hit the sides of the toaster oven. How big are your tempura shrimp? If they aren't too small, I would probably just put them straight on the oven rack. :eek::unsure::angel:

That is much more than your average "toaster oven"!! Lots of modes and options. You'll have a lot of fun with that. I think the others have covered your main questions, but post another q if not?
Bed N Bath was going out of business; and they suddenly had these GE toaster ovens for sale for $79! I think the regular price is close to $200. So on impulse I grabbed it. Of course I had to move around a lot in my small kitchen for it to fit! Now I have to practice using it!!!

I would do it in my toaster oven, but my mats are too big and would hit the sides of the toaster oven. How big are your tempura shrimp? If they aren't too small, I would probably just put them straight on the oven rack.
The mat that I have IS too big for the toaster oven, but it will fit in a smaller pyrex pan. As long as the shrimp aren't touching each other ; I can make them fit; I guess I'll just have to experiment.

I bought several silicone mats from the $$tore and then just cut them to fit the pans.
I have several full size ones for the regular oven as well.

I need to pick up some more dollar store silicone mats. I have thought about cutting them to fit, but I sometimes use both of the ones I have at the same time.

I bought several silicone mats from the $$tore and then just cut them to fit the pans.
I have several full size ones for the regular oven as well.
What do these matts look like? The one I have wasn't cheap - so it must be another kind.

20230416_153340.jpg

These are for my toaster oven - they are approx. 8 x 6 on the inside. The silicone sheets are floppy rubbery like mats. I folded the top one.
I do have another full size for a regular size cookie sheet. Couldn't find it to take a pic but it is bubbly white with red trim around the edge.

these are stained but I don't care, my gal pal tosses hers and buys new every once in a while. I have other things to spend my $2.00 on. LOL

If you go to close-up, you can see that one side (top side) is embossed ever so lightly, bottom side is smooth and slick.

I have another question about 'baking' - now that I have my silcone mats, etc. The recipe calls for 'preheating' to 450° - then bake on each side for 10 minutes. Pretty straightfoward for an oven.

When the toaster oven is 'preheating' - should the food already be in the toaster oven? Or - is it put in when the 'preheating phase is done? In the oven, when I preheat - the food is not yet in the oven. I only put it in once it has 'preheated' - my oven beeps and tells me when to put in the food.

Anyone?

Back
Top Bottom