Blender vs juicer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
I was going to buy a blender but then I found a juicer in the back of my closet. Just wondering what the difference is and what a blender can do that a juicer can't do and vice-versa.

I hade a juicer, and the biggest difference ( in making juice)compared to a blender is that the juicer presses the contents through a metal mesh which extracts just the juice, and eliminates the majority of the pulp and solids.

A blender basically blends everything, without eliminating anything,

A blender is more practical for cooking purposes, where as a juicer ( or at least the one I had) is a once trick pony, its makes juice.

Things may be a lot different now. The one I had was at least 10 years ago. Wound up donating it, as I hardly used it.

I had a juicer once. Took way too much fruit/veg to produce just a half glass of juice that I only used it a couple of times before I tossed it into the trash. Was a complete waste of time and money for me.

I had a juicer way back - 80s or early 90s - and I felt the same way. Why waste all that stuff? Granted, it went into the compost, but still! I think it was less than 50% that I got out of it, some things less. I remember years later some more expensive models said that they got 80%, but there is still waste.

I have read that some people stir the pulp back into the juice, so it won't go to waste. I also read that some people use some pulps in bread, in cakes, and some other stuff.

Do you have another use for a blender? You could give the juicer a try and see what you think. I wouldn't have recommended buying a juicer, but you already have one.

Last edited:
I had a juicer way back - 80s or early 90s - and I felt the same way. Why waste all that stuff? Granted, it went into the compost, but still! I think it was less than 50% that I got out of it, some things less. I remember years later some more expensive models said that they got 80%, but there is still waste.
I also got one , probably in the early 90's as a gift. We asked for it, cause it just seemed like something we'd use a lot. We had the same experience having to use half the produce drawer just to get a glass of juice.

Years later (Probably about 10 years ago), I was walking to a co worker, who was on a health kick, and explaining my pas experience with juicers. He had gotten one that he loved. He was always raving about it, so I looked into it. Apparently, there were 2 kinds, as far as the way they break down the fruit and veggies. One is better for softer produce and the other better for the harder stuff ( like carrots). The first one I had was no only 20 years prior, but also was the kind better for soft stuff. I figured, with all the things I have in the garden, along with he new technology, maybe I'd use it more. I remember having to cut things small enough to fit into the opening to get juiced. I didn't use it frequently enough to leave it out on the counter, so I stored it in the basement and would bring it up when I wanted to make juice. Well, we all know what that means. It sat there for years until I finally cleaned the room filled with all my gadgets waiting to make their trip up the stairs to be used, , along with the other stuff (a hand cranked grater, electric Roti maker, a meat slicer for cutting eggplant really thin and even, an electric quesadilla maker, and probably a bunch of other non-memorable things I thought was a good idea to buy at the time. All got donated.

I think the idea of a juicer is good if you're going to use it frequently, but not worth the cost and shelf space if you're not. A juice will not replace the function of a blender for cooking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom