Braunschweiger - Your favorite way to use it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had to read it twice. I know that the chance of Pepperhead buying tomatoes, especially in summer, are extremely low to nil.

But, isn't Aldi German owned? That would certainly explain having good German deli items.
Yes it is. And now that I know what he means, I'll definitely check out Aldi's Braunschweiger selection the next time I am there.

I guess I'm not here often enough to know of everyone's buying habits when it comes to certain items. :)

I don't remember ever seeing Braunschweiger at the store. I find liverwurst okay. But, I live in Québec and we have loads of really good liver pâté, probably the French influence.
Here in the Midwest U.S., Braunschweiger and liverwurst are the same thing. :rolleyes:

Yes it is. And now that I know what he means, I'll definitely check out Aldi's Braunschweiger selection the next time I am there.

I guess I'm not here often enough to know of everyone's buying habits when it comes to certain items. P:)
Pepperhead grows lots and lots of tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and other stuff. Check out the gardening thread.

Pepperhead grows lots and lots of tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and other stuff. Check out the gardening thread.
Oh my goodness, yes. Sounds amazing. I used to grow my own vegetables, but I just don't have the energy for it anymore. I can't even do housework without having to sit down every 5 minutes, so I'm done with the gardening thing in my life. I do miss it.

Around 2007, I was at work, and it was nearing noon. A manager stopped at my desk (in the main office) and he said, what is that smell? I said, what smell? What does it smell like? He said it smelled like really bad body odor. I said, oh, yes, my sandwich is probably getting warm by now. It was braunschweiger with onion and I probably didn't wrap it too tightly. lol Yes of course I ate it. It was delicious.

My apologies. When I read I have a bunch of different types of cherry tomatoes on the side, to snack on. The cheapest, and some of the best I've had, is from Aldi., it looked to me like you were talking about cherry tomatoes.
I had a feeling, after I read that a second time, that that was the produce you were referring to!

Here is the Braunschweiger sold at Aldi, and is really good! I almost always have a second pound of it - the one here says "good by oct 30", and the one I'm eating now was good until Sept 30. Before I start the next one I'll find it on sale (they do it once every month or two), and buy another one!
The Braunschweiger I buy at Aldi - German Inspired, as they put it, and you can definitely tell! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I had a feeling, after I read that a second time, that that was the produce you were referring to!

Here is the Braunschweiger sold at Aldi, and is really good! I almost always have a second pound of it - the one here says "good by oct 30", and the one I'm eating now was good until Sept 30. Before I start the next one I'll find it on sale (they do it once every month or two), and buy another one!
The Braunschweiger I buy at Aldi - German Inspired, as they put it, and you can definitely tell! by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Ohhh, nice. Thanks much for letting me know about that. I'll look for it the next time I shop Aldi. Can't wait to try it!

Miracle Whip is the bomb. The secret in a lot of things I make.
I don't really use it much in cooking, but I'll use it in things like tuna salad, deviled eggs, that sort of thing. I also love mayonnaise, so I keep both in my fridge and use whichever one I happen to be in the mood for. I love my mayo as well.

I had another sandwich this morning, this one with a favorite mustard of mine for this, and many other sandwiches - green peppercorn mustard. This was the 4th sandwich, with 4 different types of mustard!

I had another sandwich this morning, this one with a favorite mustard of mine for this, and many other sandwiches - green peppercorn mustard. This was the 4th sandwich, with 4 different types of mustard!
Will have to look that up. I've never heard of green peppercorn mustard.

Will have to look that up. I've never heard of green peppercorn mustard.
My favorite brand of that was Pommery, but for some reason, the price of that went up so much that the store that I bought it from stopped carrying it! It was (and still is, at Amazon, where I looked) double the price of the double sized container of Moutarde de Meaux. Same thing happened with another of their mustards - the yellow labeled one, labeled "Extra Strong". The green peppercorn mustard I have now is by Maille, which isn't quite as flavorful, but I just minced up some green peppercorns in brine, and stirred it in, to strengthen the flavor. Another I might try next time, just to see (and the price/oz looks good) is the Edmond Falot.

My favorite brand of that was Pommery, but for some reason, the price of that went up so much that the store that I bought it from stopped carrying it! It was (and still is, at Amazon, where I looked) double the price of the double sized container of Moutarde de Meaux. Same thing happened with another of their mustards - the yellow labeled one, labeled "Extra Strong". The green peppercorn mustard I have now is by Maille, which isn't quite as flavorful, but I just minced up some green peppercorns in brine, and stirred it in, to strengthen the flavor. Another I might try next time, just to see (and the price/oz looks good) is the Edmond Falot.
You would be like a kid in a candy store at the Maille mustard boutique in Paris. I watch Bizarre Foods and I'm pretty sure that's the place Andrew Zimmern visited during a Paris show. Really cool looking place with hundreds of different mustards and he was able to taste-test some of them by dipping in a thin pretzel stick that they give you in order to try their products before you buy them.

Here's a previous thread in which I post a favorite recipe of chicken liver paté, that isn't red, since there is no "curing salt" in it, but it is absolutely delicious, with that combination of spices, the cognac, and the duxélles, which I had never seen in any other recipes I'd tried. Though I never really didn't like any of them!

I have a chub of braunschweiger in my fridge right now as a matter of fact. Ideally, on Rosen's rye bread with thinly sliced Vidalia onions, but I like it on pumpernickel quite a lot too. Most of the time, I skip the onions and just shake on some onion powder.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom