Broth: cubes vs liquid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another vote for Better Than Bouillon. I bought some vegan "chicken" broth powder, because a lot of people really liked it. I do too. I add a bit to the liquid when I make up some "stock" using BTB. It really kicks up the flavour. I also use homemade vegi stock as the liquid when I have some, which is most of the time.

The homemade vegi stock is dead simple. I save onion skins, carrot peels, the dry bits of veg like celery, parsley stems, wilted lettuce, etc. I cover with water and simmer for an hour or three, then strain. That's virtually free vegi stock, for next to no effort. That improves the flavour of stock made with BTB too. When I have the space in my freezer.
@taxlady, yes this a fantastic way to make the most of your produce. You can put basically any vegetable scraps you have - onion peel and the butt ends. Garlic skins, carrot peel and tops if you’re not using them, and so on.
The only thing that I advise not to use are potato peels or other starchy vegetables. These will make your stock cloudy.
🫠

The BTB onion is the bomb. It’s really good! Really the only one that I could eat on its own.

I use the onion, the veggie and the mushroom BTB way more than the chicken and beef. Still haven’t tried the ham.

the Stop and Shops both in Boston and the Cape carry all the different kinds.

@taxlady, yes this a fantastic way to make the most of your produce. You can put basically any vegetable scraps you have - onion peel and the butt ends. Garlic skins, carrot peel and tops if you’re not using them, and so on.
The only thing that I advise not to use are potato peels or other starchy vegetables. These will make your stock cloudy.
🫠
Good point about not using starchy veg in any stock. I also don't use brassicas in stock. I really don't like overcooked brassicas and I don't think it would add nice flavour to stock.

I use the Low Sodium BTB as mentioned by many above for fast chicken and beef stock.

But I think you should consider dry forms as well, but not for stock itself. In the various asian cuisines, you'll often see chicken "essence" in a powder or fine pellet form used for seasoning.

On youtube, channels like Chef Wang Gang, Xiaoying Food and many others without english names, you see it quite often. Chinese Cooking Demystified uses it regularly. It might turn up in a marinade, as a final seasoning or other places.

I've used Knorr powder based bouillion early on, but find that it has too many other flavors for it be as well suited as the Chinese brands like Totole (the original, the pelletized one) or the Lee Kum Kee (a powder, my general preference). The Chinese ones are more just chickeny flavor than herbs and vegies as well.

Korean cuisine seems to use more beef powder, the Dasida brand is quite popular.

This usage I describe as using the best salt you can for the purpose. As we get older most of us will be recommended a low sodium diet for blood pressure or heart conditions. I got the recommendation early for dealing with Meniere's syndrome. So instead of just adding salt to taste, add the most flavorful sodium you can to get the most bang for the sodium buck as it were.

If I'm cooking something italian, I'll under salt with the intent of increasing the saltiness with some grated parm or romano. Pick up the desired cheese accent but still limit the overall sodium by using cheese instead of just salt.

Also useful is the Red Boat Fish Sauce salt. This is scraped off the walls of the fermentation tank after draining and drying. Tastes like fish sauce. Or Hondashi for Japanese.

Besides it's chinese uses, I can "salt" a soup or stew with some chicken or beef essence and so on.

Dry bullion isn't just about stock. It's a useful seasoning in it's own right. And while high in sodium, it's not just salt but flavor you can use along with the salt.
Nice mini lecture about the various types of stocks and other flavour enhancers. Thank you.

The BTB onion is the bomb. It’s really good! Really the only one that I could eat on its own.

I use the onion, the veggie and the mushroom BTB way more than the chicken and beef. Still haven’t tried the ham.

What do you use the onion base in? I need to restock my ham base before soup season starts (I use it in split pea soup). Was also thinking of getting the onion, garlic, and chili bases (I saw a few other interesting flavors) from Amazon. Stores around here only have the most popular flavors.

I use the veggie BTB all of the time. It adds so much flavor. I've used the mushroom but never think of it. The onion I have never bought. What do you use the onion and the mushroom in?

What do you use the onion base in? I need to restock my ham base before soup season starts (I use it in split pea soup). Was also thinking of getting the onion, garlic, and chili bases (I saw a few other interesting flavors) from Amazon. Stores around here only have the most popular flavors.
Did you like the ham-base? It was the only one that I have tried that I was not taken with. Perhaps my recipe?

I use the veggie BTB all of the time. It adds so much flavor. I've used the mushroom but never think of it. The onion I have never bought. What do you use the onion and the mushroom in?

Did you like the ham-base? It was the only one that I have tried that I was not taken with. Perhaps my recipe?
I like it added to my split pea soup.

Better Than Bouillon Sautéed Onion is the one everybody's talking about. I like it too. I also like the mushroom variety, and BTB Vegetable is better than any powdered alternative.

Cheaper than BTB but still pretty good is Jameson's. Their chicken and beef soup bases are powdered, but a little thicker than the usual powder; it's almost like a shelf-stable paste. They contain some fats meaning less healthy but much tastier. I've been using Jameson's for more than 20 years. It's good; not great, but good.

The cartons of liquid broth cost more, take up more space, and do not last as long. But in terms of flavor, I don't think they can be beat. BTB has a turkey base, but it doesn't compare to the turkey broth I get in the cartons (only available in November and December, alas). I recently bought a carton of chicken broth to make a soup a bit more interesting, so I was able to compare it side by side to Jameson's - and it's just flat out better.

Bouillon cubes? Ick. In terms of price, Jameson's is about the same and it tastes a LOT better.

By the way, BTB has a new flavor: Italian Herb. I just used some in a broth for Italian beef sandwiches. I think it's worth checking out.

I bought a litre of chicken stock. It was bland. It wasn't as good as broth made with BTB chicken base and my homemade vegi stock instead of plain water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom