Calzone or Stromboli, That Is The Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
So, what's the difference? I've seen several explanations that are not related to one another. I've looked on Google.

I'd like your opinion.

I've always know Stromboli's to be rolled, and Calzones to be more like a pocket. Could be similar ingredients , just formed differently. I had a friend who made a great Onion Stromboli. Laid out a rectangular pizza dough, a layer of ricotta , shredded Mozzarella and fried up onions, rolled then baked. So simple, but so good. She did another with broccoli and garlic. Calzones I always liked the plain ones with just ricotta and mozzarella. I used to make a " spinach pie calzone". Where I basically made a calzone filled with spinach pie ingredients ( Spinach , feta, dill.....). The kids loved it.

I've always know Stromboli's to be rolled, and Calzones to be more like a pocket. Could be similar ingredients , just formed differently. I had a friend who made a great Onion Stromboli. Laid out a rectangular pizza dough, a layer of ricotta , shredded Mozzarella and fried up onions, rolled then baked. So simple, but so good. She did another with broccoli and garlic. Calzones I always liked the plain ones with just ricotta and mozzarella. I used to make a " spinach pie calzone". Where I basically made a calzone filled with spinach pie ingredients ( Spinach , feta, dill.....). The kids loved it.
Do you mean rolled like a jelly roll?
You mentioned ricotta for both. Is the inclusion of ricotta mandatory?

I’m going to perhaps generalise here, and absolutely no offence is intended.
Italian people are very territorial, so they name basically the very same foods with different names to identify them as their own.
Realistically, Calzone and Stromboli are the same thing, maybe a slightly different shape, sure.
(Inside laugh) My very beautiful apprentice was tasked with coming up with the special of the evening - I always wanted my younger staff to have some input into the specials on the menu.
Well, he made the biggest calzone ever seen in the history of the world.
We had to cut it up into reasonable portions and serve it over a couple of days.
Day one it was calzone
Day two it was Stromboli
Day three - the remaining was thrown out ☹️

So, what's the difference? I've seen several explanations that are not related to one another. I've looked on Google.

I'd like your opinion.

The owner of a great pizza joint in Dallas explained it to me once, but it was a long time ago, and I'm fuzzy on it, now. I think he said something like there are multiple ways to make a calzone (as far as ingredients), but only one way to make a Stromboli. What Larry posted rings a bell, too.

From what I hear, the owner died, and his kids ran the place into the ground. One day, out of nowhere, the place was closed, and never re-opened. Too bad, because that place made some of the best food I've ever eaten.

CD

I’m with Larry.

The strombolis of my college days in the Midwest were like jelly rolls, sliced, with sauce

Calzones of my adulthood in Boston are like ginormous hot pockets.

I’ll take pizza over each
I only had calzone once. It was full of molten tomato sauce. Too hot to eat and it made a hot mess when you bit it.

A good Stromboli is great but most of the time those inner layers of dough are not properly cooked.

In this area most Stromboli are simply called sausage bread or pizza bread with a filling of cooked sausage crumbles or pepperoni and mozzarella.

I agree with @jennyema , pizza is still the best option.

Do you mean rolled like a jelly roll?
You mentioned ricotta for both. Is the inclusion of ricotta mandatory?
Every calzone Ive had always had ricotta. The Stromboli;s , it wasn't as consistent. Her's were rolled up like a jelly roll. I tried doing it myself once, and the inner dough didn't get cooked as well as hers did, so I apparently did something wrong. The calzones were easier for me to make and more consistent . I basically made half a pizza then folded the other half of the dough over and sealed it. Both sides cooked nicely.

It's been awhile since I had either, and now that Im thinking about it, I don't think the Stromboli's ( even the onion one) had ricotta cheese in it) . I think it was just the onions ( or the garlic broccoli) rolled up in the dough. I just remember how much I enjoyed them.

Last edited:
I only had calzone once. It was full of molten tomato sauce. Too hot to eat and it made a hot mess when you bit it.

Yeah, I make calzones from time-to-time, and I have to force myself to let them rest after baking, or I will burn the roof of my mouth, which will hurt for days. Molten cheese is actually worse than molten sauce. The cheese sticks to the roof of your mouth, and doesn't let go until you have at least second degree burns.

CD

The calzones I know are basically like a pizza folded over, with varying toppings (maybe I should say fillings).
Not always ricotta in my recollection.
I've never had stromboli

Another difference is that calzones can also be fried (small ones obviously). Very popular in Southern regions, the filling is usually mozzarella/tomato sauce. Another delicious filling is ricotta and salame.

The Boston calzones don’t usually have ricotta. They use regular old pizza toppings made into a hot pocket.

Sometimes people ask for more sauce on the top.

I have experienced the inner parts of the "jellyroll" not cooking through so I did not use that technique.

I have heard the ricotta-no ricotta explanations but am not a fan of ricotta so skipped it altogether.

Another difference I read about (and was mentioned here) is the shape of the dough. Calzones being made like a giant empanada and strombolis being more rectangular, folded more like a business letter and crimped at the ends.

There's always prosciutto bread too.

Craig always gets the Stromboli at a New Yorker owned pizza place we visit sometimes. It only has 1 inner fold of dough so is cooked all the way through. It's long, they curve it, and wide so they certainly don't skimp. He usually gets 2 meals and a snack out of the large. No ricotta, just fillings and mozzarella and/or provolone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom