Can I Use Aluminum Foil in Electric Frying Pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KateH21

Assistant Cook
I have an old electric frying pan from the '70s that's inside surface (Teflon, I think) is in bad shape. It's at a point where I can't tell if the Teflon is peeling or if it's dirty. I believe the pan is made of cast aluminum.

I don't use this pan very often and I don't want to buy a new one at this time. Can I just put aluminum foil in the pan and cook on the foil? Maybe it depends on what I'm cooking?

I mainly cook frozen 100% beef burgers in it. I prop up two legs of the pan by about 2.5 inches so that all the fat drains off the burgers like a George Foreman grill. I cook the burgers on 375 for about 15 minutes, turning every 3-4 minutes.

I couldn't find the exact pan I have online, but it's similar to this one - https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_324343

Maybe others will have a different opinion...but for me, I would not use the pan any longer. At least, not for cooking!

Might you consider checking out the local thrift, Goodwill or Salvation Army stores for a used, but still in useful condition, electric fry pan? Or even check online at CraigsList or OfferUp. Sometimes folks are just happy to find a new home for an item, cheap or even free. I know I do that, since it saves me from lugging it down to the donation center.

Teflon was used for medical implants, is still used widely in medical instruments and consumables.

you can use the pan with no worries. Teflon is totally inert - you can eat pounds of it with no ill effects.

Teflon was used for medical implants, is still used widely in medical instruments and consumables.

you can use the pan with no worries. Teflon is totally inert - you can eat pounds of it with no ill effects.

I agree. Teflon's bad rep is often misunderstood. The Teflon in your pan is completely harmless. If you should consume any Teflon that may flake off the pan surface, it will leave your body the same as it went in without harming you in between.

You'll have more if an issue with the raw aluminum of the foil than with the Teflon.

So cook those burgers as before and relax.

I agree. Teflon's bad rep is often misunderstood. The Teflon in your pan is completely harmless. If you should consume any Teflon that may flake off the pan surface, it will leave your body the same as it went in without harming you in between.

Unfortunately, your foods will no longer stick to your ribs.

Last edited:
I have that (almost) exact same pan, inherited from my late brother. Not in the best shape either but I use it.

As the others have said, go ahead you will have no problems.

Back
Top Bottom