Canning this year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did I answer your questions?:D
Yes, and yes, and yes, and yes, and yes. Thank you! You are the chili pepper queen! Now I have my work cut out for me! We grew seeds from hatch chilies from Hatch, from a member here, bless him. There's a lot of peppers out there. They taste hotness like a 7 (on a scale of 0 to 10), where 0 is a green pepper and 10 is a hot jalapeno, or hot poblano. They have a great flavor besides the hotness. They are lovely.

And corn went on sale for $1.00 for 10 cobs (and I thought we were done canning corn), and then 80% ground beef went on sale for $1.59/lb, all of that tomorrow. We usually don't see good sales like this here.

We canned 7 qts of corn, then rolled out 25 lbs of ground beef into zip lock gallon bags and flattened for freezing, yesterday.
Today we are canning 28 lbs of ground beef in 14 qt cans. I just couldn't pass on the sale of ground beef for $1.59/lb.

We canned 7 qts of corn, then rolled out 25 lbs of ground beef into zip lock gallon bags and flattened for freezing, yesterday.
Today we are canning 28 lbs of ground beef in 14 qt cans. I just couldn't pass on the sale of ground beef for $1.59/lb.

Bliss, have you ever made corn stock.
I make it and can it or freeze it. I like to
can it. It is awesome in lots of things.

Josie

Bliss, have you ever made corn stock.
I make it and can it or freeze it. I like to
can it. It is awesome in lots of things.

Josie
Um, nope. I was approaching 400 jars, but with the harvest this year and some sales, I think I'm approaching having 475 filled jars in the pantry. The downstairs pantry is full. I think maybe when DS (adult) moves out, and we are down to just the two of us, I might use jars for stocks.

How do you make it? I've never heard of it.

Tomato juice..I used this strainer that my mother used for years..we cooked the tomatoes down and pressed then through the colander..we used Roma tomatoes from the garden. I wasn't sure they would work well but we got a nice thick juice..can't wait to have a Bloody Mary..

Attachments

• 40624842_915809115473804_1078523445450375168_n.jpg
    40624842_915809115473804_1078523445450375168_n.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 40658263_1522456571234504_6290831988496531456_n.jpg
    40658263_1522456571234504_6290831988496531456_n.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 93
Tomato juice..I used this strainer that my mother used for years..we cooked the tomatoes down and pressed then through the colander..we used Roma tomatoes from the garden. I wasn't sure they would work well but we got a nice thick juice..can't wait to have a Bloody Mary..
That second picture, :ROFLMAO:
How about adding some clam juice and making a bloody Caesar?

Peeled and chopped a little over 100 cups worth of tomatoes tonight. Will make 25-30 Liters (over 7 gallons) of spaghetti sauce. Vastly underestimated the time involved for this, so got all the ingredients into 2 big pots tonight, will cook and can it tomorrow.

PS - anyone have uses for the leftover tomato skins? I froze them all, thinking maybe can use them when making soup for some colour and flavour (in a nylon bag like I do with fruit in my wine/beer making). thoughts?

Attachments

• 20180904_192239.jpg
    20180904_192239.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Peeled and chopped a little over 100 cups worth of tomatoes tonight. Will make 25-30 Liters (over 7 gallons) of spaghetti sauce. Vastly underestimated the time involved for this, so got all the ingredients into 2 big pots tonight, will cook and can it tomorrow.

PS - anyone have uses for the leftover tomato skins? I froze them all, thinking maybe can use them when making soup for some colour and flavour (in a nylon bag like I do with fruit in my wine/beer making). thoughts?
A friend dehydrates the skins and any seeds that don't get used in the sauce. Then she makes it into tomato powder. She uses it instead of tomato paste and any time she wants to boost the tomato flavour of something.

10 qts and 1 pint tomato sauce a couple days ago. I'm going to try my hand at the chilis recipe that Bethzaring posted up the page. Wish me luck!

Did 25 Liters/quarts today of tomato sauce.
I think this will be The last big canning day of the year, unless someone drops off more produce.

Now to prepare for wine making season, and a new baby in 3 weeks.

Attachments

• 20180905_231920.jpg
    20180905_231920.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 83
Did 25 Liters/quarts today of tomato sauce.
I think this will be The last big canning day of the year, unless someone drops off more produce.

Now to prepare for wine making season, and a new baby in 3 weeks.

End of September or beginning of October? Sorry, have to ask, I have this thing about babies, kittens and puppies.

Didn't can any tomatoes this year. They didn't do well. Good thing I have tons left from last year and year before. I will be concentrating on chicken, beef and pork. I have 10 jars of chicken stock done from carcasses. Yes I use pressure canners on a glass top stove. Actually 2 at a time most times. I had 3 going it one time once. 2 big ones and my little one. That was kind of tight but it worked.IMG_20180819_161810.jpg

Famer John - I use pressure canner on a glass top too with no issues. But...I do most of my canning out on the deck with my grill which has a nice side burner. Keeps from throwing all that heat into the house. A friend of mine uses his turkey fryer burner since his grill does not have a side burner.

Pressure canned 11 half-pints of hatch chilis. It was a half full paper grocery bag, after roasting it was a 6 qt kettle full, after peeling and deseeding it was a large food processor full, and then into 11 half-pints. Yay, glad to have gotten that done and I'm looking forward to how they taste in so many dishes-with cheese sauce, in fried eggs, in fried rice, layered in casseroles, topping off nachos. Thanks beth.

I will have another batch to go next week.

Last few days we made 2 of the 18 qt roasters of tomatoes made into ketchup. Then two roasters of tomatoes into a thick sauce. Then I canned red and green bell peppers. Today will be 10 qts of thick tomato sauce.

Bethzaring, I made some of the hatch chili enchilada sauce, it is quite zippy. Thanks for the recipe. I really like it. I even made some bell pepper enchilada sauce for the non-hot lovers here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom