Coconut milk substitution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
Last night we had a few friends over and I used some of my plethora of leftover turkey to make curry. I loosely based it on a recipe I found for a Thai coconut curry. I realized halfway in that this was not going to be enough food, even with the rice and quinoa. I had plenty of all the ingredients to double it except the coconut milk, so I improvised. Instead of the coconut milk, I simply used soymilk and a bit of coconut flavoring. Voila! It worked perfectly.

So if you're ever in a pinch and need a last-minute substitute for coconut milk, soy milk and coconut flavoring will work. Regular milk would probably work reasonably well under the right conditions, but as my recipe had a fair amount of lime, I opted for the soy milk to avoid curdling. Plus it just seemed like it would be closer in flavor.

Very good to know!

I was making a quiche one time and ran out of milk ... so I used coconut milk! Which led to me sprucing up veggies with some curry paste as I sauteed them. It was outrageously good.

Gotta love it when the creativity kicks in and the substitutions work like a charm. :chef:

I hate the flavor of coconut. I cannot abide even the scent.

So I substitute in evaporated milk instead. Sometimes I flavor it with saffron or other spices, depending on the dish I'm using it for.

No, it doesn't have any coconut flavor - that's sort of the POINT, for me, but it does give the creamy texture.

I hate the flavor of coconut. I cannot abide even the scent.

So I substitute in evaporated milk instead. Sometimes I flavor it with saffron or other spices, depending on the dish I'm using it for.

No, it doesn't have any coconut flavor - that's sort of the POINT, for me, but it does give the creamy texture.
Ha ha! I was just talking to The Kid, a great lover of coconut milk and an ardent proponent of "real" coconut milk over the reconstituted kind. I read her your post. That is the first time I have ever seen anyone roll their eyes over the phone!
Cheers

Ha ha! I was just talking to The Kid, a great lover of coconut milk and an ardent proponent of "real" coconut milk over the reconstituted kind. I read her your post. That is the first time I have ever seen anyone roll their eyes over the phone!
Cheers

Its sort of a shame that your friend is so unaccepting of the tastes of others.

For those who hate coconut, don't worry about the reaction of coconut bigots. I guarantee you, there is something those people can't stand to eat too, so don't let it worry you, feel free to dispense with the awful (to us) stuff without guilt. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom