Computers! Arrrrrgggghhhh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Updates have been very automatic for quite a while now. You can make some settings that make it more or less hands on to your liking. But the default settings are pretty automatic. Most seem to run in under 5 minutes and don't require a reboot. But I'm on Google Fiber so I have good internet speed. About once a week I have to type my password because the updates are tweaking more secure parts of the OS. Maybe once a month it will need a reboot.

Going deeper into the weeds, it will depend a bit on what things you install. My beta of Evernote for linux has needed some extra clicks to update because that's outside of the standard system. Usually though if you install something less common, the installation instructions will have you update your repositories so they get checked for updates automatically.

Got the new computer back from the shop...and HOORAY! it is working such that I can deal with it. I've got the programs that I prefer. Even though it is a new OS and there will be a learning curve, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. I'll learn and it will become normal/natural.

I would highly recommend the shop and the guys there. I'm so very grateful.

I just got an external CD/DVD drive. It was surprisingly inexpensive. Now I can load some more CDs onto my Mac and copy them to my phone for easy listening.

I just got an external CD/DVD drive. It was surprisingly inexpensive. Now I can load some more CDs onto my Mac and copy them to my phone for easy listening.
My new computer did not have an optical drive. The first one I've ever had without one...so, I ordered a standalone blu-ray when I got the computer. Mostly for music...but also for some games on dvd. I need my entertainment!

I got a *cuts and pastes*

ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo 15 UX582 Laptop, 15.6” OLED 4K Touch Display, i7-12700H, 16GB, 1TB, GeForce RTX 3060, ScreenPad Plus, Windows 11 Home, Celestial Blue, UX582ZM-AS76T.​

I really like Asus. The current one is 7 years old. I'm one of those people that seem to fry electronics. It sounds crazily witchy and illogical, but a Dell or HP will be dead by year three with me. (Five dead by year 3 not including those I had at work that would usually die within 2.) Asus holds on and generally dies of natural causes. My current Asus is a gaming system, but I generally game on the PS. Without gaming, the 16 GB will be enough. I needed a larger screen because I need the space when I am online....but I am charmed by the extra screen and hope it will let me drag something down so I can use the main area for typing. As such it is hoped that the smaller 15inch will be plenty. Also, the new laptop will be SO MUCH lighter than this one. I do plan to upgrade to Windows 11 Pro. I currently use Windows 10, but....personally I often wish I would go back to Linex....bc fewer viruses and it works.....or at least did once upon a time. I've not used it in a very long time.

Cool...I hear good things about Asus...I use an Acer gaming machine too. They just do so much more than the others. My current one has an optical drive too. The new one does NOT. Sigh. Current is a 15.6...but, with the new one, since an optical drive was not an option anymore, I went ahead and got the 14". Hoping it will be more convenient in the RV.

What's your plan for Office? Are you going to go with (& pay for storage) 365? Think it thru before you let it go that way!!!!

I'll have to check out your link and post mine later. Not enough wi-fi, at the moment. Sigh.

We have a boat-ton of storage on the server upstairs. As for Office, I'm going to have to let the in-house tech support deal with that. 🤷‍♀️

My first gaming machine was Acer. I liked it, and it lasted almost 5 years. Almost.....

I use Libre Office for formatted text documents and spreadsheets. Too bad the help is all from a user forum. I like documentation.

They have lots of documentation

Thank you. I did not know that this was available. I'm glad that it is only the printed versions that require payment. That was not the impression I got from the preview of the link. I guess I should update Libre Office. I'm at version 6.3 something. I wish they would just act normal and put the help file where you can access it from the program, like normal software. Oh well, I won't complain too much about free, open source software.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom