Culinary gifts this year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Over the last several years I've given Glenn's children (and spouses) a "family" gift in addition to their individual items.

Last year one of them was a family move night theme. I learned everyone's favorite movie, candy and soft drink. Bought some of each of those and also included some amazing popcorn from the local Mennonite market, along with popping oil and assorted sprinkle-on flavored salts. I found a small quantity of tear-off "tickets" like the kind school fairs use and sprinkled them all through the treats and movies. As you might guess, the basket was quite large, especially since there were 6 family members.

This year that family is getting a games gift. Not electronic. Good old old-fashioned board games. I found a fantastic Christmas monopoly and added a traditional scrabble one and tucked in a copy of Polar Express for some holiday movie viewing. Not culinary like last year's but I think they'll have fun.

The three food-related gifts this year will be for Glenn's son and his family, for his other daughter and her family and for Glenn's elderly mother.

For the son, I made a hot chocolate basket with homemade hot cocoa mix, peppermint sticks for flavor and stirring, mini marshmallows, chocolate kisses (for added chocolate jolt), and mugs for all three of them. Big mugs for mommy and daddy and a smaller one for the little 3-year-old guy.

His mother is a regular coffee drinker so her basket includes a container of her favorite coffee, a canister of sugar, a canister of her favorite powdered creamer, and a cheery holiday mug.

His daughter (not the one who received the movie gift), will get all the fixins' for something she calls M&M soup. It is nothing more than lots of different kinds of M&Ms all mixed together and scooped when one needs an M&M "fix."

I found a cute M&M bucket-like container this summer at Goodwill that holds about a gallon of whatever and put that in the basket with a pretty little Lucite scooper...and a bag of each variety of M&Ms.

Aww, thanks, LP!

I used to make pickled green beans for my sibs. They would eat the whole jar over the sink, and called them "sinkies". Similar to Grandma's pickled beans, but not quite.

When we had wild raspberries, before the idiot from the county decided to illegally scoop up a bunch of our land after a flood, I also made wild raspberry cordial. I started it at least six months before gifting.

DG, I love pickled green beans and raspberry cordial. My Mom used to make both. I loved the cordial over ice or vanilla ice cream! :)

I'll make up a jar of preserved lemons for Goober once we land at Loverly's place - whenever that ends up being. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to be on anyone's gift list this year. I was a bad girl...:(

My friend Lisa was down to ragged spatulas and broken wooden spoons. So I got her spatulas, wooden spoons, a wok to replace her cheap teflon one, some salt and pepper shakers to match her butter dish, and a lovely shabby chic clock for her kitchen to replace the ugly modern one that didn't work.

I got an ice cream maker, among other things that are not cuisine related.

Well, my Mom in law loves me!

She overheard me at the family Christmas dinner a couple of weeks ago talking to my Sister-in-law about kitchen stuff. They are downsizing from a large house with full basement to a 350 sq ft cabin in the middle of nowhere. They have put a lot of things in storage but have also been downsizing quite a bit. I said if she had any spatulas, wooden spoons or whisks she didn't want I am in need of some. I broke two plastic handled spatulas that same day making my contributions to the dinner.

For some reason we were also talking about dish scrub brushes, turkey basters (mine disintegrated) and mini serving spatulas (Pampered Chef).

So, Mom told her not to give me anything and brought me a gift bag with a big purple bow! What was inside?

• 4 spatulas with wooden handles
  • 6 different sized wooden spoons
  • 3 whisks
  • a pack of 4 scrub brushes
  • 2 Pampered Chef servers (her friend sells it)
  • a really nice pottery holder to put them all in because my drawers are overflowing!
I was so touched, especially when she hadn't given her daughters and granddaughters gifts. But because we had them over for dinner today and I do baking and stuff for her (Dad is diabetic and has a sweet tooth so I make things he can eat with natural sweeteners).

Now I have to figure out what I can make to use all my cool toys! :cool:

Oh yeah and there was a turkey baster too! Too bad I didn't make turkey today!

Last edited:
I got Russian ballpoint piping tips from my mother in law, she is amazing. She always find what I really wants-

We ordered the induction burner, ended up getting a NuWave, the fondue pot with inserts, plus fondue plates and forks. I decided to do some comparison shopping and ended up getting all the above for just over $30 more than what the induction burner and pot would have cost on Amazon, even having to pay shipping for 2 orders. Fondue plates and forks are expensive, guess they figure they've gotcha if you are looking for something special like that. We should be able to pick up the burner today, found a place that had it locally on sale and ordered it on-line, and the rest of the stuff should be here by the end of the week at latest. Can't wait to try out the induction burner. It's supposed to be able to get to 500 F. Stir frys here we come!

I talked with my son that lives far away last night. I had hoped he liked the herbs and spices and seeds in the wood boxes. HE DID! He was all talkie about the seeds and which to plant for next year, the productivity of each kind, and which produce all summer and which die off first, talkie talkie. It was so nice. He's a very quiet person, so I was surprised by all his curiosity and talk. He liked the spices and herbs for cooking. And he asked me about the boxes, where I got them and he said he liked them. (I do too.) So the gift was well received, yippee! It made my christmas.

Gee LP, I envy your present from your MIL. I used to have a couple of sets of wooden tools. But like always, my kids come in and help themselves to them Their excuse is "they never can find them in the stores." I let it slide. Yeah, go ahead, take them, I can always get new ones. I don't think my kids have ever heard of the Dollar Store. It is time for me to make a trip there and replenish my supply. I am always looking at Zulily.com. They have some great kitchen stuff. And reasonably priced.

Back
Top Bottom