Daisy Sour Cream French Onion Dip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Texmex

Senior Cook
Yasss! I always find the grocery store French onion dips too strong. What I have been doing for potato chip dip is buying Daisy sour cream and then mixing it with a carton of Dean's French onion dip. Which is a pretty good way to do it because you end up with a pile of dip.

I was shopping online at Albertsons which is the same as Tom Thumb and Safeway other locations and there was Daisy French Onion Dip. So I just now tried it and I really like it.

It is not too strong and it does not taste like all the other French onion dips but is mellow and mild and of course super creamy because that's what I like about Daisy sour cream.

So I am very happy to not have to mix stuff to make dip anymore!

I haven’t seen that in the Central New York area but I will keep an eye out for it.

One of my favorites for an easy dip or salad dressing is a cup of sour cream or Greek yogurt mixed with a half cup of chunky salsa.

I haven’t seen that in the Central New York area but I will keep an eye out for it.

One of my favorites for an easy dip or salad dressing is a cup of sour cream or Greek yogurt mixed with a half cup of chunky salsa.
They may just not have the Daisy brand up there because dairy tends to be more regional. I guess it's pretty hard to ship all over the place and keep it fresh. I know some of our dairy here in Dallas is very local but I'm not sure about Daisy. I do notice the difference between it and some of the store brands.

They may just not have the Daisy brand up there because dairy tends to be more regional. I guess it's pretty hard to ship all over the place and keep it fresh. I know some of our dairy here in Dallas is very local but I'm not sure about Daisy. I do notice the difference between it and some of the store brands.
We have Daisy sour cream but I haven’t seen any of the spinoffs.

Daisy is great but I usually stick with Wegman’s store brand unless I have a coupon.

Being frugal can be both a blessing and a curse. 🤭

This: the same and fantastic since I was a little kid.

SC.jpeg
fo.jpeg

I usually just mix some cream cheese with a bit of yogourt or sour cream to make it a bit thinner. Then I add onion powder and onion flakes, if I have them and a good squirt of Asian fish sauce. 10 to 15 minutes later, it tastes great. I might add a bit of milk or cream to adjust the consistency. I have also been know to use crème fraiche.

Good on yuh, taxy, although I have no idea of quantities I used it was pretty similar to yours. I'd always found the soup mix way too strong, and especially salty, for me. It has also been maybe 30 years since I've made any.

An envelope of this stirred into a pint of sour cream makes a nice dip.

I usually add a big pinch of cayenne pepper.

View attachment 66383
I love the veggie soup and dip mix combined with cream cheese and used as a sandwich or cracker spread.

Growing up, Dad was a Borden's milkman so we always had their French onion dip. Heluva Good! French onion dip is the closest thing I have found to Borden's. I like lots of dips and spreads, but the Heluva Good! brand is my go-to for onion dip.

We have Daisy sour cream but I haven’t seen any of the spinoffs.

Daisy is great but I usually stick with Wegman’s store brand unless I have a coupon.

Being frugal can be both a blessing and a curse. 🤭
I do too sometimes. It depends what I'm using it for. I think this dip just now came out. Probably in the last month or I would have seen it.

This: the same and fantastic since I was a little kid.

View attachment 66371View attachment 66372
We don't have that hood brand. I'm sure it's all regional. We used to make the onion soup mix dip when I was a kid but I always thought it was a little too thick and strong for me but that's just a personal preference. I use that Lipton Onion soup mix and a lot of different things.

Good on yuh, taxy, although I have no idea of quantities I used it was pretty similar to yours. I'd always found the soup mix way too strong, and especially salty, for me. It has also been maybe 30 years since I've made any.
Years ago, when I used to react to MSG, I quit buying stuff with MSG in it. So, I figured out how to make stuff like dips and salad dressings.

My Smith's/Kroger's has recently started carrying Creamland Green Chile Dip. I am using this for anything sour cream. I have greatly increased my intake of sour cream!
Haven't tried that but I do go to Kroger so hopefully they have it in this area. It may be another regional thing though.

That's another one they don't have around here. I guess anything that's a dairy product ends up being regional.

That's another one they don't have around here. I guess anything that's a dairy product ends up being regional.
Yes, in most cases. Lawson's is in OH, PA, MI, and spotty areas in IN and KY. I lived in the south up until about 24 years ago and when I first tasted it after moving to the Midwest, I was immediately hooked. Before that I think I just ate whatever there was or made my own with the Lipton onion soup mix and sour cream. Helluva, Smith's, and a few others are regional popular dairy products but no one up here makes anything close to Lawson's.

We have Hood, Breakstone and Daisy up here.

I find premade onion dips to be way too bland.

I make mine with half a packet of knorr French onion and a packet of Lipton beefy onion and 16 ounces of light sour cream.

or sometimes with fancy stuff from Penzeys or the Spice House

ive also messed around with Ina’s carmelized onion dip which was also really bland and other homemade ones. But nothing beats the knorr/beefy.

Yes, in most cases. Lawson's is in OH, PA, MI, and spotty areas in IN and KY. I lived in the south up until about 24 years ago and when I first tasted it after moving to the Midwest, I was immediately hooked. Before that I think I just ate whatever there was or made my own with the Lipton onion soup mix and sour cream. Helluva, Smith's, and a few others are regional popular dairy products but no one up here makes anything close to Lawson's.
Up here? Where is that?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom