Diabetes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I saw a dietician she advised me that the best fruit when watching sugar was fruit that grows best furthest from the equator....eg apples and pears of England over the sweeter oranges, mangos etc. And part of the reason juice is less good is beacause you don't get the good fibre I think.

I am not even going to pretend I don't eat tropical fruits, I love them, but I do have more apples than anything else. Their main other bonus for be is that they are easy to eat on the go and very portable!

Goodweed of the North said:
A couple of corrections to be made here:

1. For those who still dream of having eggplant parm, which I still love and used to eat over spaghetti, a slice of toasted whole-grain bread can be substituted for the pasta.
If you use whole-grain pasta, you don't have to substitute. And there are some pretty good whole grain pasta types out there. I like the Hodgeson Mills brand.

2. Canola oil is controversial, with some saying it is truly evil, while others say it is like mana from Heaven. I use sunflower or safflower oil instead of canola. Olive oil is good as well, and there are other great oils. Look in some of the threads about healthy oils. And all oils are high in caloric content. The reason healthier oils are healthier, is they help control choleserol levels in the blood, and may add other essential nutrients to the diet.

3. In our house, we often make multi-grain pancakes, usually a combination of whole-wheat, buckwheat, and oatmeal. We use Splenda sweetener and replace the oil with apple sauce. For a leavening agent, we use double-acting baking powder. There is salt in them, but only 1/2 tsp. per cup of the flour mixture. And the single egg can be substituted with a yolk free replacement product, such as Egg Beaters. This will produce very tasty and healthy pancakes, depending on what you top them with.

4. Healthy pizza can be made by a using whole-grain flour, such as rye, which has a light flavor, instead of using processed bread flour. Top with veggies and lean but spicy meats and use herbs for flavoring. Use sharply flavored cheeses as you don't need to use as much to get good flavor.

5. Legumes in general, beans, peas, lentils, etc. are foods a diabetic should eat. They are low in fat, high in protiens, nutrients and fiber. The starches are counteracted by the high fiber content that serves to slow the absorption of sugars into the bloodstream. Be careful what you flavor them with. I use Splenda and either mollases or maple/extract when making baked beans. If you are making a savory type of beans, such as bean soup, then limit the salt, but use enough for good flavor, or use salt substitutes, and use herbs and spices. And you would be amazed how much flavor is added by cooking them with a goo pork bone, with the fat removed of course, and adding some lean pork cubes to the mix.

Veggies such as beets, and carrots should be eaten in moderation as they contain a bunch of both simple and complex sugars (carbohydrates). Potatoes should be avoided. But you can eat sweet potatoes because of the high nutrition content and fiber. The same is true of most berries and fruits. Just don't over-indulge. Grapes and grape products (raisins and wines) are very high in sugars.

And watch the cereals. Many are suprizingly high in carbs, even though they may say they may claim to be healthy. They are often coated with, or made with either sugar, or high-fruictose corn syrup, and usually some added fat. So read the label.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

1. I had already suggested using whole-grain bread in place of pasta.

2. Also, if you want to curb the starch, as with frying the eggplant, you can just make rattatouli and have it over the pasta or whole-grain bread. It's pretty much a low-cal veggie version of the classic Italian meat sauce for spaghetti.

Just cube the eggplant, summer squash and zuccini.

3. Watch the amount of starch in cereals as well. But if it's eaten in small amounts, it should be fine.

4. Starch and sugar can't be completely eliminated from the diet either. Like cholesterol, you need soome of it in your blood to avoid having the glucose level go too low, resulting in a dangerous level as well.

5. Potatoes can be eaten in small amounts and in moderation. The doctor told me this. If a baked potato is desired, it can be a small one.

6. And if one still craves the smoky flavor in dried beans or collard greens, smoked turkey wings or legs can be used. It gives a wonderful aroma and taste with about 2/3 less the fat and calories that are in smoked ham hocks.

~Corey123.

Goodness, Corey123, you sound like a convert.:cool:

Some of us have been diabetic for years - we manage to curb our intake of carbohydrates - but I still eat pasta, I still eat fruits etc. I just make sure that the portions are much smaller than the amounts that lots of others eat... There's nothing forbidden to a diabetic. Just eat well, in moderation.

Thank you!! That's the key thing.

Everything in moderation. I'm getting most of this info from a friend of mine. She's been a diabetic for years. And she has to take insulin shots because her glucose level is low.

But at times, she tends to overdo it with the sweets and ends up sending the blood sugar level to the roof!!

I've also been checking out the ADA's website as well. I want to beat this thing or at least keep the sugar level stable to the point where it can be maintained at a safe level.

But once a person becomes a diabetic and gets the glucoes level back to normal, it does mean that he or she can go back to the old lifestyle of eating or drinking. They MUST maintain that good standard in order to avoid a relapse of the disease.

But some of that stuff I knew before I was diagnosed with the disease. What's a convert, BTW?

~Corey123.

Well sort of a born-again - full of enthusiasm, and thinking they have discovered something :)

Actually, I DID discover something. And it DOES also make me feel born again. Because it's like getting a new lease on life.

That I was never more serious about changing my eating habits, exercising and losing weight than I am now.

This is a wake-up call for all of us who used to indulge in eating fatty, sweet and starchy foods on a daily basis and not exercising!

~Corey123.

I went to the doctor last Tuesday, and he ordered a round of bloodwork and a chest x-ray. The nurse called me today and said that my triglycerides were 525, and my sugar was 281. :( My potassium was also extremely low.
They called in scrips for Tricore, Glicotrol, and raised my dosage on the potassium.
She was also insistant that I see the doctor next week, and passed me on to the receptionist, who made me an appointment for Tuesday. I hope it's not about the nasty looking chest x-ray...lungs are black.

Looks like it's time to change my wicked ways. :ermm:

Constance said:
I went to the doctor last Tuesday, and he ordered a round of bloodwork and a chest x-ray. The nurse called me today and said that my triglycerides were 525, and my sugar was 281. :( My potassium was also extremely low.
They called in scrips for Tricore, Glicotrol, and raised my dosage on the potassium.
She was also insistant that I see the doctor next week, and passed me on to the receptionist, who made me an appointment for Tuesday. I hope it's not about the nasty looking chest x-ray...lungs are black.

Connie, sounds like you have joined the ranks..Hopefully we can work to get those levels down. Glucotrol was what I was first put on and the first time I took it, which initself is trial and error, I was shopping with my daughter and had a low that knocked me to my knees, I got the hang of dosing by measuring what I ate and not taking the med if I didn't eat..Then new meds were put on the market and life became much easier. Tricore will help the triglicerides in no time..Let me know if I can help at all. Maybe next visit Doctor might give you an RX for one of the meds that helps your cells accept what insulin you make. I use one and it has reduced my having lows..The cell med by itself won't cause lows. Okay, you have enough on your mind. hang in there friend..I'm here is ya need me

kadesma:)

You're a good friend, Kadesma. What is it they say..."Good friends are flowers in the garden of life".

Truthfully, my diet has been terrible lately. My husband has been doing most of the cooking, and he is big on the meat, starch and sweets.

I also weigh more than I feel comfortable with. I've never had a doctor fuss about my weight, because I'm tall (5'8") and, even now, very solid from all the exercise I got in the greenhouse, landscaping, gardening and such that I did for so many years.
But I will feel better if I lose 20 lbs.

Constance said:
You're a good friend, Kadesma. What is it they say..."Good friends are flowers in the garden of life".

Truthfully, my diet has been terrible lately. My husband has been doing most of the cooking, and he is big on the meat, starch and sweets.

I also weigh more than I feel comfortable with. I've never had a doctor fuss about my weight, because I'm tall (5'8") and, even now, very solid from all the exercise I got in the greenhouse, landscaping, gardening and such that I did for so many years.
But I will feel better if I lose 20 lbs.
Thanks Connie,
you will be okay, losing a few lbs. will help that blood glucose come down..It sure did for me..Kim will get the hang of what you need, he's pretty samrt he picked YOU :)

hugs,
kadesma

Black lungs? Are you a smoker?

I hope there's no bad news and that everything shows up normal or negative.
Please keep us posted.

Corey123.

Yes, Corey, I've been smoking for 45 years. Also did a lot of damage to lungs in the greenhouse, due to exposure to chemicals, peat moss and vermiculite.
I'm trying to quit, but it's hard.

OMG!

Have you tried wearing the patch? I did for a few days , and I've been smoke-free for almost 12 years now.

~Corey123.

Constance said:

Connie, I just don't know what's going on. So many people are diabetic now. It truly is an epidemic. I never knew the extent of the disease, or how many people had the condition until I was diagnosed with it. I thought it was somewhat rare. Now I know so many people with it.

And that smoking thing, well I don't need to say anything more about that. Not being a smoker, but having a father who smoked almost until he died, and watching him try to kick the habit so many times, I know it's hard. I have a son who smokes and he's tried to quit several time now. I jsut don't understand why anyone in this day & age would start. I understand how people in the 50s, 60s, and even the early 70s would start. But everyone knows it's bad for you now. I just don't understand.

But I will pray for you, that you will be given the strength to beat the tobaco, and control the blood chemistry.

Seeeeeyal Goodweed of the North

It's now an epidemic.

The effort to get many people to see if they have the disease, or are at risk of getting it are astronomical.

~Corey123.

Interesting thread!

Husband quit smoking about 8 1/2 years ago using Zyban. FYI, it is the exact same drug as the anti-depressant Wellbutrin (available as a generic). Insurance would not pay for Zyban, but would have paid for Wellbutrin. It was money well spent, but if we could hsve paid less it wpuld have been nice.

He was diagnosed with diabetes 1 1/2 years ago. He is on Metformin and Lipitor as high cholesterol and high triglycerides tend to go hand in hand with diabetes. We both went to diabetes education classes. He was given a diet, which he does not follow to the letter, but does follow the principles of it. He spreads his carbs throughout the day, instead of having just 3 larger meals. We learned that a serving of carbs is generally considered to be 12-18 grams. It is better to eat fewer "white" carbs (eg. refined white flour, white sugar, white potatoes) and eat more veggies, whole fruits, pastas and breads that are whole grain. He does watch what he eats and his control is very good. He A1C is usually under 6.

When I went back to the doctor Tuesday, I got some good news. He said my chest x-ray was normal. I don't get it...but the x-ray wasn't on the light board when I saw it, so perhaps I just didn't see it properly.
I don't know, though. I have about decided that he's incompetent. He prescribed meds for the high triglycerides without noticing that I was already on Lopid, which I had been out of for a week before the tests...could have made a difference in the results. When I called today to ask if I should be taking both, they said, "Oh, No! Quit taking the Tricore!"
I had also been questioning him for some time about my potassium. He had me on 1/4 the amount I used to take. I was having horrible muscle cramps, not only in my legs and feet, but also my sides and belly. The minute they increased the amount, the cramps quit. My seizures also seemed to have stopped. When I asked him if they could have been caused by the low potassium, he just stared at the chart and said he didn't think so.

I do know I'm feeling much better. I have cut way back on the Carlton cigarettes (which are mostly air anyway), and have been eating much healthier.

So glad to hear it!!

Hopefully soon, you can ween yourself off of smoking entirely. It's hard, I know. I quit twice.

~Corey123.

~Corey123.

Back
Top Bottom