Dishes that I could take to long travel without fridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cracowstudent

Assistant Cook
Sometimes I am traveling long distances with my friends in the car and I I want to know dishes that are perfect for long journeys and don't spoil in the heat

When I have been on a few road trips where we didn't want to spend much at restaurants, we have brought small cans of fruit and of stuff like rice pudding. We have also brought cheese, dry cured meat, like karnatzel or other dry sausage. I also like Scandinavian crispy rye bread or Ryvita. Those will stay fresh practically forever if they don't get wet. Fresh fruit is good for the first day or two. Hard boiled eggs for a day or two. And also, celery sticks, carrot sticks, cauliflower florets, radishes, etc.

Biltong

How long is long?
Do you have a cooler box?

Is it just snacks you are looking for?

I would just walk the isles of the unrefridgerated section of the supermarket and check what's available.
Canned tuna and other fish, canned ham, crackers, crisps, lunch bars etc etc

Biltong is a form of dry, cured meat, isn't it, somewhat like jerky? That would definitely stay edible without refrigeration.

Biltong is a form of dry, cured meat, isn't it, somewhat like jerky? That would definitely stay edible without refrigeration.
Yep.
It's generally beef, cut into slices of 1-1.5 cm thick and marinated in worchestershire sauce, vinegar, salt and coriander. Then hung and air dried.
I like using silverside

Kudu and other game meat, and ostrich are also quite popular to use.
It's incredibly addictive :)

When it comes to road trip snacks that are both tasty and resilient in the heat, you've got some great options. Consider packing a variety of high fiber foods that are not only filling but also help sustain your energy throughout the journey.

Here are some top picks:

1. Trail Mix: A classic choice that combines nuts, seeds, and dried fruits. Opt for unsalted nuts and dried fruits without added sugars for a healthier option.

2. Whole Grain Crackers: Pair them with individual servings of nut butter or cheese for a satisfying snack that won't wilt in the heat.

3. Fresh Fruit: Apples, oranges, and bananas are excellent choices as they're easy to pack and won't spoil quickly. Plus, they provide a natural source of fiber.

4. Vegetable Sticks: Carrot sticks, celery, and bell pepper strips are crunchy and refreshing. Pair them with hummus or Greek yogurt dip for added protein.

5. Hard-Boiled Eggs: Packed with protein and nutrients, hard-boiled eggs are a convenient and filling snack option.

6. Granola Bars: Look for bars with whole grains and nuts for an extra fiber boost. Avoid those with excessive added sugars.

7. Jerky: Opt for lean beef or turkey jerky for a savory, protein-packed snack that's perfect for long journeys.

8. Roasted Chickpeas: Crispy and flavorful, roasted chickpeas make a satisfying and high-fiber snack.

Remember to pack plenty of water to stay hydrated, especially during long trips. And if you're planning on bringing perishable items like yogurt or cheese, consider using a cooler with ice packs to keep them fresh. Happy travels!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom