Do you Shake n Bake ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bill2468

Assistant Cook
When I want a quick meal I bake some chicken tenders dredged in Shake n Bake on a foil lined tray with some frozen french fries (both call for same time and temp.)

Question has any one used Shake n Bake on veggies? I would like to Shake n Bake some baby portobello mushrooms or sliced large portobello mushrooms.

BiLL :chef:

Last edited:
I don`t use shake`n`bake the brand, I make my own, but yes, it`s great on all sorts of things, Mushrooms as you say and potato wedges are the ones I`ve tried and work really well :)

I have made my own shake n bake mix from scratch but life is too short to mix up "bootlegged" shake n bake and one box with 2 pouches goes a long way (I put the plastic bag and crumbs in the freezer for future use.

But back to my question of time and temp. for non-meat or fish subjects ?

BiLL

I like Louisana brand seasoned fish fry to coat veggies I fry..makes great fried green tomatoes, chinese eggplant, etc..I usually don't use a egg dip becaue I dont like a lot of batter on stuff. Temp of oil kinda depends on the food your frying..usually between 350 to 375

Time will depend on thickness of item as well as its density so a simple answer I don't think can be given. Fish I never cook over too high a heat but you will want any coating to be fully cooked but that may be dealt with the quantity of oil as well. I would cook items the same as you usually would but with the consideration of the coating being well cooked.

I guess I would put to you whether you adjust the cooking time or temp for the chicken tenders when they are "naked". Shouldn't be any difference in your approach.

I'm about to start babbling so I'll leave this now to someone else.... ;-D

I have made my own shake n bake mix from scratch but life is too short to mix up "bootlegged" shake n bake and one box with 2 pouches goes a long way (I put the plastic bag and crumbs in the freezer for future use.

But back to my question of time and temp. for non-meat or fish subjects ?

BiLL

shake and bake with veggies is a bit more tricky, and would vary depending on what veggies you are using. for instance some cut up squash would take alot longer then say some mushroom caps...

i'd suggest maybe "shake n' fry" ??? this would be more of a practical way to make a coated/breaded vegitable dish i would think. you can shake the veggies with the shake and bake mixture and then deep fry them in some oil for a better, tastier finish. although if health is a big concern this isnt nearly as good as baking.

as far as baking id go with 350 degrees for veggies and id guess something along the lines of:

mushrooms 15-20 minutes
brocolli, cauliflower - 20 minutes
carrot 25-30 minutes
squash, potatoes 45- 60 minutes

fish again would depend on the type and cut but you could probably do most filets at 325 for 15-20 minutes.

also, it may be easier for you to steam the vegitables, then coat and bake them.

Back
Top Bottom