Even more Meatloaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw an article that discussed the use of plain gelatin and buttermilk, but my question is more on the use of gelatin. Has anyone used it in meatloaf?

Years and years ago the supermarket always sold packs of "meatloaf mix" comprising of beef, pork and veal. That stopped long ago.

In this article, they speak of gelatin replacing the veal, making the loaf tender.
I don't know if it has to do with collagen or what.

So, I bought Knox gelatin for a meatloaf I wanted to make for my grandson who loves the stuff, but forgot to use it!

Any thoughts?

Our recipe replaces the need for veal with a mixture of buttermilk and gelatin to deliver a velvety, incredibly moist meatloaf.

I’ve never used gelatin in a meatloaf but I have substituted less expensive ground turkey for veal with good results.

I add a packet of GOYA powdered beef bouillon to amp up the flavor in meatloaf and meatballs.

There are more ways to make the perfect meatloaf than there are cooks.

I’m curious to hear if gelatin makes a noticeable difference.

Kenji's articles are usually pretty reliable. He does say that the gelatin replaces the veal because the large amount of collagen in veal makes the mixture more tender.

I remember that meatloaf mix that used to be available in the grocery stores - I used to buy it, too. I have not tried using gelatin; I'm going to add this idea to my meatloaf recipe and give it a try next time I make it.

Kenji's articles are usually pretty reliable. He does say that the gelatin replaces the veal because the large amount of collagen in veal makes the mixture more tender.

I remember that meatloaf mix that used to be available in the grocery stores - I used to buy it, too. I have not tried using gelatin; I'm going to add this idea to my meatloaf recipe and give it a try next time I make it.
I agree about Kenji's articles. The meatloaf recipe in the link is more effort than I am willing to put into a meatloaf. But, I do have plans to try the gelatin. I don't think I have ever made a meatloaf with more than one kind of meat.

I know while I was in Quebec, meatloaf mix was available in grocers. It is here in Ontario too. I've only ever made a meatloaf with just beef perhaps twice? Both were posted here, a recipe I got from my sis and a recipe for tiny mini loaves. Both of which were excellent.

Wegman's still carries the meatloaf/meatball mix and that is what I always used to make my meatballs when I was taking care of my father in Niagara Falls. Here in California I have to buy them separately, and ground veal is very hard to find in a supermarket. You need to visit a butcher shop.

I usually get 1 pound of each and use half for meatballs and half for a meatloaf. I also substitute loose Italian sausage meat for plain pork, then I don't have to mess with seasoning.

I know while I was in Quebec, meatloaf mix was available in grocers. It is here in Ontario too. I've only ever made a meatloaf with just beef perhaps twice? Both were posted here, a recipe I got from my sis and a recipe for tiny mini loaves. Both of which were excellent.
I use 1 lb. of ground beef and 1/2 lb. of ground pork.

Wegman's still carries the meatloaf/meatball mix and that is what I always used to make my meatballs when I was taking care of my father in Niagara Falls. Here in California I have to buy them separately, and ground veal is very hard to find in a supermarket. You need to visit a butcher shop.

I usually get 1 pound of each and use half for meatballs and half for a meatloaf. I also substitute loose Italian sausage meat for plain pork, then I don't have to mess with seasoning.
I use 1 lb of ground beef and 1/2 lb of ground pork. My meatloaf is seasoned with sage and mustard powder; using loose Italian sausage would make it taste too much like my lasagna sauce 😉 😁

Why would any meatloaf taste like any kind of sauce?

When I worked at Amoretti they asked me to come up with a low fat, low carb meal, and this is what I did:

Last edited:
That's an easy one Sir LOB - using the same spices.... you could 'potentially' use meat spices in a pound cake and it would taste like... lasagna?

Back
Top Bottom