Favorite Grocery Store Aisle Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These days I stick with Pepperidge Farms Chessmen, Barnum's Animal Crackers, and overpriced snack packs of Lorna Doone shortbread.

Anna's Ginger Thin Swedish Cookies are a special treat but I have trouble stopping once I open that tiny little package. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

About the only cookies I ever buy in a store are Oreos, as those are the only chocolate cookies I can't approximate the flavor of (and other, similar chocolate cookies, like hydrox, just aren't the same!). I even tried one of those "Secret Recipes" of Todd Wilbur's, which has a Duncan Hine's Devil's Food cake mix as the chocolate flavor - something I'd probably not had since my childhood, but I bit the bullet, and bought a box. I don't recall what else was in it (and I didn't make the filling), but it did not taste like oreos. Sigh....:(

Another cookie I occasionally buy, when at Trader Joe's, is a gingersnap they have, which is delicious, and I often use something they they put in that, when I make gingersnaps - some minced up candied ginger.

About the only cookies I ever buy in a store are Oreos, as those are the only chocolate cookies I can't approximate the flavor of (and other, similar chocolate cookies, like hydrox, just aren't the same!). I even tried one of those "Secret Recipes" of Todd Wilbur's, which has a Duncan Hine's Devil's Food cake mix as the chocolate flavor - something I'd probably not had since my childhood, but I bit the bullet, and bought a box. I don't recall what else was in it (and I didn't make the filling), but it did not taste like oreos. Sigh....:(
You might want to try this recipe by Stella Parks, aka Bravetart, from Serious Eats. She specializes in iconic sweet treats. In fact, her book is called "BraveTart: Iconic American Desserts."

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/08/how-to-make-oreo-style-cookies-from-scratch.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom