Feasting on Asphalt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am curious as to what Alton will bring to the "food travelogue channel". Thank goodness I can still get 6-7 hours of cooking programs that are not "what I ate when I went there ..." on PBS every Saturday!

I saw part of the episode last night where Alton went to places in GA, SC, and NC. The part with the pigs foot was funny! Also the comment about his grandma.

"She owed me money."

i haven't seen it yet, but I'll take him over Rachel any time of the day. Though I thonk all this travelling fits more on travel chanel. I wish they had more cooking.

CharlieD said:
i haven't seen it yet, but I'll take him over Rachel any time of the day. Though I thonk all this travelling fits more on travel chanel. I wish they had more cooking.

Hey, he made biscuits from scratch! It looks to be a very informal "seat of the pants" type of show but I am sure its more structured than that.

JohnL said:
I haven't seen it yet either,
But AB is my favorite on the FN, so I'm looking forward to it.

If you like AB you'll love it. If you like motorcycles and travel you will be so envious of him!

What if you like AB. but could care less about motorcycles?

I tivo'd it last night and will watch it when I get a chance.

TATTRAT said:
He is, and has won the James Beard Award NUMEROUS times. Although his emphasis is on molecular gastronomy, I like his aproach on cooking and fundamentals.

He's won JB awards for writing cookbooks. That does not necessarily make him a "chef".

I know how popular this will make me but I think he is a hopeless twit. I cannot stand his mugging and the quick and silly camera angles he uses to fill up time and supposedly elucidate his gastornomic stuff.
Apparently one of the places on Saturday was in our city. He has been here as part of a culinary arts week-end--with Sara Moulton--several years ago. A friend said "He sure is a put down artist".

Last edited:
Gretchen said:
He's won JB awards for writing cookbooks. That does not necessarily make him a "chef".

I know how popular this will make me but I think he is a hopeless twit. I cannot stand his mugging and the quick and silly camera angles he uses to fill up time.

You cannot deny his knowledge of food. I do remember the time on Iron Chef America (battle salmon) when he asked the challenger what the bottle of green liquid beside the sink was.

The challenger said "that's called soap!":LOL:

The soap thing was the last week or so.
I won't deny his knowledge--but it doesn't make it any easier for me to watch him, so I don't.
I actually like him on Iron Chef because he is so normal looking, talking, and clothed.

Boring show. Not impressed at all; kids thought it was some sort of science/history class.

I really enjoy Alton, and this show is great. OK I am a motorcycle guy- and a food guy, and a science guy... go figure... I like his chops.

As for his education someone said he was culinary school grad... ok maybe so, but I also happen to have read his undergraduate degree was a dual major in food science and communications.

I like him.

For those of you on Eastern Standard Time, the Alton Brown show that just started (7 p.m.) is the terrific one on garlic, where he's teaching a vampire how to use it!!

Defnitely one of the great episodes!!

Yeah I am really confused about that one too vagriller.

Gretchen have you seen him in his birthday suit or something?

I had thought that "yet another travelogue" eating show would be somewhat better with AB as the host and creator. At least I wouln't have to listen to Rachel Ray's inane squeaky "how good does that look" - "how yummy does that look" - or ... ad nauseous infinitum .... smiley load of crap. A couple of years ago I could tune into the Food Network in the evening and get real "cooking" shows (like Cooking Live with Sarah Molton) ... now I get drivel I wouldn't watch on the travel channel!!!

AB was my last hope - well, him and the Dean boys ... but alas, drivel - pure drivel!!! When AB couldn't handle a pickled pig's foot (heck - I was eating them from a roadside stand on the way home from school when I was 10, with a RC Cola to wash it down) ... he lost my confidence in him really being a "Southern" boy. While Paula's kids are proving to be a little more intertaining than AB .. still just more travelogue drivel.

Thank heavens it's still baseball season so I have an interesting alternative!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom