Finally bought a bench scraper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I mostly use mine when I am chopping, dicing, or mincing veg or fruit. It's a great scoop and scraper for the solid bits, and as blissful mentioned, a good way to deal with liquids that are trying to escape.

I thought I'd never need one. I finally gave in and got one, primarily to scrape the dough and stuff off my marble pastry board, but I use it consistently to pick anything and everything off the cutting board. I'm at the point where I feel every kitchen should have one. It's just so convenient.

I have two - they are daily use items.

the 'scoop it up' is only one use.
I use a scraper to "chop-mix" meatloaf onion+green pepper+dried bread
also very similar for "chop-mix" dividing of meatballs
along with chop-partitioning bread dough for rolls

along with: "cleaning tool"
I fold/knead breads / roll out pastries / pizza crust / etc&et.al. on a granite island - sometimes on the cutting board. stuff like very wettish no-knead is best (initially) handled with a scraper.
that activity leaves 'bits and stickies' on the surface - a scraper is several thousand times quicker/more effective at finding/removing stuck on bits than a dishcloth.

same for pounding beef/chicken/pork into thinner/schnitzel form - the scraper cleans up the wooden board in a flash (followed by a thorough wipe down . . .)

I rarely, if ever, use the scraper to scoop up chopped veggies to move them to a pot/pan or other container. I just pick up the board and move it to the destination then use my hand/knife to guide the veggies off the board.

I rarely, if ever, use the scraper to scoop up chopped veggies to move them to a pot/pan or other container. I just pick up the board and move it to the destination then use my hand/knife to guide the veggies off the board.
I use the "move the board" method some of the time. But, when I am prepping stuff into prep bowls, I find it easier to steer the chopped up bits into the bowl with the bench scraper. I can pick up a lot more with the bench scraper than with a chef's knife. Yeah, that only relevant some of the time.

".... pick up the board and move it . . . "

exceedingly dependent on the size of the board.
me gottum' um' board.
not a practical solution here.

Asside fro, my larger cutting boards, I have a few of those flexible plastic 'cutting boards' ( or whatever they are called). Whats nice about them,is after cutting on them , you can kinda fold the 'board' which makes dumping the veggies ( or whatever ) easy and precise into the pot, bowl ... Really good if its something like tomatoes, so their juices dont spill all over the place.

Asside fro, my larger cutting boards, I have a few of those flexible plastic 'cutting boards' ( or whatever they are called). Whats nice about them,is after cutting on them , you can kinda fold the 'board' which makes dumping the veggies ( or whatever ) easy and precise into the pot, bowl ... Really good if its something like tomatoes, so their juices dont spill all over the place.
I liked that "fold them" part, so I bought a set of three from Ikea. I almost never use them. I don't like the way it feels when you cut or chop food on them.

They are floppy, so I find them a nuisance to wash by hand.

Along with: "cleaning tool"
I fold/knead breads / roll out pastries / pizza crust / etc&et.al. on a granite island - sometimes on the cutting board. stuff like very wettish no-knead is best (initially) handled with a scraper.
that activity leaves 'bits and stickies' on the surface - a scraper is several thousand times quicker/more effective at finding/removing stuck on bits than a dishcloth.
I hate getting those sticky bits on the counter, so many years ago, before I got my scraper, I started doing stuff like that on my Silpat. It's much easier to clean that in the sink than off the counter.

I bought a scraper some years ago when I decided I should learn how to bake sourdough bread.
I use it occasionally.

I tend to use my Thai cleavers much more often.
Screenshot_20240422-181436.jpg

That's what I always did. And I sometimes still find myself doing it that way until I remember I have the scraper. I find it difficult to break old habits when it comes to cooking. But I'm getting used to using it occasionally.

I'm also finding all of the other suggestions in this thread useful.

I do it a bunch of ways. Most common would be using the blade of the knife, then pick-up the board, if there is multiple things chopped on the same board, then the knife unless it is a huge amount, in which case I will use the scraper.I have multiple boards from wood to plastic and with multiple chops will use several.

For bread it is almost always the sracper.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom