First venison liver I've cooked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
Some friends got a deer yesterday, and gave me a good amount of it again, and cleaned it last night, then cooked the liver this morning, making my usual chipotle sauce, that I originally cooked chicken livers in, and later, beef and pork livers, as well. I cooked it under pressure for 5 minutes, releasing after 10 minutes, and the small piece I tried was tough, which I expected, but also a lot of liquid cooked out. I didn't want to waste it, and there was not enough liver for the amount of sauce, so I cooked about 12 oz of ground venison, to mix with it, and it turned out great.

The sauce, after I fried it, and thickened it greatly, I mixed with the liver and liquid, then added it to the browned meat in the Instant Pot. Then I cooked it on slow cook high, for 3 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally, and it thickened nicely, plus tenderized the liver. I took it back over to my friend's house, plus some corn tortillas, which I heated on the open flame on my range (my favorite way of doing this, since it blackens them some), and we finished off all 20 of them! The son (this was his first muzzle loader deer, and he was thrilled about it!) cooked some of the deer in a slow cooker with some seasonings, to make some "pulled venison", but we had to just eat a little of it - the tacos and some veggies totally filled us up. Tomorrow, we'll try some more - I'll have to take even more tortillas!
Chipotle sauce started - the can of tomatoes, blended with garlic cloves, moritas, canned chipotles, then added to the the pan of browned onions. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The chipotle sauce, fried just over 9 minutes, with 2 tb salsa negra added, for more flavor. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cleaned venison liver, cooked in IP for 5 minutes, pressure released after 10 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Venison liver, plus 12 oz ground venison, browned, and mixed with the liver and chipotle sauce, cooked 3 1/2 hrs, on slow cook high. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The father liked the chipotle sauce so much that he told I'd have to teach him to do it. After I rattled off the recipe, and method to him, he went "Hmmmm...I think I'll let you keep doing it." :LOL:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom