Flour + Butter/margarine ratio for breadcrumbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seans_potato_business

Senior Cook
This recipe says to use equal proportions of butter and flour to achieve a breadcrumb consistency, but mine ended up more like a dough. Can you advise whether or not this proportions as given are likely to be appropriate (as opposed to a mistake)?

How did you mix it? Did you use real butter or margarine? When I want to make a crumble, I use cold butter. If you let the butter get soft it will cream more than crumble giving you more of a dough. Also the softer margarines will cream more than crumble which is why I stick with fresh from the fridge butter. You can use a fork or hand mixer on low to get the crumbs.

I see... it was most likely softer than the recipe intended. I've used another recipe before which called for twice as much flour as margarine so I thought this might be wrong. Nonetheless, it does say that I can use margarine, and my margarine is stored in the fridge, so the recipe ought to deal with this eventuality.

Just chill your "dough" for awhile. Then, when it's chilled, it sould break up crumbley. Although I don't use margarine. It looks like your butter/marg got too soft.
It's fixable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom