Looking for recipe, 100% whole wheat flour, and no sugar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uscgvet

Assistant Cook
I've been making a very simple recipe (newbie here) from Steve's No-Knead Bread YouTube channel. It's part bread flour and part whole wheat flour. I'd like to use all whole wheat flour, and I also want to add one of the hot multigrain cereals. Then just to complicate things some more, I don't want to add any sugars. Is this possible? how close can I come? Thanks so much!

Sure, you can make bread with just whole wheat flour (and add the multi-grain cereal) and no sugar.
I make a ww bread, all ww flour, water, yeast, and a T of orange juice concentrate. The King Arthur Baking book said the orange juice they add helps the flavor of the WW flour, and they tested that with consumer groups and found it to be true. I tried it and it is better with a little bit of orange juice. You can't actually taste the orange juice, it just improves the wheat bread flavor.
If your taste buds are not used to eating plain ww bread, you might miss the sugar but it certainly isn't necessary structurally or chemically to get a good bread.
We store it sliced and frozen, serve it toasted most of the time. The usual star of bread or toast is what you put on it, tomatoes, puree/jam, avocado, or make it a sandwich or to serve a burger on.
bottomboardsfood-008.jpg

Sure, you can make bread with just whole wheat flour (and add the multi-grain cereal) and no sugar.
I make a ww bread, all ww flour, water, yeast, and a T of orange juice concentrate. The King Arthur Baking book said the orange juice they add helps the flavor of the WW flour, and they tested that with consumer groups and found it to be true. I tried it and it is better with a little bit of orange juice. You can't actually taste the orange juice, it just improves the wheat bread flavor.
If your taste buds are not used to eating plain ww bread, you might miss the sugar but it certainly isn't necessary structurally or chemically to get a good bread.
We store it sliced and frozen, serve it toasted most of the time. The usual star of bread or toast is what you put on it, tomatoes, puree/jam, avocado, or make it a sandwich or to serve a burger on.
bottomboardsfood-008.jpg

That sounds wonderful! I had never thought of orange juice! Could I ask for the recipe?

I've been making ww bread for many years. Sometimes if I want a stronger structure I'll add a few T of gluten flour........but my basic recipe is this:
3.25 cups of warm water
1 heaping T yeast
1 T orange juice concentrate
and 6+ cups of whole wheat flour (I've been using Dakota Maid brand lately)
I go by feel, it needs to be a very strong dough, that becomes hard to knead. (not soft and mushy) I make it in a kitchen aid mixer with dough hook and then knead and shape by hand, into two large loaf pans. Let it rise about 20 minutes. Bake at 350 deg F for 37 minutes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom