Foods that you have to get used to the taste before you like

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pepper, why do you say you are "lucky you don't drink it anymore." I hope you are referring to herbal teas rather than 'regular' teas. Regular teas still have a good amount of caffeine, not quite as much as coffee but still enough if you are drinking huge quantities of it.
I know you were referring to pepperhead, but just seeing the word "pepper" reminded me that I didn't used to use black pepper in anything. Not sprinkled on cooked food, not used while cooking, nothing. But now I really like it and use it in mashed potatoes, soups, eggs, etc, when before those foods never saw a drop of it. I just gradually got used to the taste of it and started liking it and now I reach for both the salt and the pepper when cooking.

It is like hot peppers, start gradual and before you know it - you love HOT! (well, almost)
That one I have tried and I still can't do it. I love mild banana peppers and that's about as far as I can take it. I'm a major wimp when it comes to spicy food. Now, I do love the flavor of jalapeno. But just the flavor, not the heat. For example, I love jalapeno poppers. But only because the seeds and the pith have been removed, I can tolerate eating them.

pepper, why do you say you are "lucky you don't drink it anymore." I hope you are referring to herbal teas rather than 'regular' teas. Regular teas still have a good amount of caffeine, not quite as much as coffee but still enough if you are drinking huge quantities of it.
I was referring to the amount of sugar and heavy cream that was in every cup of the coffee I would drink! Regular teas I don't sweeten nearly as much, and definitely don't put any heavy cream in them!

I don like the caffeine in coffee, but I like the taste of coffee too. I know that, because I enjoy a well made decaffeinated coffee.

Pepper? are you saying you don't like the taste of the cream and sugar that was in it? or just the consequences. (for your waistline, LOL)

and you too, taxy,
are you saying you can taste the difference if the coffee has caffeine in it? or just the consequences of the caffeine?

Pepper? are you saying you don't like the taste of the cream and sugar that was in it? or just the consequences. (for your waistline, LOL)

and you too, taxy,
are you saying you can taste the difference if the coffee has caffeine in it? or just the consequences of the caffeine?
I don't taste a difference between good decaf and good regular coffee. I don't drink coffee in the evenings anymore. But, once in a while, a nice cup of decaf espresso is just the thing to go with an after supper dessert.

It's not that I can't sleep if I drink caffeine in the evening. It's that I can't get myself to bed. If I can make myself go to bed after the caffeine, I fall asleep just fine.

I grew up in the northern US and we didn't eat greens growing up. We had spinach once in a blue moon but not any variety of greens.
When I switched my diet to more vegetables and learned about greens, I started trying them. I had a hard time liking them. So I made green smoothies for a couple of months straight, every morning. Mostly fruit but always greens. I called them kermit smoothies. I started to enjoy them after a while and could add more greens and less fruit.
So now 4 years later, I mostly don't make smoothies (not often at all) but I like all kinds of greens and eat them every day sometimes more than one or two kinds a day. The bitter flavor was something I had to learn to love and I do. Today I had brussel sprouts and veggie rice. I only use a little sprinkle of active AC vinegar and salt or no-salt. I like the taste of them plain too.

Sparkling water, seltzers, etc.

None of them taste vary good, but I drink a lot of them. Right now, I'm drinking a Bubly caffeinated seltzer. Tastes bad, but I'm used to it. Want the caffeine, but don't want a Diet Dr. Pepper, am too lazy to make tea and hate coffee.

I'm good with straight Club Soda as well.

L

I have heard it said that people don't drink coffee for the taste but for the lift.
I can't stand a strong smell of coffee. It makes me slightly nauseous and has ever since I was a kid when my mom would brew it in the morning. And I'm glad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom