French Onion Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
We make this often and it's extremely delicious, easy AND inexpensive! Only thing was due to timing and where I live I was unable to get Gruyere cheese, so provolone sufficed!

img_1250412_0_208e2bc71d0b009b4accc0e5f51a6f7f.jpg
img_1250412_1_c0278009c142a94a81b93eee7c20faf9.jpg
img_1250412_2_74d379a7df65cf6c2690a0520b04407d.jpg
img_1250412_3_2efbf7212a016719a3049eddc7338b49.jpg
img_1250412_4_ba1cf4ca359fbde26d03ca97a6cc9487.jpg
img_1250412_5_aa15bc828c47af81c2e27753ae40562a.jpg
img_1250412_6_463012a67fea86a9e83607832cbed651.jpg
img_1250412_7_042f0b07222be6baf4b9bef12cd391dc.jpg

Looks delicious! I've tried making caramelized onions before... no luck! I'm too impatient. I either burn them or eat them before they can even get to that stage haha

Looks delicious! I've tried making caramelized onions before... no luck! I'm too impatient. I either burn them or eat them before they can even get to that stage haha

Caramelizing onions properly takes patience like making a proper roux!! Your patience will be worth the effort in the end!! Thank you so much for the compliment!

I haven't done it myself but I think there was a tip in a thread here on DC where someone filled their crockpot with onions and added the butter and let the slowcooker caramelize the onions. I love French onion soup. That looks so good Larry!

oh man, i'm drooling.

nicely done, lw.

any possibility of posting a recipe, or amounts/directions to the picture? :chef:

Great pix! MichelleCindy - if you cook the onions low and slow you won't burn them :)

I love making French onion soup - only I make it with Mexican green onions because I can't eat regular onions. The trick in mine is to add a lot of Thyme when I'm cooking down the beef bones for the stock :)

oh man, i'm drooling.

nicely done, lw.

any possibility of posting a recipe, or amounts/directions to the picture? :chef:

Thanks! I don't have a recipe I go by normally, however I will be making it sooner than later. When I do I will post an exact recipe!

Thank you!

Looks fantastic! What really does it for me though is the gruyere. We always buy some when we find it. It seems to be a hit or miss item at our local grocery.:(

Oh boy, Thanks for sharing. I had those bowls years ago. In one move or another I seem to have misplaced them and F.O.S. hasn't tasted the same ever since (which I haven't cooked in forever either.) Thanks for the reminder. YUM!

Looks fantastic! What really does it for me though is the gruyere. We always buy some when we find it. It seems to be a hit or miss item at our local grocery.:(

Yes, especially in the little town I'm in. We have dairy farms all over, but no cheese makers and a Flim Flam Grocery store!! LOL

This looks delicious. I can't stop myself for thinking about eating this soup on a winter day, cold feet, sweet home and delicious smell floating around....

This looks delicious. I can't stop myself for thinking about eating this soup on a winter day, cold feet, sweet home and delicious smell floating around....

Now you're making me hungry!! Thank you!

I shouldn't have looked at this thread. I love French onion soup, and it IS a cold, wintery day here, and I have only one little 1/2 of an onion. Roads are bad, so no reason to drive the 8 miles to a store (except to get onions). :ermm:

By the way, the pictures look great. Maybe I could just lick the iPad?

I shouldn't have looked at this thread. I love French onion soup, and it IS a cold, wintery day here, and I have only one little 1/2 of an onion. Roads are bad, so no reason to drive the 8 miles to a store (except to get onions). :ermm:

By the way, the pictures look great. Maybe I could just lick the iPad?

I know, I don't have any onion, either...been only getting them one at a time since they are not keeping well these days.

Back
Top Bottom