Friday 29 September - Change of Season Dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jade Emperor

Sous Chef
Yiros šŸ« 

IMG_0352.jpeg

Into the oven I popped some frozen French Fries and on either side of the pan plopped 2 frozen Schneider's Original Jumbo Juicy Wieners. They were exactly that, jumbo and juicy. The fries and wieners cooked perfectly at the same temperature and took the same length of time. A great one pan meal!
A little side dish of ketchup to serve.

I would be interested to know also @Aunt Bea ?
I have done the creamed spinach that seems very prominent in US cuisine, but I didnā€™t like it. (love the taste of spinach, still looking for a way to cook it without it losing its green vibrancy)
Cabbage or even broccoli or cauliflower might be nice with a ā€œcreamingā€ recipe?

Never thought of creaming cabbage. Aunt Bea, how's it go?
Last nightā€™s version used a wedge of cabbage leftover from my boiled dinner earlier in the week.

The cabbage was already cooked so I just ran a knife through it and added a cup of cream sauce. I baked it for 30 minutes in a 350f oven until bubbly.

This version has appeared in many church cookbooks and is very good.

When I make it I usually start with a bag of pre shredded coleslaw mix and top it with a can of French fried onion rings.

Itā€™s a nice casserole to tote to family gatherings and potlucks, good warm or close to room temperature.

These days itā€™s dinner at my house.

I would be interested to know also @Aunt Bea ?
I have done the creamed spinach that seems very prominent in US cuisine, but I didnā€™t like it. (love the taste of spinach, still looking for a way to cook it without it losing its green vibrancy)
Cabbage or even broccoli or cauliflower might be nice with a ā€œcreamingā€ recipe?
You could use the same technique for creamed cabbage that you use for creamed spinach but the cooking time for the cabbage will be significantly longer than for spinach. I would steam the chopped cabbage in a wide shallow covered skillet with a minimum of water until tender, remove the cover, increase the heat to drive off the remaining water, reduce heat, add enough heavy cream to coat, remove from heat, stir in a knob of butter and maybe a small handful of grated cheese.

Sounds wonderful - Working my way thru a head of cabbage so I will definitely be trying this.
Thanks Aunt Bea.
Jade,
that is also pretty much how I do my creamed spinach. Just a white sauce with maybe a hint of onion and nutmeg. I don't think it overwhelms the spinach at all. The colour is still vibrant as after you add it the heat should now be off. I leave it in the pan and on the burner till serving One of my favourite ways to have it.

I used a new-to-me recipe for Smothered Hamburger Steak - HOWEVER, I read the recipe over and over again and realized, the author left out an important step! Cooking this raw burger with the sauce for 10 minutes will NOT produce a cooked burger! Glad I read it thru completely before starting dinner!

I used another new recipe for Baked Potato Wedges as a side. They were good...all, in all, a good meal. Oh, and there was a Caesar's Salad too.

taxy - How did you fix your mushrooms for the toast? Oh, and seasoned with salt and pepper when I put it on the toast.
I just cut them up and fried them in butter and EVOO.

The mushrooms that I got for that ramen noodle vegi dish I finally made had gotten a bit past their prime. They needed triage. Since I only needed half of the 'shrooms in the container for that recipe, I took the bigger pieces for that dish and put the rest aside for me to have on toast. I fried the funny looking bits first and put them in a mis-en-place bowl and then fried the nice half for the recipe.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom