Friday's Dinner or Supper, September 8th, 2023

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Had an all dressed Hamburger. Seems like awhile since I had one. It was positively amazing.

Preformed, frozen patty done in the skillet with some onion and mushroom sizzling around it. Seasoned with 'Smokey Bourbon Rub'. Served with tomato, relish, mustard and some cheese (couple of slices under the meat). Served on one of those Brioche Buns I had bought and froze along with the patties.
That little touch of sweetness in the brioche bun was perfect.
Gooey dripping delight!

Super Burger 23.09.08.jpg

So, @Texmex mentioned an easy beef sandwich recipe, and I said, hmmmm...so into the crock pot it went. I tasted it and while it was very good, as is, I added a large spoonful of prepared horseradish and called it perfect. Asked DH, big sandwich or regular. He chose regular and said it was very good. A few more bites and he said, there's more, right? And, as he finished it, he said, can I have another one, please? LOL. We had the sandwiches with some of yesterday's potato salad. Thank you Texmex!

I had decided to eat a sourdough burger I made, but I made the mistake of going to the store to pick up a few things I couldn't find at Winco the other day. Now, I have a very small fridge and freezer. Larger than a dorm fridge but nowhere near the size of a regular fridge.

So by the time I shoved everything into the freezer, I still had a box of shrimp that just wasn't going to fit in there. So I had shrimp for supper and popcorn for dessert. I was going to try a Safeway individual pie that I bought on sale, but one bite made me pass on that idea. Yuk!

So, @Texmex mentioned an easy beef sandwich recipe, and I said, hmmmm...so into the crock pot it went. I tasted it and while it was very good, as is, I added a large spoonful of prepared horseradish and called it perfect. Asked DH, big sandwich or regular. He chose regular and said it was very good. A few more bites and he said, there's more, right? And, as he finished it, he said, can I have another one, please? LOL. We had the sandwiches with some of yesterday's potato salad. Thank you Texmex!
I'm so glad yours came out well and I like your addition of horseradish to give it a little buzz. I just ate one for breakfast. When I made the grocery list I had put large buns on there and then I took them off because I have a whole loaf of bread and it's just me and I knew the bread would go to waste and it's actually just fine on just bread. The good thing about doing just bread is when I do buns I always want to toast them and that's a pain.

Oddly for the first time I made this I had a little trouble getting it tender enough. I'm going to blame it on the roast. I asked for a 3 lb chuck roast and they gave me a package of little ones that totaled three and three quarter pound and the one I used yesterday honestly to me didn't look like a chuck roast. So I had only been cooking them for 3 hours and that had been enough in the past and it wasn't enough on this one but I guess that's to be expected sometimes. But in the end tastes good but could be a little more tender. I think it probably needed 5 hours which is kind of crazy because I only used about a one and a half pound roast.

Last edited:
I'm so glad yours came out well and I like your addition of horseradish to give it a little buzz. I just ate one for breakfast. When I made the grocery list I had put large buns on there and then I took them off because I have a whole loaf of bread and it's just me and I knew the bread would go to waste and it's actually just fine on just bread. The good thing about doing just bread is when I do buns I always want to toast them and that's a pain.

Oddly for the first time I made this I had a little trouble getting it tender enough. I'm going to blame it on the roast. I asked for a 3 lb chuck roast and they gave me a package of little ones that totaled three and three quarter pound and the one I used yesterday honestly to me didn't look like a chuck roast. So I had only been cooking them for 3 hours and that had been enough in the past and it wasn't enough on this one but I guess that's to be expected sometimes. But in the end tastes good but could be a little more tender. I think it probably needed 5 hours which is kind of crazy because I only used about a one and a half pound roast.
I didn't mention, but...I did cut the roast down to big chunks. Maybe 5 or 6, I didn't count. I do that with a Chili Colorado recipe. It give a chance to cut off a bit of the larger chunks of fat. Not all of the fat! Love the flavor and it depends on the piece of meat. So, I did that, considered browning the meat, but decided to skip that. I used a 14.5 oz can of Beef Broth instead of water. I used the Crock Pot and I cooked it about 4.5 hours on HIGH. Reason: Again that Chili recipe that wants that meat to be just falling apart. Then, when I thought it done enough, I removed the meat, turned the Crock Pot to "Stove top" mode and selected high. (Probably could have just left it in slow cooker-high mode.) While I was shredding the meat, I let the juices cook down until it reduced by about half and was much thicker. Tasted, added the horseradish, added back the meat...and turned it down to low, waiting for dinner time. DH loved, I loved it. Again, thanks for the recipe!!

I cut it into about 3/4 lb chunks. It really should have been okay. I do think there was something wrong with that roast. I've made it quite a bit and never had an issue with it before and I put the roast in there 3 lb whole before and had it come out right. But that's too much for just me so I started doing smaller.

You mentioned about putting beef broth in there. Another of my favorite Lipton recipes is the beef stew one that uses beef broth. It's really simple and good too but too hot for this weather.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom