Frying Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, I decided to try my hand at "Chinese Takeout Wings" just to mix up the flavor variety a bit. Once again, I studied multiple recipes on Youtube and found that the bulk centered on the following ingredients.

8 Whole chicken wings (I had 10 and didn't adjust the recipe)
1/8 tsp Black Pepper
1/4 tsp White Pepper
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1.5 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Sugar
1 tbs Soy Sauce
1 tbs Shaoxing wine
1 tsp Sesame oil
1 egg
1 tbs cornstarch (you can add a little bite more for more crunch/crispy)
2 tbs all purpose flour

Basically, mix all of your dry seasoning in a bowl, stir and then add your egg and the wet seasonings. Pour this over your chicken pieces (I used wings) and then add the flour and cornstarch and mix well into the chicken. Set in a bowl and let marinate overnight. After marinating, the chicken will still be a bit "wet", so add an additional 1 tbs of cornstarch and 2 tbs flour and mix well. You are looking for a sticky consistency. Not too wet. Not too overly coated.

Deep fry at 325 degf for 5:30. Take out wings and let them stand for 15 minutes. Deep fry a second time at 375 degf for 4 additional minutes. Apparently, the double fry is the trick for Chinese/Asian chicken wings.

Mine came out crispy and SO moist on the inside. The flavor was somewhat muted compared to Western Style/Cajun spice that I have done in the past, but I was very pleased with the results.
20240504_185412.jpg

So this is extra, over and above what you added after the initial mix?
Yes sir. The initial flour and cornstarch are for the chicken pieces to marinade overnight. After marinating, you need to determine if your chicken is still too wet. Mine was, so the recipe calls to continue to add 2 tbs of flour and 1 tbs of cornstarch until the chicken pieces are just sticky. Not too wet and not too overly coated.

Great, thank you! Was pretty sure that's what you meant (and as you said) but I've been known to completely misunderstand some pretty simple instructions!

I just wanted to add a note to this. I had to store some of the wings I made in the refrigerator as I could not eat them all at once. I reheated them in an Advantium like I typically due all fried chicken and these came out with the skin very rubbery, which was a big turn of for me. The flavor was the same, but I cannot understand why the skin turned rubbery?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom