Garlic garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really hope I can get my garlic to grow this year. I'm struggling to find a good spot to plant them in the yard. I even tried containers, but it did not go well. My mother told me that my yard lacks enough sunlight. :glare:

~Kathleen

I really hope I can get my garlic to grow this year. I'm struggling to find a good spot to plant them in the yard. I even tried containers, but it did not go well. My mother told me that my yard lacks enough sunlight. :glare:

~Kathleen

She says that as an excuse to kill trees... :cool:

We just harvested almost half the garlic garden and they (Rose du Var and German Mountain) are drying on the deck. I still have to string them up to dry for a month. We only lost one bulb, shoveled it through the side, the few hundred of others are beautiful!

I realized I don't have a cover crop to grow until winter--something good for the soil when we till it in. Anyone have ideas on what to plant?

I have always planted "way too much" wild garlic. I plant them in my rose beds to deter aphids.

img_1023871_0_015762d8eb591c8cb6cad8092f9fe4de.jpg

Then, the first year I only harvest about 1/3 to 1/2 of it. I leave the rest of the garlic in the ground to self seed and grow for the 2nd year.

The second year and thereafter, I have tons of garlic and I only harvest the huge stemmed ones and leave the littler ones. That way I never have to plant it again.

Did you know that you can freeze garlic? I just clean the bulbs and put them into zip lock bags. Then I toss the bag into the freezer. When I am making a stew or something, I take out what I need, rinse under the faucet and set aside for a few minutes. Then it is soft enough to be chopped or sliced.

Back
Top Bottom