Grocery deals!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got bananas at lidl for 33¢/lb, and that is the lowest they have been since I can remember! And the organics were only 49¢, which is what the regular ones are on a normal day, in Aldi.

I got bananas at lidl for 33¢/lb, and that is the lowest they have been since I can remember! And the organics were only 49¢, which is what the regular ones are on a normal day, in Aldi.
Yes, wish we had Lidl. Aldi bananas are Fyfe I think? I like Dole and Chiquita. Walmart has one of those, I think .47 lb.

@Jusa that's what we have Fyffe bananas. Those are the ones they usually have in the reduced produce bags.

The ones I get at Aldi usually are Chiquita - I have 3 of those dead ripe for a banana bread now! I had to look, but the ones from lidl today are "ONE". I've never noticed that before.

My grocery bargain for today was a pound of some really good butter. It's made in Canada - Lactantia cultured, unsalted butter in sticks for CAD 7.79. I haven't bought any in quite a while, so I hope it is still as good as I remember. I discovered it a few years after moving to Montreal from Copenhagen. It tasted almost exactly like the Lurpak butter I used to get in Denmark. This will only be used where its lovely flavour will be noticed.
Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 00-17-23 Online grocery Metro.png

That price isn't bad at all - considering that your prices are usually much higher, and the cultured butter here is usually around $4, for a half pound! Not something I buy, except for very seldom serving on the table (with some homemade bread, of course!). When it was available, early on, I tried some basic shortbreads, and a couple other cookies with them, but the cultured butter wasn't very noticeable, even compared side-by-side.

This sale ends Wednesday so I guess I will go brave the cold and buy some ribs and pork tenderloins. On Wednesdays this store had a $10 off digital coupon if the shopper spends $75. I think I can manage that!

1701118232228.png

We spent $20 for groceries today, broccoli was 99 cent/lb, 4 lbs. 3 packs of tofu, 3 for $5. 3 bunches of greens 99 cents (mustard and kale). 3 tomatoes, 3 pack of romaine. A bag of bananas.

Cranberries were 79 cents/12 oz packages, a good deal. We didn't buy any. They will be cleared out now through the first week in January, sometimes as low as 33 cents/package if we are lucky. Be on the look out at all the stores. They can be dehydrated or canned or frozen.

Potatoes are on sale at kwiktrip for $1/5 lbs russets until Dec 4th.

We spent $20 for groceries today, broccoli was 99 cent/lb, 4 lbs. 3 packs of tofu, 3 for $5. 3 bunches of greens 99 cents (mustard and kale). 3 tomatoes, 3 pack of romaine. A bag of bananas.

Cranberries were 79 cents/12 oz packages, a good deal. We didn't buy any. They will be cleared out now through the first week in January, sometimes as low as 33 cents/package if we are lucky. Be on the look out at all the stores. They can be dehydrated or canned or frozen.

Potatoes are on sale at kwiktrip for $1/5 lbs russets until Dec 4th.
I've got some mustard greens in my frige I need to cook. I love them!

You made a nice score.

Nice Sale Jusa - go for it and fill the freezer!

I've been looking a ribs for a while. But I swore I would finish the freezer first.
Yeah I thought I would use what's in mine 1st too, but nope.

Yup, me too. Just bought 2 tenderloins and a Loin Roast. But in all fairness they are for specific meals.

and no - they were not on sale. :(

How much of the spices do you use taxy?
Raw ginger, grated, diced?
Just add a cinnamon stick to each jar?
Same with the star anise?
What size jars?
How much water to the honey?

Picked up 4lbs of Beatrice salted butter, which have cultures added for 4.99lb. at the Independent Grocer, first time there, and not impressed otherwise, and I think it's owned by Loblaw's, which I normally like.

How much of the spices do you use taxy?
Raw ginger, grated, diced?
Just add a cinnamon stick to each jar?
Same with the star anise?
What size jars?
How much water to the honey?
I only made it once. I was in a hurry to get it started, so I didn't add any spices, just honey. I have been dithering this year, trying to decide what to add. I'm thinking a single stick of cinnamon. Anything I add, I will add it in a piece/chunk.

Size of jar: a jar that will fit the cranberries with the right amount of head space. I don't add any water at all. The honey "sucks" water out of the cranberries.

Picked up 4lbs of Beatrice salted butter, which have cultures added for 4.99lb. at the Independent Grocer, first time there, and not impressed otherwise, and I think it's owned by Loblaw's, which I normally like.
Wow, fantastic price! Good for you.
Any grocer's that carry that famous yellow label - President's Choice.
including:
Atlantic SuperstoreTM, Dominion, Loblaws, Maxi, No Frills, Provigo Le Marché, Valu-MartTM, Real Canadian Superstore, Wholesale ClubTM, Your Independent GrocerTM and ZehrsTM
But there also Sobey's and I can never keep them apart. Sobey's owns many different ones as well.

I found a great deal on salmon the other day. We smoked it and it was really tasty!
20231211_170603.jpg
20231211_170716.jpg

Wow, that is a fantastic price! I got butter today for 4.99 a lb. Limit 3 per. Wished i''d seen it earlier, ends today.
I got some Lactantia butter last week for $4.99 / lb. I didn't have more freezer space than for 2 lbs. :( I shouldn't complain. That's a good deal. BTW, CAD$4.99 is approximately USD$3.70.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom