Hand surgery.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL, love your Doberman! Maya forgets she's now blind and takes off at high speed when she gets excited... with the expected results. I honestly don't know about her but I wince, kringe and get a head ache every time she crashes.

I hasten to add that the little booga is only half a Doxie. Her mom was a Standard red short-haired Doxie who was enticed into a romance one-night-stand by randy little brown Minpin. Unwanted and ended up with me, at all of 3 weeks [if that] and around 400gm - eeping for a bottle every couple of hours day and night.

Thanks Phaedra! Doing really well, big bandage off. Trying to find small normal bandages that cover the stiches. They poke and get caught in things... that's an owie.

But the biggest one is forgetting to NOT use the hand - grabbing something, leaning on my wrist get up, trying to open a jar.... etc.... those are bigger owies! LOL

Spoiler Alert for squeamish....

Palm looks like I tried to grab a wiggly porcupine...
20230105_152634.jpg
But it was really neat, surgeon paused to allow me to lean over and peek inside my wrist while it was split open and clamped wide for me to see everything.

That looks great dragnlaw, and it's good you have sutures and not staples as they allow some "give" to the healing incisions, so the healed scars shouldn't tighten up. I've seen the insides of many incisions but none of mine, I hasten to say - fascinating, isn't it. Even my lovely vet let me sit in while my last three girls were spayed!

Regarding small bandages to cover the sutures - it is preferable not to keep the wounds covered as they will heal better when open to the air, but it would probably be OK to cover them when you have some work to do. Sutures will catch on things though and it will be impossible to keep your hand away from everything all the time. They shouldn't have to stay in too long though. The only thing I can think of is an oversize loose cotton glove - especially at night - to stop them catching on things as you move in your sleep.

I know exactly what you mean about forgetting not to use your hand - I still forget far too many things and end up saying norty words! Luckily de dawg doesn't take any notice.

Thanks for the update!

I keep them open to the air when I can. Went out today so covered them. Had them covered while I tended the rabbit cages (son is sicky ka ka today).
Will cover them to do my dishes, that sort of thing.

Supposed to go back to see surgeon on 17th - when she'll remove the stiches - but I can pretty sure, guarantee there won't be any for her to remove... LOL.
Don't worry - I won't remove any not ready yet. :blush:
Still warm and swollen.

The wounds will still be warm and swollen - they are healing and that's a sign of healing. It's only if they get very red and so swollen that the flesh is bulging between the sutures, that you should be worried.

It's rather a long time to keep sutures in, if you aren't going back until the 17th, but if that's what they say... just please don't remove them all at once if you decide to do it yourself.

Alternate once first please... and in case you didn't already know, tiny curved-bladed embroidery scissors are very useful for that sort of thing - oh, and a pair of tweezers to pull the cut sutures out. Slowly!

[Edited to add that I hope your son gets over the icky/ka ka pdq]

Dragn, do you have any tubular gauze? You should be able to make a fingerless glove for your hand with some of that. It stretches and lets the skin breath, but would protect the sutures from catching in other stuff. Be careful of them catching the gauze ;) Also, cut a small hole for your thumb to stick out through the gauze. It will help keep it in place. BTW, this can all be made with scissors. No sewing required.

I never considered the difference between sutures and staples. Good to know! Thanks Phaedra. One thing I missed on asking to see was the needle she used to sew - has a scissors/cutting tool as part of it. Some surgeons prefer them, others like to swing their own scissors around to snip. She also did a sort of cross stich that I'm not familiar with.
It was neat GG, hope I'll get to see more on the other wrist when that one is done. I'll have to look up some pics first so I know what to look for. Surgeon was more than accommodating - but don't want to push my luck! :D
Thanks taxy, I have a grand assortment of bandages, stretchy gauze, etc. But mostly during the day I can safely leave open to the air. Son is still not feeling well, it's almost 9:30 right now and haven't heard him moving about. Guess I'll have to "suit-up" the hand and go tend to the bunnies again.

I'm sorry to hear your son is still not feeling well - just be careful of your hand while tending the bunnies!

Regarding the difference between sutures and staples, a lot has to do with where they are required. If the wound/incision is over muscles which need to be used/stretched, I don't like the idea of staples. For scalp wounds or in places that won't be stretched and/or twisted once healed, I think staples are fine, but then I'm old fashioned and they didn't exist back in my day.

When my previous dog was attacked by a much larger one in my front yard, a few years back, ending up with a nasty puncture wound on the top of her shoulder, my vet sent his assistant to come and close it [I had already cleaned it out with hydrogen peroxide and poviodine but had no means of closing it], she stapled it. As it was only a piece of skin that was missing, and a dog's skin is much looser over the muscle, staples were was fine. My only problem was that I'd never been taught how to remove staples, and I didn't feel it necessary for her to come out from town again to remove them. So she asked if I had embroidery scissors and explained how to use them to remove the staples.

Surprising how many uses those little scissors have!

[One of these days I will learn to proofread my comments before posting them. So apologies for the totally unnecessary "was" in the comment "staples were was fine" in the above comment.]

Incidentally, my dog wasn't really hurt and the bigger dog was limping when it ran off.

LOL , where there's a will, there's bound to be a way!

and again, the above sentence was written about 11:49 am - and - a usual occurrence for me - I forgot to press 'post reply' !

I do that - frequently! Being half way across the world [OK, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but still...] it means that I'm forever out of sync with most people I speak to via my keyboard, so I use that as my excuse when I post things long after I've typed them!

Thank you Kathleen, as said, I'm a pretty fast healer or so I think and of course, hope it hasn't changed! LOL
Just earing bandages over the sutures now. They rub and get sore, very annoying. Background ache most of the time. To be expected so doing fine!

Thank you Kathleen, as said, I'm a pretty fast healer or so I think and of course, hope it hasn't changed! LOL
Just earing bandages over the sutures now. They rub and get sore, very annoying. Background ache most of the time. To be expected so doing fine!
What are earing bandages?

Back
Top Bottom