Happy Girl's Day ~ Sunday 3/3/24 ~ What's On The Table?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Happy Girl's Day

Since it's "my day", I got us take out BBQ.

IMG_3263.JPG

DELICIOUS!!!

What's on the table at your place?

I was going to do some smashburgers on the Blackstone, but I realized I don't have buns, and besides, I'm worn out from today's projects. So, just some Mac-n-cheese with steamed broccoli for me tonight. Smashburgers tomorrow.

One of my projects today was to do another two rounds of seasoning on the Blackstone, so hopefully it will eliminate my mild sticking problem.

CD

Last of the Tovala meals for at least 10 days, except for breakfast in the morning, as I skipped a week. Made their first missteps.

Craig was supposed to have ground beef flautas with elote corn salad, but there were no tortillas in the box. We had a couple of small ones leftover from another meal so I used those, but they were way over stuffed, so they ended up being knife and fork tortillas.

I had parmesan crusted chicken and garlic-herb potato wedges, with a marinara dipping sauce. The potatoes were cut in all different sizes so didn't cook evenly.

I contacted customer support so we'll see how they handle it.
20240303_191618.jpg

I made Chef John's chorizo stuffed chicken breasts. I also made my first attempt at roast, Greek, lemon potatoes (the soft kind, not the crispy ones). There was a salad to go with that. The chicken was excellent, as usual. The Greek potatoes were good, but not as good as the ones from the Greek restos. I'll fiddle with the temperature and cooking time and maybe with the ingredients, a bit.

Chorizo stuffed chicken breast, Greek potatoes, and a salad with viniagrette.jpg
Chorizo stuffed chicken breast, Greek potatoes, and a salad.jpg

Inspired by a dish my daughter got last week at an Indian restaurant, I made a bunch of Indian dishes with paratha bread. Saag, Potato and Peas, Dahl, cauliflower and Chana Masala. Mine is the one on the 50 cent plate from Target :) . The restaurants had Saag, Paneer in a tomato based sauce, Dahl, Potatoes in a tomato based sauce, Cauliflower and peas, and a yoghurt sauce that tasted very Tzatziki like, with basmati rice. Oh yeah, I almost forgot the Mulligatawny soup I made too.

Attachments

• indian.png
    indian.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • Indian 2.png
    Indian 2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
I had a Taylor ham, lettuce, tomato, and mayo on a toasted English. Quick and easy.

I haven't had Pork Roll ( ;) ) in quite a while. I can't buy it by the slice at the Kroger Deli anymore. I have to buy a whole chub, and slice it myself. It is very high in sodium, so it was nice when I could buy just a few slices -- enough for a couple of sandwiches.

CD

I haven't had Pork Roll ( ;) ) in quite a while. I can't buy it by the slice at the Kroger Deli anymore. I have to buy a whole chub, and slice it myself. It is very high in sodium, so it was nice when I could buy just a few slices -- enough for a couple of sandwiches.

CD
Buy the whole roll. Slice, portion into zip bags and freeze. Whole roll is cheaper.

Buy the whole roll. Slice, portion into zip bags and freeze. Whole roll is cheaper.

I don't have one of those electric meat slicers. I have to use a knife. That means my slices are not even close to uniform. Some thick, some thin, and some thick on one part and thin on another.

I do know it freezes well. In the past, I have bought a whole chub, cut it into three or four chunks, and vacuum sealed them for the freezer.

I took a frozen chunk down to Houston for my mom and sister once in my carry-on baggage. TSA flagged it, and the TSA agent asked me, "What is this?" :ROFLMAO: I told her, and she was okay with it, but it was clear she had never even heard of Pork Roll before.

CD

I am a day late for Cornish pastry week, but made them anyway. My first attempt. They were actually very yummy and sturdy enough to be eaten out of hand!

View attachment 68249
It looks delicious. My grandmother on my dad's side used to make lots and lots of pasties (minnesota-wisconsin) with venison, beef fat, potatoes, carrots, rutabagas, onions, and a pat of butter inside. She taught me to make her pastry dough. She used lard, salt, flour adding sugar to it. I questioned this and she said sugar helps with browning. I miss those days and the smell of them!

Do you have a good local BBQ joint in Cowboyville, or just the chains?

CD
Ya know @caseydog I don't think that there are any chain BBQ joints here, at least none that I know of, I could be wrong, but now you have me curious ...
This BBQ joint near to us is pretty good, but the Brisket re-heated was not as tasty as fresh off the pit. The Beans are outstanding!

There's a place here in Arizona that serves Taylor Ham breakfast sandwiches, and that's exactly what they call it!
wildflower taylor ham sandwich.jpg

SUPER thin slices ... when I make it at home, which by the way we've had that past three mornings in a row, I buy the chub and slice the whole thing up one crack, cook what we need and freeze the rest, as @msmofet mentioned, but I cur mine THICK!

I don't have one of those electric meat slicers. I have to use a knife. That means my slices are not even close to uniform. Some thick, some thin, and some thick on one part and thin on another.

I do know it freezes well. In the past, I have bought a whole chub, cut it into three or four chunks, and vacuum sealed them for the freezer.

I took a frozen chunk down to Houston for my mom and sister once in my carry-on baggage. TSA flagged it, and the TSA agent asked me, "What is this?" :ROFLMAO: I told her, and she was okay with it, but it was clear she had never even heard of Pork Roll before.

CD
I cut mine. Some thick, some thin and uneven also. Thin for sandwiches and thick for meat side with eggs or cubed up and added to scrambled eggs. Who cares about uniform? Doesn't bother me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom