Happy Girl's Day ~ Sunday 3/3/24 ~ What's On The Table?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have one of those electric meat slicers. I have to use a knife. That means my slices are not even close to uniform. Some thick, some thin, and some thick on one part and thin on another.

I do know it freezes well. In the past, I have bought a whole chub, cut it into three or four chunks, and vacuum sealed them for the freezer.

I took a frozen chunk down to Houston for my mom and sister once in my carry-on baggage. TSA flagged it, and the TSA agent asked me, "What is this?" :ROFLMAO: I told her, and she was okay with it, but it was clear she had never even heard of Pork Roll before.

CD
Definitely not an northeast coast girl!

Oh, great minds! We are having the same thing...well, except we'll have sous vide BBQ St. Louis ribs, saucy baked beans and baked potatoes...but other than that, exactly the same! :ROFLMAO:
IMG_7951.JPG

Last of the Tovala meals for at least 10 days, except for breakfast in the morning, as I skipped a week. Made their first missteps.

Craig was supposed to have ground beef flautas with elote corn salad, but there were no tortillas in the box.
I'd say Tovala took pretty good care of us. They have issued a $12.99 credit toward out next order, which has already been ordered for next week.

You could ask the person behind the counter in the deli section to slice it for you.

Yeah, that has crossed my mind. I'm not sure how it would work. I may have to buy it first, then have it sliced, since the whole chub is sold with a fixed price, not by the pound, and it is scanned at the checkout as one unit.

I just need to ask. But, the Kroger nearest me has gone downhill over the last year. HEB built two stores nearby, and that Kroger is halfway between the two HEBs. The Kroger is almost empty most of the time, and customer service is bad since I'm sure they've fired a bunch of employees. Kroger is the only store that I know of here that carries Taylor's Pork Roll.

CD

Yeah, that has crossed my mind. I'm not sure how it would work. I may have to buy it first, then have it sliced, since the whole chub is sold with a fixed price, not by the pound, and it is scanned at the checkout as one unit.

I just need to ask. But, the Kroger nearest me has gone downhill over the last year. HEB built two stores nearby, and that Kroger is halfway between the two HEBs. The Kroger is almost empty most of the time, and customer service is bad since I'm sure they've fired a bunch of employees. Kroger is the only store that I know of here that carries Taylor's Pork Roll.

CD
Do you have a QFC nearby? In our area, they are the higher-end of the Kroger stores and seem to do everything a bit better. I like shopping at QFC and they carry things that the other stores do not. But it is a few miles further away.

Do you have a QFC nearby? In our area, they are the higher-end of the Kroger stores and seem to do everything a bit better. I like shopping at QFC and they carry things that the other stores do not. But it is a few miles further away.

No. We do have a Kroger Marketplace store, which is Kroger's "premium" superstore. There is even a fine jewelry section where you can buy diamond rings and such. I don't know how that store is doing now that HEB opened a store directly across the street. The last time I was at that Marketplace store, the place was so filthy I actually asked to talk to a manager, and gave him quite an earful. That was at least a year ago, and I have not gone back.

Kroger has put all of its efforts and money into trying to buy Albertson's. They even gave their managers year end bonuses, and then took them back. I guess they needed the money to buy Albertson's.

CD

<<Kroger has put all of its efforts and money into trying to buy Albertson's. They even gave their managers year end bonuses, and then took them back. I guess they needed the money to buy Albertson's.

>>

CD
I heard that it is NOT likely to happen. Here's hoping it does not. Here, all we have are the Kroger (Fred Meyer, QFC) and Safeway/Albertson stores, as far as the big chains go. So, I'm getting used to shopping at Winco (employee owned smaller chain), Chuck's Fresh Markets (another smallest chain)...and our local Produce and Butcher shops. While it means more stops, I do enjoy supporting the locals. Very small-town feeling!

I heard that it is NOT likely to happen. Here's hoping it does not. Here, all we have are the Kroger (Fred Meyer, QFC) and Safeway/Albertson stores, as far as the big chains go. So, I'm getting used to shopping at Winco (employee owned smaller chain), Chuck's Fresh Markets (another smallest chain)...and our local Produce and Butcher shops. While it means more stops, I do enjoy supporting the locals. Very small-town feeling!

There is a WINCO in the next town over from me, but it is a PITA to get to from my house. I've only been once. I try to buy from stores in my city, so my city gets the local share of the sales taxes.

CD

There is a WINCO in the next town over from me, but it is a PITA to get to from my house. I've only been once. I try to buy from stores in my city, so my city gets the local share of the sales taxes.

CD
My town is too small...we don't even have a stoplight! We are "county taxes," so lower, but we don't have a supermarket. The only market in our town is like the very old, local corner store. They have beer, wine, dairy, a few boxed goods, hard scoop ice cream and a room for local(ish) ciders and beers on tap. But then, we don't have a tax on food...yet?

My town is too small...we don't even have a stoplight! We are "county taxes," so lower, but we don't have a supermarket. The only market in our town is like the very old, local corner store. They have beer, wine, dairy, a few boxed goods, hard scoop ice cream and a room for local(ish) ciders and beers on tap. But then, we don't have a tax on food...yet?

Actually, Texas does not charge sales tax on groceries. Beer, wine and other non grocery items are taxed, as is restaurant food and beverages. State sales tax tax is 6.25%, and cities can add 2% to that, and they all do. So, figure on 8.25% on any non grocery or pharmacy purchases.

We don't have a state income tax in Texas, so sales tax is where the state gets almost all its revenues. Fees like annual car registration makes up the rest. Cities, counties get their 2% sales tax, plus modest property taxes. School districts get their money from property taxes. Schools account for about 90% of my annual property taxes.

CD

Actually, Texas does not charge sales tax on groceries. Beer, wine and other non grocery items are taxed, as is restaurant food and beverages. State sales tax tax is 6.25%, and cities can add 2% to that, and they all do. So, figure on 8.25% on any non grocery or pharmacy purchases.

We don't have a state income tax in Texas, so sales tax is where the state gets almost all its revenues. Fees like annual car registration makes up the rest. Cities, counties get their 2% sales tax, plus modest property taxes. School districts get their money from property taxes. Schools account for about 90% of my annual property taxes.

CD
Washington State is much the same, as you outline above. Our property tax is modest. The Levies, not so much.

Washington State is much the same, as you outline above. Our property tax is modest. The Levies, not so much.

What side of the Cascades are you on? Property tax rates may be modest, but on the West side of the mountains, around Seattle, my house that is worth about $400K here would be about $2-million there.

CD

What side of the Cascades are you on? Property tax rates may be modest, but on the West side of the mountains, around Seattle, my house that is worth about $400K here would be about $2-million there.

CD
I'm west of the Cascades. SW WA. Similar, except about the other way around, my house here would be out of my price range, in So. Cal. But then, when we lived there, a house about one street over & 2 blocks up, was listed with a price north of $400K and was titled, "A Shack with a Shack Behind it." And it was.

P.S. My Mom was born and raised in Pearland. When I was young, she would send me to Texas to spend summers with cousins. I have no siblings, so they were the next best thing! ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom