Heinz vs. French's ketchup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heinz Ketchup, French's mustard, Miracle Whip instead of mayo (for SLoB's reasons) - those are my preferences. I use a lot of ketchup making my own BBQ sauces - it gives a bit of a flavor jump start over tomato sauce.

I will use regular mayo and other types of mustard when called for in some recipes.

Last edited:
I end up buying ketchup, mustard, and mayo from Winco and they rarely have any variety in what they offer. Just for the heck of it though, I'll check Trader Joe's when I go there this month and see what they have.

We buy whatever is on sale. I don't notice a difference in taste. High fructose corn syrup (a fructose-sucrose mixture) has gotten a lot of bad publicity, but it's not really very different from table sugar or honey. The name simply indicates that it has a higher ratio of fructose than regular corn syrup.

Straight talk about high-fructose corn syrup: what it is and what it ain't

I've found that there are die hard fans of Heinz, nothing else will do.

Like you I buy whatever is on sale. Right now I have store brand version of "Simply Heinz", I'm fine with that. We don't use a ton of ketchup, maybe 2 bottles a year, although it could be more if we babysit a friend's kid more. The last time he (2 years old) and Rob were making farting noises with the bottle and laughing hysterically, then Rob was feeding him the ketchup so as not to waste it. I don't think that we're equipped to be parents...

I'm even less of a mustard fan that I am a ketchup fan. I used to buy Gulden's but had repeated issues with the squirt bottle so I switched to French's for both yellow and brown.

Mayonnaise, on the other hand, is very important! Hellmann's - nothing else will do.

Hellmann's hands down is my favorite, no other commercial mayo comes close. There are very few things that I'm brand loyal to.

I use Heinz to make my own barbecue sauce and some dressings, but beyond that, I don't use it much just plain. I can't stand yellow mustard, but cook a lot with Dijon. Only Best Foods mayo will do for us..Helman's east of the Rockies. That nasty sweet Miracle Whip is a mayo mutant and actually a dressing.

Last edited:
I use Heinz to make my own barbecue sauce and some dressings, but beyond that, I don't use it much just plain. I can't stand yellow mustard, but cook a lot with Dijon. Only Best Foods mayo will do for us..Helman's east of the Rockies. That nasty sweet Miracle Whip is a mayo mutant and actually a dressing.

I agree with you 100% about Miracle Whip. I can't abide the stuff. It's overly sweet and overly processed looking and tasting. I know folks for whom nothing but Miracle Whip is acceptable. They say that Hellman's looks gross and curdled to them. It's funny that people have such strong feelings about mayo but it's so.

Yellow is the only kind of mustard that belongs on a hot dog. :angel:

Both ketchup and yellow mustard belong on *my* hot dog :mrgreen: And mustard, ketchup and dill pickles on my burgers. That's just how I likes it :woot:

:LOL: No ketchup on my dog, yellow mustard and sweet relish only! Ketchup is for burgers.

There are so many ways to adorn a hot dog. There are typical regional preparations, some that are a bit odd to me, but normal to others. I don't like a dog with stuff piled too high, because it can no longer be eaten in the hand as a sandwich. For me it ceases being a hot dog if it has to be eaten with fork and knife.

I can take a bit more of a pile on a burger because the shape of the bun allows one a little more latitude.

:LOL: No ketchup on my dog, yellow mustard and sweet relish only! Ketchup is for burgers.

You're my kind of girl, at least for the hot dog. Ever tried YM and SR on a burger? It's PDG too. Craig always leaves a couple of burgers without cheese for me so I can have them that way. Unless we're doing blue cheese burgers and mushies, that's pretty much the only way I eat them fresh off the grill.

You're my kind of girl, at least for the hot dog. Ever tried YM and SR on a burger? It's PDG too. Craig always leaves a couple of burgers without cheese for me so I can have them that way. Unless we're doing blue cheese burgers and mushies, that's pretty much the only way I eat them fresh off the grill.

Oh yeah. I'll load my burgers! I'm a hot dog purist though. Maybe some kraut along with the YM and SR.

Mmm, blue cheese and mushroom burgers, :yum:

Not a Blue cheese fan, but I do love me my Swiss cheese and mushroom burgers. :yum:

We had been using up the abundance of Heinz packets that come with our take-out grocery store fish - they include packets of tartar sauce and Heinz with each order. Normally "What is on Sale" ketchup is our usual brand. When I needed to buy ketchup, the little store with the Fetch app had Heinz on sale 2/$5, 2/$4 with Fetch. I also got to use the $1 off coupon that came in a flyer. Two 24-oz (28-oz?) bottles of anything for three bucks is a good deal to me. I just hope we use all that ketchup up before we die...:ermm: RP and Kayelle, I think homemade BBQ sauce is in my future, too.

I grew up on Caines Mayo and still use it to this day....
You can have the jar in my basement. I made the mistake of buying two when I found the on sale/use a coupon deal. In MY opinion, Cains in nasty stuff. I'd rather use Miracle Whip all the time. :ohmy:

...I have never had the privilege of tasting Caine's Mayo. I wish I could. I am picky when it comes to mayo. Unless I stumble upon something better I'll stick with Hellman's.
You can race Addie for my unopened jar! :LOL: Have you ever tried Duke's? I understand a lot of southern cooks prefer that brand. When we vacationed in Asheville, I bought a jar. It was good, tasted almost like Hellman's, but I still prefer Hellman's - probably because it is what I grew up w...wait, :huh: I grew up with Miracle Whip I have used since I got married.

...Only Best Foods mayo will do for us..Helman's east of the Rockies. That nasty sweet Miracle Whip is a mayo mutant and actually a dressing.
I felt the same way you do, Kayelle, until Chief Longwind said something about MW and coleslaw. I never liked my homemade coleslaw (didn't like coleslaw most of the time but Himself likes it), so I always coughed up the outrageous amount of money the grocery store charges for their in-store made stuff...which is probably mass-produced by someone else anyway. Then Chierf said something about shredded cabbage, MW, ice and other things I've forgotten. Now I basically mix shredded cabbage and a shredded carrot (or, sometimes, radishes) with MW and a little sprinkle of celery seeds. We both like that, and it is way cheaper than anything I would buy in the store. One jar of MW lasts forever that way. Good thing, too, since I'm pretty sure a jar of MW would make it through a nuclear blast. :ermm:

In our house, hot dogs and burgers have a long line of toppings to pick from. I like Bertman's Ball Park mustard and dill pickle relish - no sweet in my house ever. Himself likes Plochman's yellow mustard and raw diced onions. We've never seen either of them in MA, so we keep sneaking it across the state line when we make trips back from OH. Just as long as MA doesn't install border crossing guards we should be OK. :LOL:

You can race Addie for my unopened jar! :LOL: Have you ever tried Duke's? I understand a lot of southern cooks prefer that brand. When we vacationed in Asheville, I bought a jar. It was good, tasted almost like Hellman's, but I still prefer Hellman's - probably because it is what I grew up w...wait, :huh: I grew up with Miracle Whip

Geeze, I ordered Duke's mayo and got three jars of it because someone said it was better than the best. Half the first jar was thrown out, and the other two jars are still in the garage all these years later. Anyone can race over here for those also.

Geeze, I ordered Duke's mayo and got three jars of it because someone said it was better than the best. Half the first jar was thrown out, and the other two jars are still in the garage all these years later. Anyone can race over here for those also.
Give them to the food bank. Hungry people aren't that picky.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom