Hey everybody

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackismyname

Assistant Cook
My name is Jack and I downloaded a recipe that calls for chicken thighs to go into a rice cooker with the rice. I dont have a rice cooker so I'm unfamiliar with how a rice cooker works. I have a slow cooker, an Instantpot and regular pots and pans. how do I convert a rice cooker recipe to use equipment that I already have? I know some of you have already faced this and know the work around and I'm so looking forward to it. Thanks.

I dont think I was very clear. I can cook rice in any of my equipment. I meant what adjustments do I need to make knowing that the rice ingredient includes the chicken thighs?

Welcome to the forum!

A rice cooker just heats the rice mixture up to a simmer, and as soon as it senses the temperature increasing (meaning that the water has all been absorbed, or evaporated), the temperature goes down much further, so it just keeps it hot, but not burning the rice. There used to be a bunch of books with recipes using them, which didn't really do very well, because you couldn't brown the foods in them. With your Instant Pot, the "rice cooker mode" is on pressure cooker low mode, for 12 minutes, then it goes on that low mode, to just keep warm. If it's a newer version (mine is the oldest kind) it might have a simmer mode, that you could set, after sautéeing the chicken, and other things, before adding the rice and liquids, then cook for 20 minutes, then let sit for 5 minutes, then check the rice. You can also do this in a Dutch oven, or something like that, making sure that you don't cook too fast - at a slow simmer. Good thing is, thighs are hard to overcook, like breasts would be.

Last edited:
Another thing I didn't mention, which you know if you cook a lot in the Instant Pot, is that when using that, you don't need as much water for the rice, as you do using other pots, since the lid seals incredibly well, and much less steam escapes. Probably the same in those "fuzzy logic" rice cookers, since they seal pretty much the same.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom