Hey Guys- Any and all help thanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

styeffo69

Assistant Cook
Hi folks, a quick intro here....

A 44yr old guy, who's always wanted to cook but has never had the patience to make mistakes......

So hi and feel free to offer hints, tips advice....all accepted

:chef:

Hi folks, a quick intro here....

A 44yr old guy, who's always wanted to cook but has never had the patience to make mistakes......

So hi and feel free to offer hints, tips advice....all accepted

:chef:

If you don't make mistakes, how can you learn what is the right way? But welcome to the funnest place to be. Any questions, we have an answer. In fact you will get as many answers as there are members. And there is room for everyone of us and one more. :angel:

IMG_20130410_221753.jpg

If you don't make mistakes you're not trying anything new.

Human perfection is a myth. Strive for it anyway and you'll realize personal excellence and satisfaction in all your endeavors.

i have been cooking for 10 years and i decided the other night after i fried chicken fried stakes i was going to use the rest of the flour and what little grease was left i would make gravy out of it. Well let me tell you. It looked liked THANKSGIVING DRESSING. so me laughing about it i called my mom and she said well you can do two thing. And i asked what are the two things. She said 1 pour it out or since it was so thick spoon it out and start all over or you can use quite a bit of milk and try to make it thinner. Well i chose option one and spooned it out and restarted and boy oh boy i have to brag it turned out to be AWESOME GRAVY! not to mention after the first batch my husband walks in the kitchen and said what is that i said suppose to be gravy and he laughed. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

View attachment 17869

If you don't make mistakes you're not trying anything new.

Human perfection is a myth.

i'm not so sure about that <<licking pinkie and thumb on right hand, and smoothing out both eyebrows at once>>>
:cool:

hi stye, and welcome to dc. if you don't have any flaws, we'll ponit some out so we can all have a laugh and learn together.

now practice. do the licky finger eyebrow thing.

No, don't do the licky finger eyebrow thing. Bucky Tom must be wearing his feather boa again tonight.

Welcome to DC! Have a look around, lots of good stuff here!

Last edited:
Welcome and have fun! This is a great place to come and get cooking tips and advice.

Here's a few things that will really help you build some cooking skills:
Watch lots of How To Cook This Youtube videos.

Do some searches on "basic cooking skills", follow links and search on
results to read up on them. Also on cooking terms and words.
It is hard to saute something if you don't know what it means.

Read recipes, lots of them, and do some research on things you find
that you don't understand... like "chiffonade the basil...."

Remember that aside from a few things like boiling and frying,
you don't need that stove burner cranked up to High, unless you
like burned food.

Get a food thermometer, and dont be afraid to use it on meats to
determine when it's cooked as you want. Overcooked is dry and chewy...

Don't be afraid to try a recipe, as has been advised, the only way to learn
is to make mistakes. Even the best chefs burn things, add too much salt
or otherwise ruin a dish every now and then.

If it's edible, it's perfect! ;)

perfectiin requires good eyebrows, i'm tellin' ya...

ok, just kidding.

the fool ain't no fool. good advice there.

he must do the lickin eyebrow thing, or maybe the huff on nails, then wipe on shirt before grilling...

Cooking is a vast subject. There are so many techniques, so many ways to pair foods to compliment each other, to present beautiful dishes, not to mention maintaining balanced nutrition. Fortunately, the same techniques for cooking a perfect turkey are similar, or the same for cooking a perfect pork roast. And steaming is steaming, whether your using it to cook asparagus, or zucchini.

As was said by others, the best way to learn is to do. And don't assume that because someone posts it, that it's gospel. There are a great many people who cook certain ways, because that's the way their grandmother did it, even if it's not the best technique.

On the other hand, re0-inventing the wheel takes a lifetime, when it comes to cooking. My best advice is to use recipes, and techniques obtained from others as a starting point. Then, make things. Experiment. Take note of what's happening with each thing you try. Your skills, and knowledge base will grow exponentially. Soon, you will be cooking with the best of them, no matter who "them" is. Most importantly, look at cooking as a hobby, something to enjoy. Good food is certainly more pleasant to eat. But the process can be uplifting, and can nurture you as you treat it as a science, and an art.

My favorite aspects of cooking are seeing someone really enjoying things that they didn't think they'd like. I've known people who swear that they dislike and won't eat salmon, for instance. And then I had them over and prepared it in a certain way, and they loved it. I also love it when I get to serve my family their favorites. It makes me feel good to give something good to my family and friends.

You have a desire to learn. So pick out something you want to learn how to make, and ask us how to make it. You might get ten different answers, with each person swearing their version is tried and true. And each of them will be. There is rarely only one way to do anything. Often, it comes down to personal taste. But the techniques will be valid. And you get to pick the one that appeals most to you.

Welcome do DC, a place where everyone wants to be helpful, and everyone is friendly, and like my buddy BuckyTom (BT for short) needs to be taken with a grain of salt, or maybe even two grains of salt:ohmy:. I know that I often enjoy a little tongue-in-cheek conversation, and have been labeled more than a little whacky, at times. We try not to take ourselves too seriously around here. We leave our ego's behind before we crossing the DC threshold. Have fun, and again, welcome.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Well, you're going to make mistakes. How many you actually make in practice depends a lot on what sort of guy you are. If you're a methodical, scientific sort, you'll read a recipe and will go online and research terms and methods mentioned in the recipe that you're not sure of. And you won't make so many of the potential mistakes. (Except occasionally when the person who explained that method left out a critical point.)

You will learn a great deal if your inquiry threshold is real low. for instance, when it says to brown the pieces of beef, don't assume that's simple. Read up, and you'll discover one of the most important things you can learn and one that lots of people don't understand, leaving them to wonder why the meat always sticks.

And don't think everything has to be elaborate to be a significant learning experience. Some executive chefs have used as their audition for new chefs the challenge of just making an omelet. And there's a good bit to learn about making a simple green salad.

The good news is that the mistakes will rarely be so bad that the food is ruined.

You have to just jump in and do it. If you make a mistake, so be it. Mistakes are just new recipes and not all new recipes are big hits. My gravy story has to do with my mother-in-law visiting. I made a pot roast with gravy and to make sure she knew I was a perfect cook, I strained every last lump out and presented it at the table in a gravy boat. My husband her son, poured it over his mashed potatoes, looked up with a quizzical look on his face and asked "Where are the dumplings?" He's been having dumpling gravy for over 50 years and likes it.

they sure do.

just check out my eyebrows... :)

just kidding, sty.

i hope you're willing to learn, same as all of us.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom