Hi, I am Carl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carl520

Assistant Cook
Hi, I am Carl. I start cooking meal for myself since I was in college, but I am still not good at it:LOL:. Hope I can learn to cook better here. thank you:chef:

I think I can make good English breakfast (too easy right? :ROFLMAO:) and fried rice. I am hoping to learn how to do some seafood dishes.

Well, I cannot do fried rice! :rolleyes: :LOL: So you're one on me already!

Now a good English breakfast... Egg, however you wish, bacon and/or bangers, leftover fried potatoes, fried onions, fried mushrooms, american baked beans, sliced tomatoes and toast. That's what my British ex called breakfast.

Welcome to Discuss Cooking. This is a good place to start a journey of improving your cooking skills.

What taxy said. Welcome, Carl from the beautiful province of BC. I'll crack open a frothy Kootenay in your honor.

I noticed that you mentioned learning to cook in college, but have yet to become adept at it.. So long as you're not like 92 years old, we should be able to help.

Something that I've found very helpful is to get the Amerca's Test Kitchen cookbook which is based on their 20 year long TV show. If you find a recipe that you like, you can go to Pluto.tv online and search for the video of them making it. That way you have both the recipe and a hands-on lesson in watching how to make that particular recipe.

I'm not sure if you can get that in Canada, though. Lemme know if it's possible.

Last edited:
I got their magazines (Cook Illustrated) for quite a few years. I also pay for their TV video's, so when I find a recipe I like I search and watch the video. Was born in Canada but often say I'm from Missouri, the Show Me State.

If you buy their magazine, you will see that often they have a video available for free for a month or so. Take advantage of that and watch.

Hi Carl, and welcome.
I´d suggest you start with simple dishes, using ingredients you like. Find a straightforward recipe, prepare all the ingredients before you start cooking, follow the recipe instructions exactly, and see how it turns out.
Once you gain confidence, then you can start expanding your repertoire.

Hey Carl! Welcome to DC. Seafood is mostly pretty quick to quick, so I think this is a good choice for beginning your cooking experiences! If there's a particular dish you are wanting to make, call it out & I'm sure we'll be able to make suggestions in this thread or point you to an appropriate section to look. Again, welcome!

Back
Top Bottom