Hi! New here, with a question about curry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is galanga? I've heard that used fairly interchangeably with ginger.

Sure, I'll post the results of the experiments when I get the chance to make it :D Right now, I just got the ingredients to make vegetarian miso ramen, so that's my next project.

Galangal is a southeast Asian herb that looks and tastes much like Ginger. Obviously it tastes different, fruitier or more aromatic maybe.

You can buy it fresh at many Asian markets and dried from places like Penzeys.

Good luck with the miso soup. It's really simple but perfect for cold weather!

Oh, One quick question about the the miso--the recipe calls for kelp, but I'm wondering if there's a substitute. Here's how they use it: Boil kelp and ginger to make the broth, then remove both ingredients and pour over noodles. I'm wondering if I can use consomme of some sort. Fish paste, bouillon, vegetable broth... something? Nothing with chicken though. One of my family members is allergic.

I dont want to sound pompous but there is no such word as Curry in the various Indian dialects the rearest is Kari, one story is that when the Indian people kicked the brits out a Colonel got his manservant to grind every spice they had to make a as he called it Curry Powder.
I learned to cook spiced dishes at Veeraswamy London which is Puka, my family supplied them with spice, veg and rice. The spicing must be balanced to the flavor of the main ingredient. Sea food light spice, chicken light to medium, Pork strong ie Portugese(christian) Vindalo.
An old aquaintance Pat Chapman of the Curry Club wrote the best book about non puka cooking in Indian restaurants in the UK, its called batch cooking, if you want me to explain this method just ask.

Those are some others that came up in most of them--fenugreek, cardamom and black pepper.

That's a good idea for starters! I take it you make curry? Have you ever tried one with chocolate? I got the idea from an anime I recently finished--Black Butler--and I decided I had to try it since curry is one of my favorite Asian/Middle Eastern dishes.
Curry and anime....if you build custom motorcycles you might be my husband's twin.

Oh, One quick question about the the miso--the recipe calls for kelp, but I'm wondering if there's a substitute. Here's how they use it: Boil kelp and ginger to make the broth, then remove both ingredients and pour over noodles. I'm wondering if I can use consomme of some sort. Fish paste, bouillon, vegetable broth... something? Nothing with chicken though. One of my family members is allergic.

Not really, sorry.

Miso soup contains three key ingredients: miso, seaweed (kelp) and bonito fish. You can make "vegetarian" miso soup without the fish but the seaweed is essential to miso soup's flavor.

The combination of seaweed and bonito is called Dashi. You can make it from scratch or buy it in powdered form in an Asian market.

I take it that you have miso paste. You can go ahead and make a vegetable soup and enhance it with the miso paste. It will probably taste good but it won't be miso soup.

I dont want to sound pompous but there is no such word as Curry in the various Indian dialects the rearest is Kari, one story is that when the Indian people kicked the brits out a Colonel got his manservant to grind every spice they had to make a as he called it Curry Powder.
I learned to cook spiced dishes at Veeraswamy London which is Puka, my family supplied them with spice, veg and rice. The spicing must be balanced to the flavor of the main ingredient. Sea food light spice, chicken light to medium, Pork strong ie Portugese(christian) Vindalo.
An old aquaintance Pat Chapman of the Curry Club wrote the best book about non puka cooking in Indian restaurants in the UK, its called batch cooking, if you want me to explain this method just ask.
You don't sound pompous at all, and in fact I'm intrigued. I'm always looking for ways to make my cooking better, so I would love it if you could give me some more pointers.

Curry and anime....if you build custom motorcycles you might be my husband's twin.
:ROFLMAO: No, no custom motorcycles for me.

Not really, sorry.

Miso soup contains three key ingredients: miso, seaweed (kelp) and bonito fish. You can make "vegetarian" miso soup without the fish but the seaweed is essential to miso soup's flavor.

The combination of seaweed and bonito is called Dashi. You can make it from scratch or buy it in powdered form in an Asian market.

You mention kelp and seaweed interchangeably... would Nori work?

You mention kelp and seaweed interchangeably... would Nori work?

Yes. Nori works well.

Miso soup is "supposed" to be made with Kombu (a type of kelp) but many people make it with Nori because its easier to get.

Shredded Nori is often used as a garnish for miso soup as well.

Nori is lighter and sweeter but will definitely give you the taste of authentic miso soup.

Okay fuzzy, take an authentic lamb, beef or pork recipe and they would take a minimum of 60 mins to cook this does not work in your average "curry house" in the UK so the meat is pre-cooked in large batches in a pot with water flavored with a ground spice mix called Masala. The meat is then left to go cold. A base mix of pureed onion, garlic and ginger is fried in a wok, then they add the relevant spices and liquids from the authentic recipe, cook out for 5 mins then add the tender meat cook out for another 5 mins, tender lamb kurma in 12 mins.
Fuzzy if you go into an Indian Restaurant that offers a "Curry"using the same main ingredient hot, medium, or mild its non puka batch cooking.

The most popular national dish in the UK is Chicken Tikka Masala, a UK invention like General Tso's chicken was invented in the US.

Interesting, BDF. Part of why I haven't wandered into the Middle Eastern curry implicit inquiry is that good food has a way of making itself at home no matter on what shore it finds itself.

Okay fuzzy, take an authentic lamb, beef or pork recipe and they would take a minimum of 60 mins to cook this does not work in your average "curry house" in the UK so the meat is pre-cooked in large batches in a pot with water flavored with a ground spice mix called Masala. The meat is then left to go cold. A base mix of pureed onion, garlic and ginger is fried in a wok, then they add the relevant spices and liquids from the authentic recipe, cook out for 5 mins then add the tender meat cook out for another 5 mins, tender lamb kurma in 12 mins.
Fuzzy if you go into an Indian Restaurant that offers a "Curry"using the same main ingredient hot, medium, or mild its non puka batch cooking.

The most popular national dish in the UK is Chicken Tikka Masala, a UK invention like General Tso's chicken was invented in the US.
Awesome! That's making my mouth water just thinking about it. Why is the meat left to go cold, though? I'm very new to cooking on my own, so I'll probably have a lot of dumb questions...

I'll make sure to look out for that.

Fuzzy the reason the tender meat is cold is because you can handle it without it breaking up to much.
Cheats Chicken Tikka Masala.
Cube chicken breast, marinade overnight in a mix of tandoori powder and yoghurt, thread the meat on metal skewers and cook under a very hot grill or on the bbq, take the meat off the skewers and cool.
Heat some veg oil in the wok and add a tsp of cummin seeds fry for 30 seconds, add 1tbls of garlic puree fry for 60 sec, add 6 tbls of onion puree and fry fo 2 to 3 mins, add 2tbls of shop bought medium curry paste, Itbls of tom ketchup, 1tbls of brown sugar, I tbls of tom chutney, 1 tbls of ground almonds, fry a bit then add the meat 7 fl oz of cream, 3 fl of coconut milk mix and heat through.:)

I forgot to add this blog Mamata is a legend among Curryholics in the UK so I hope this link works if it does click on search tick indian then put which meat or fish into the search box.
http://www.mamtaskitchen.com

Last edited:
The miso ramen was a success! The only criticism I had with it was I had to extend the recipe to serve six so it turned out a bit weak, because I guess it's not just tripling the recipe, you have to triple it PLUS some. For next time, I'll add more ginger and miso. And probably some more sake.

I got some curries to experiment with, now I just need some pork or something to fix with it.

Fuzzy mate you said you were new to cooking so my best tip, never serve anything without tasting it first.
Seasoning is everything, I will fry a little of my hamburger , meatloaf or ball, sausage, stuffing mix ect before using.
Patisserie is Alchemi so stick to the recipe, again I dont want to sound pompous but with baking I can smell when things are cooked, with certain cakes I can even hear when they are ready.
Touch is also a skill you will learn for fish or steak cooking.
Form an 0 by resting the tip of your first finger on the tip of your thumb, feel the flesh below, prod your steak with your finger and if it feels the same the steak is rare, do the same with the second finger for medium, the third finger for well done.

Fuzzy mate you said you were new to cooking so my best tip, never serve anything without tasting it first.
Seasoning is everything, I will fry a little of my hamburger , meatloaf or ball, sausage, stuffing mix ect before using.
Patisserie is Alchemi so stick to the recipe, again I dont want to sound pompous but with baking I can smell when things are cooked, with certain cakes I can even hear when they are ready.
Touch is also a skill you will learn for fish or steak cooking.
Form an 0 by resting the tip of your first finger on the tip of your thumb, feel the flesh below, prod your steak with your finger and if it feels the same the steak is rare, do the same with the second finger for medium, the third finger for well done.

Ooooh, that's really interesting!

I did taste it, and I added more miso and tasted it again. I don't quite know why it tasted okay then, but a little weak in a bowl.

Back
Top Bottom