How about a cookbook category?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesS

Senior Cook
Have cookbooks become passe in this newfangled Internet connected world?

It's kind of surprising that there's no topic for the discussion and review of them here.

I've stopped collecting them, and I do use the internet for 99% of my recipe needs. So much faster, and I can get to them from home, work, or a friend's house. No more copying recipes, I just send a link!

Let's see if we can't stir things up a bit then. I've got a few things to do this morning, but afterwords I'll pull a favorite book off of the shelf and start a discussion.

I've stopped collecting them, and I do use the internet for 99% of my recipe needs. So much faster, and I can get to them from home, work, or a friend's house. No more copying recipes, I just send a link!
Yeah your right vag , internet recipe is so easy to find out you can do it faster , you can less your effort finding recipe books in store .

Yeah your right vag , internet recipe is so easy to find out you can do it faster , you can less your effort finding recipe books in store .

No question the internet is a great place to find and endless supply of recipes. However, you can't get everything online. If you are looking for a specific recipe from a specific chef/person, you could be out of luck. For example, Mario Batali's Osso Buco recipe. (I'm not actually looking for this), or Julia Child's Andalusian Chicken. (not looking for this one either).

Usually when I pick a username on a forum I put a little thought into what my shortened "nickname" would be. Guess I didn't think on this one enough! Not sure what vag means where you are, but in America it is a nickname for a female body part.

The Internet is a good source for recipes, but to me, it pales next to curling up with a good cookbook.

The Internet is a good source for recipes, but to me, it pales next to curling up with a good cookbook.

I completely agree!!

And many times there is more to a cookbook than recipes. For example, I have a large hardbound Asian cookbook that is broken down by region, and the first 4 or 5 pages of each region is detailed cultural information I have never heard or seen anywhere else, and puts the food into perspective.

I enjoy rummaging through second hand stores and flea markets where an occasional specialty cookbook treasure can still be found.

And I don't have to worry about losing my "favorites", hard drive, computer or electricity. I even print off select online recipes and store them in a 3-ring binder.

And when the time comes for my mother to pass on, I'll inherit her card file of hand written recipes that link me to her, her mother, her mother's mother, and my past. No computer could ever do that!

Love cookbooks!

I love cookbooks. I only have 60+ cookbooks due to a lack of storage in my one-bedroom apartment. :chef:

I agree! I thought I was the only person who likes to read cook books. :wacko: It is so good to know others like to do that too.

Usually when I pick a username on a forum I put a little thought into what my shortened "nickname" would be. Guess I didn't think on this one enough! Not sure what vag means where you are, but in America it is a nickname for a female body part.
ohh . Sorry , I just feel free to call vag but not meant to have a meaning on it . Ok vagriller .

I agree! I thought I was the only person who likes to read cook books. :wacko: It is so good to know others like to do that too.
yeah , you even print and comply the recipe you want to have . just make a little bit of hardcopy for you guide or just save as softcopy as simple as that .

For me there is nothing like holding a cookbook in your hands. I love the look, feel and smell of them. I often take one to bed with me and "dream" about what recipe I'll try the next day or week ahead; or change the recipe to suit ingredients I have on hand. If it's an old cookbook, I wonder who held it before... and I love the notations made in vintage used books. I do print recipes from the Internet too and try them, but have better results from 'proven' cookbooks. :wub:

Every cookbook I buy or get my hands on is read cover to cover, like a novel. Drives DH crazy, but he doesn't say anything. Now if it was a new teapot, he'd be pitching a fit...I must have over 150 of them.

Every cookbook I buy or get my hands on is read cover to cover, like a novel. Drives DH crazy, but he doesn't say anything. Now if it was a new teapot, he'd be pitching a fit...I must have over 150 of them.
Really ? wow many . it is nice to have a collection of cook book . Specially if you can apply it all . Its great

Really ? wow many . it is nice to have a collection of cook book . Specially if you can apply it all . Its great

I only have about 40 cookbooks, I frequently weed them out (and buy more)...it's teapots that are scattered, boxed, stored all over the place. Teapots are an obsession of mine since I was about 3 years old.:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom