How are you feeling now about..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found a little bit of good news yesterday. The WHO says, with the additional three months of data collection we now have regarding the spread of Covid-19, it turns out that it's very rare that people who have no symptoms infect others. As always, more research is needed, but this is good to know.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asy...-arent-spreading-new-infections-who-says.html

No - they have walked this back saying it was a misunderstanding https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/09/who...coronavirus-spread-much-is-still-unknown.html

No - they have walked this back saying it was a misunderstanding https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/09/who...coronavirus-spread-much-is-still-unknown.html

They have done contact tracing of people who tested positive and were asymptomatic and found very, very few people who caught it from them. But, as the above article mentions, asymptomatic is not the same thing as presymptomatic.

I believe, from other stuff I have read about this, that she was making the point that the number of cases from asymptomatic people was very low compared to the number of case from people who do develop symptoms. The reason she wanted to make that point, was so governments would have a better idea of where spending money to contain and prevent spread would be most efficient.

It's not exactly walked back but further explained. From https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/09/who-comments-asymptomatic-spread-covid-19/

A top World Health Organization official clarified on Tuesday that scientists have not determined yet how frequently people with asymptomatic cases of Covid-19 pass the disease on to others, a day after suggesting that such spread is “very rare.”

The clarification comes after the WHO’s original comments incited strong pushback from outside public health experts, who suggested the agency had erred, or at least miscommunicated, when it said people who didn’t show symptoms were unlikely to spread the virus.

Maria Van Kerkhove, the WHO’s technical lead on the Covid-19 pandemic, made it very clear Tuesday that the actual rates of asymptomatic transmission aren’t yet known.

Last edited:

I finally took the time to read about the WHO statement. It looks like a walk back to me. This is an important distinction. I am under pressure to play bridge in person, as opposed to continue to play online, with my neighbors. I am refusing to play in person and THE argument I am using is that we don't know who has the virus, be it being asymptomatic or in the incubation period. It's not worth the risk to me.

The mess started with stuff being taken out of context at the press conference.
She [Van Kerkhove] could have spelled this out much more clearly, yes. But another problem here is that her original remarks were quickly taken out of context. She was not telling people to rush out to the bars because they don’t have to worry about asymptomatic spread. She was making a point about where she thought large-scale efforts to find and isolate people should be focused.

From: The World Health Organization Didn’t Actually Mean Asymptomatic Spread Is “Very Rare”
Here’s what went wrong at that press conference.

I finally took the time to read about the WHO statement. It looks like a walk back to me. This is an important distinction. I am under pressure to play bridge in person, as opposed to continue to play online, with my neighbors. I am refusing to play in person and THE argument I am using is that we don't know who has the virus, be it being asymptomatic or in the incubation period. It's not worth the risk to me.
Whatever we call it, I agree that in-person, in-home social activities should be avoided. My nephew is getting married on June 20 in NC about five hours drive from us. It will be a small family-only wedding and they're providing masks for everyone. I was starting to imagine that maybe I could go safely, so I asked my doctor about it. He said he's not recommending travel to patients, especially ones like me who are immunocompromised, and that Covid-19 cases are increasing there. (If I'm not mistaken, I think they're increasing in NM right now, too.) So I won't be able to see my nephew, meet his bride or see my sister, niece and other relatives who will be there. It makes me sad.

Here's some expert advice about which activities are safer than others (none are completely safe) that I found helpful.

From hair salons to gyms, experts rank 36 activities by coronavirus risk level

Last edited:
That's a shame that you have to miss that wedding GG. I know I wouldn't go, even if the wedding was held outdoors. I know I would need to pee somewhere along the way, with a five hour drive. I would be concerned about how well social distancing would be enforced at a public washroom or while waiting to get to use the washroom.

That's a shame that you have to miss that wedding GG. I know I wouldn't go, even if the wedding was held outdoors. I know I would need to pee somewhere along the way, with a five hour drive. I would be concerned about how well social distancing would be enforced at a public washroom or while waiting to get to use the washroom.
Thank you. That's an excellent point I hadn't even thought about.

I got my haircut, while wearing a mask...had to do it, I was starting to think I could cut it and we all know how that turns out. I don't walk down aisles in the store when there is someone else there...if someone joins me, I turn around or hurry through.

I'm still working 5 days a week, that means I have to go to the gas station, buy food...I wear a mask for asll activities and make sure I don't get close to anyone. The facility is still on lockdown. I feel sorry for our residents that we can't even give a friendly hug or touch on the shoulder. Thank goodness for my parents, at least I can get a hug from them, the lack of touch is getting to me.

I hope some family member takes lots of wedding photos and/or a video GG. Then you will have lots to talk about on the phone w/ your sister/ family. No, it's not the same, but it's something.

Nope, not going anywhere yet this week.

I hope some family member takes lots of wedding photos and/or a video GG. Then you will have lots to talk about on the phone w/ your sister/ family. No, it's not the same, but it's something.

Nope, not going anywhere yet this week.
Thanks. My niece is going to live-stream it :wub: so at least we can see the ceremony and talk to people. You're right, it's not the same, but we all have to deal with the new normal. My nephew is also graduating from West Point Saturday and my sister is disappointed that no family are allowed to attend. Such is life for the time being.

PF, you're a heroine [emoji813] I'm fortunate that DH does all our shopping. I just want have to contend with selfish people at the doctor's office who come in without a mask and then don't wear it correctly after the staff gives her one [emoji35]

...My nephew is getting married on June 20 in NC about five hours drive from us. It will be a small family-only wedding and they're providing masks for everyone. I was starting to imagine that maybe I could go safely, so I asked my doctor about it. He said he's not recommending travel...

...My niece is going to live-stream it :wub: so at least we can see the ceremony and talk to people...
That's too bad that this virus has you missing out on a family wedding. If your family celebrations are anything like those of Himself's gang, it will be a good one. Heck, his family makes a celebration out of family funerals. :angel: So, put on your dancing shoes and a nice dress, pour a (large) glass of wine, and party at an extreme social distance. :LOL: Blessings on the new couple. :heart:

I got my haircut, while wearing a mask...
That's how I got mine cut today, plus the styling was stylin' with her mask, too. I wasn't allowed to cross the shop's threshold (it's a house turned into a spa - big porch on two sides) until my stylist checked my temperature. That was more than the doctor's office did when I went for my annual physical on Tuesday. No one checked it until I was deep into the office and tucked into the exam room. Shame, shame.

And what GG said about you rocking, PF. You are a real hero and a true angel.

Nobody has been on this thread in a couple weeks and thought I'd restart it.

I for one, am having hard time trying to find anything to be happy about with the progress of this damn pandemic.

California is in deeper trouble than it ever has been, along with many other states. The main reason is the foolishness of others for personal gratification. Bars, crowded beaches, gatherings of unmasked people who care nothing for anyone other than what they want, and the general stupidity has me in a depression that could personally set me back to square one when this first happened. When it first started I had no faith this thing could be stopped and it actually paralyzed me. Then I gradually began to believe that it could be done with many sacrifices from everyone.
Now that some restrictions have been lifted everything is going to hell in a hand-basket. I'm really disgusted and angry that my innate belief that the American people were disciplined enough to be able to conquer this most important threat of our lifetimes.

I'm not afraid to die but I would if I got it, and I sure don't want to die like this. The worse thing that could ever happen to me is to lose my husband, or the family I love more than life.

Nobody has been on this thread in a couple weeks and thought I'd restart it.

I for one, am having hard time trying to find anything to be happy about with the progress of this damn pandemic.

California is in deeper trouble than it ever has been, along with many other states. The main reason is the foolishness of others for personal gratification. Bars, crowded beaches, gatherings of unmasked people who care nothing for anyone other than what they want, and the general stupidity has me in a depression that could personally set me back to square one when this first happened. When it first started I had no faith this thing could be stopped and it actually paralyzed me. Then I gradually began to believe that it could be done with many sacrifices from everyone.
Now that some restrictions have been lifted everything is going to hell in a hand-basket. I'm really disgusted and angry that my innate belief that the American people were disciplined enough to be able to conquer this most important threat of our lifetimes.

I'm not afraid to die but I would if I got it, and I sure don't want to die like this. The worse thing that could ever happen to me is to lose my husband, or the family I love more than life.

As a Canadian having lived in Los Angeles for several years and become a serious friend and lover of Americans, and so impressed by all of the innate goodness that Americans stand for, I was so completely taken by your clearly honest and open thread about the current conditions in the U.S. of A., that I felt compelled to toss in a few hopefully encouraging words to all you folks suffering through all these trials and tribulations of this Pandemic and its threat to your health & economy, unfortunately exacerbated by the seeming unbelievable lack of your Federal Administration's ability to provide suitable guidance enabling the American people to turn this around, which I know and am certain American citizens are capable of doing, and will do so in the long run !

I have dear friends living in Orland, Fla. who are no doubt going through a crushing time of the derogatory infection developments in their great State - and my sole hope is that they will get through this as unscathed as possible. Your State and City leaders, as well as those in all the other States of the U.S., are doing a fantastic job under the circumstances, and I believe that even those young people who seem to be ignoring some of the certain remedial rules of conduct during this trying time, will also eventually see the light and determine to protect all others they have within contact distance of this damaging virus by changing their behavior.

I have no doubt that many of your American ills at this point in time will not only be vanquished, but that you will move on to be an even a better place in future than you were before - it might take another duly elected Administration to do that, but I'm sure it will take place!

So hang in there folks, be Calm, be Kind, and be Safe - I'm rooting for you with all my heart !

Best regards,
Paul

Paul, I can't begin to tell you how much your words have meant to me personally. You are very kind indeed. I too hope that the United Sates will recover when the insanity of narcissism becomes the enemy.

Paul, I can't begin to tell you how much your words have meant to me personally. You are very kind indeed. I too hope that the United Sates will recover when the insanity of narcissism becomes the enemy.

Hear Hear !! Many thanks - I very sincerely meant everything I said, and more that I left unsaid ! And I'm very gratified that my words meant something to you.

In our Province of British Columbia, we've been blessed with a well experienced, knowledgeable, professional, and effective Health Services Group team that was fully supported in all respects by the Province's and Federal Government's elected officials - along with a protective measures compliant population of over 5 million - so that we experienced only a very modest number of infected cases (less than 3,000 to date, an average of not more than 100 hospitalizations at the peak, and only 175 deaths so far, mostly within seniors' /long-term care homes.)

I personally don't know what to think anymore. Who to believe anymore. Who to trust anymore.

I've just been going about my daily life as much as I can and desperately trying not to put too much stock into what the 'experts' are saying, because it's been very contradictory. One day everything's fine. The next day cases are going up. The next day cases are on the decline. Wear a mask, it helps. Don't bother with masks, they don't make a difference. It's fine to go out in public. It's best to stay in.

I'll be honest and say I'm about totally done with the whole dang thing.

Back
Top Bottom