How did you have your main meal growing up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess that I was lucky in that my dad was never very strict. He was often compared to Heathcliff Huxtable for being a bit goofy and lovable. My mom was a little more strict, but not overly so.

I was a picky eater, I'd often be left at the table to finish my dinner. They'd usually give up because mom wanted the plate washed, LOL. I was a stubborn kid.

I don't know why I'm so late to this party! What a great thread and now I've read all the 42 posts with smiles and nods. I feel I know all of you a little better. Great idea Cheryl !!

I was raised in a little house that was attached to our little "Mom and Pop grocery/meat market". Food, and the preparation of it was our world. Our kitchen was the largest room in the house and the window over the sink looked out to the store. Mom or Dad would start something good smelling on the the stove for dinner, and open up the window to make the customers hungry. I think we pioneered the idea of samples given to customers. Both my parents were good cooks and since they never went somewhere else to work, they were always around. I took up cooking very early because of the circumstances. After the store closed at 7pm, the three of us would have dinner at the kitchen table. We always said grace before dinner, holding hands. I have wonderful memories of those days and I'm forever thankful for the parents I had. I was a late in life baby, and I lost them way too soon. To say I still miss them is a given.

Yeah, I wish I could call my folks, too. Sadly, they've both been gone for many years. But I miss them and think about them often.
I have voice mails that my dad and mom left me saved. I never delete them when I clear my vm. My parents are still alive, but because I live so far away, I don't see them often. I miss going for walks in the woods with my dad, fishing, picking wild asparagus, taking my mom out for lunch, taking her shopping...and, I miss my mom because her dementia has turned her into a new person. When the DH's mom passed away in May, the first thing he said was "I'm going to miss her." And he does.

cws, i thought i was the only nutcase that saves voicemails of loved ones, just for someday, just to hear their voice (again).

i have saved ones from my parents, and a number of them from my boy as he grew up. from barely being able to say words up until he called me with a practical joke then farted into the phone when he was about six. lol, det er gutten min!

finally, my most precious voicemail is from my deceased buddy ozzy. he left it just a few days before he died. he was smoking a joint on a chairlift and decided to call me to let me know just how beautiful the conditions were that day. i was supposed to go with him but couldn't get out of work, so he called and left a voicemail.

i didn't really listen to it the first time as i was busy at work. but a day after he died , i was retrieving voicemails from family and friends about his passing and heard his final message to me: "heyyyy man. what's up? it's sooo beautiful here. <<inhaling...coughing>> it's niiiice! wish you were here. later."

i like to think he was calling me from heaven.

Both parents worked, we lived on a small ranch, we ate when everyone was home and the chores were done, no set time.
Now, the two us eat when we get hungry and it doesn't matter what time it is.

The "Tyranny...." thread got me to thinking....what was the 'dinner hour' like when you were growing up? (Or supper....or tea...) :)

I'll start....:LOL: When I was growing up, as far back as I can remember, my dad got home from work at 5 and we had dinner in the dining room at 6 sharp. We all sat together. No phone calls were accepted, and definitely no TV. My brother and I had to ask to be excused from the table when we were done, and take our plates with us to the kitchen.

I remember going to friend's houses occasionally, who were allowed to have dinner on TV trays casually in front of the TV and allowed to take phone calls. I thought that was so strange until I got older. :LOL: I think I was 10 years old before I ever had a take out pizza. :LOL:

What were your early years like, regarding your main family meal?
We had dinner at lunch time when I was a girl. I had dinner at school and my parents and grandparents who were in business had their dinner at lunch time as it fitted in with the salons, the ladies' department being open until about 8pm

When I was a student and living in hall of residence dinner was provided at mid day and also a cooked "tea" in the evening. I put weight on!

When I started teaching I had dinner at school at lunch time and it wasn't until I was working for the gas company that I started taking packed lunches and I started cooking dinner in the evening.

Mostly I had dinner at mid day when working because it suited my life style but when it suits me now I have dinner at night.

When I was a girl in winter we had Sunday dinner at lunchtime but listened to "Three Way Family Favourites" and The Billy Cotton Band Show" on the radio before we ate and "Educating Archie" or "Ray's a Laugh" or similar afterwards. Our evening meal was on on trays in front of the fire on Sundays as a treat. There was usually a western on television at "tea time" on Sunday at the time we ate. In summer we went to Anglesey (North Wales) where we had a caravan, for the weekend. Things were a bit more casual then.

Last edited:
cws, i thought i was the only nutcase that saves voicemails of loved ones, just for someday, just to hear their voice (again).

i have saved ones from my parents, and a number of them from my boy as he grew up. from barely being able to say words up until he called me with a practical joke then farted into the phone when he was about six. lol, det er gutten min!

finally, my most precious voicemail is from my deceased buddy ozzy. he left it just a few days before he died. he was smoking a joint on a chairlift and decided to call me to let me know just how beautiful the conditions were that day. i was supposed to go with him but couldn't get out of work, so he called and left a voicemail.

i didn't really listen to it the first time as i was busy at work. but a day after he died , i was retrieving voicemails from family and friends about his passing and heard his final message to me: "heyyyy man. what's up? it's sooo beautiful here. <<inhaling...coughing>> it's niiiice! wish you were here. later."

i like to think he was calling me from heaven.
I have my Father's last message to me before he died in 1997 on the mini cassette from my now defunct telephone answering machine. I can't play it any more but it comforts me to know it's there.

I have my Father's last message to me before he died in 1997 on the mini cassette from my now defunct telephone answering machine. I can't play it any more but it comforts me to know it's there.

I bet you can find someone who can convert the message on the tape into a digital recording you can keep on your computer.

I don't think my parents ever left me any voice mail. It would be great to have that now that they are both gone.

We lived on a small farm when I was growing up but my dad worked in town. We ate dinner when he got home. We didn't have a separate dining room but a very large kitchen with a large dining area. Mom and Dad were quite strict about behavior at the table, but my two sisters and I sometimes got the giggles and had to sit on the back steps until we were over our tickling spell - then we would finish our dinner. The giggles never got us out of eating things we didn't like so we learned to like most everything. My mother always said I ate like a rabbit because I liked all veggies. She lived to be over 96 years old and just passed away a month ago.

We lived on a small farm when I was growing up but my dad worked in town. We ate dinner when he got home. We didn't have a separate dining room but a very large kitchen with a large dining area. Mom and Dad were quite strict about behavior at the table, but my two sisters and I sometimes got the giggles and had to sit on the back steps until we were over our tickling spell - then we would finish our dinner. The giggles never got us out of eating things we didn't like so we learned to like most everything. My mother always said I ate like a rabbit because I liked all veggies. She lived to be over 96 years old and just passed away a month ago.
Sending my sympathies on the recent loss of your mother.

cws, i thought i was the only nutcase that saves voicemails of loved ones, just for someday, just to hear their voice (again)...
You should know by now there are a lot of "nutcases" here at DC! :LOL: Even though we killed our land-line almost a year ago, the answering machine is still plugged in its spot. Every once in a while I'll play the silly messages our kids have left since we don't see them that often. I'd rather have them at the kitchen table munching on something I made. :heart:

.... My mother always said I ate like a rabbit because I liked all veggies. She lived to be over 96 years old and just passed away a month ago.
Sorry about your Mom's passing. What a long life she had. Hopefully you're heart is full of wonderful memories.

I don't know why I'm so late to this party! What a great thread and now I've read all the 42 posts with smiles and nods. I feel I know all of you a little better. Great idea Cheryl !!

I was raised in a little house that was attached to our little "Mom and Pop grocery/meat market". Food, and the preparation of it was our world. Our kitchen was the largest room in the house and the window over the sink looked out to the store. Mom or Dad would start something good smelling on the the stove for dinner, and open up the window to make the customers hungry. I think we pioneered the idea of samples given to customers. Both my parents were good cooks and since they never went somewhere else to work, they were always around. I took up cooking very early because of the circumstances. After the store closed at 7pm, the three of us would have dinner at the kitchen table. We always said grace before dinner, holding hands. I have wonderful memories of those days and I'm forever thankful for the parents I had. I was a late in life baby, and I lost them way too soon. To say I still miss them is a given.

Thanks so much, Kay. I had no idea this thread would get so many responses, but I'm so glad it did! I also feel like I know many of you better. It's so interesting to read about everyone's main family meal time. Sounds like we all did the best we could with what we had to work with.

I just got off the phone with my oldest daughter who lives 2 hours away, down in Santa Clarita. We talked a little about this this topic. My grandchildren are ages 1, 3, and 5, and son-in-law is a firefighter who is often gone for days at a time. They don't get regular family meals together and really treasure the times that they are able to. When they can, it's whatever they can get - BBQ's in the backyard at noon, or picnic brunch at a park. It's all good, like many have said, it's all about family. :)

My table was always filled with laughter and bickering. Maureen hated her bright blue eyes. She always wanted brown eyes like her sister and mother. So the other three would tease her and call her Little Miss Blue Eyes. This continued until she found their weakness and they didn't like the shoe on the other foot.

One night their father banged his fist on the table so hard the dishes jumped. "QUIET!" It was quiet for about a minute. then back to bedlam. He just looked at me and said it was better than his childhood at the table.

Every parent makes their share of mistakes. Some we regret, but hopefully we learned from them. To this day my kids talk fondly about their mealtimes and the food they ate. If their father and I did any one thing right it was that we gave them good memories of their mealtimes.

Put all my kids at the same table today, and nothing has changed. Lots of chatter, laughter and still building memories for their children. :angel:

In the section I raised my kids, there was and still is a store just like your parents had on almost every corner. Most of the families were in the lower spectrum of middle class. Hard working blue collar people. Really good people. They had a big tray of pizza on the counter. The kids would buy a couple of slices and eat them on the way to school. Some of their customers would run a tab until payday. And there was always that free piece of candy for the kid that didn't have any money. No family in the neighborhood went hungry as long as their was a store on the corner. The owner would put together a bag or two of groceries, and tell the mother, just to tide you over until payday. The owner knew though that the father lost his job, and who knew when his next payday was coming. There were and are a lot of folks who are very grateful for those little store owners like your parents. The are the center and life's blood of a neighborhood. :angel:

Oh Addie, I have so many memories of our little store and I can still see it in my mind's eye, complete with a big jar of pickled pigs feet on the meat case counter. There sure wasn't one on every corner or we wouldn't have been able to survive. I remember when the first "super market" came into the area and Daddy and I went there to scope out the prices and check out the place, with packaged meat and every color of bar soap. Remember colored bar soap? We sure didn't have shelf space for every color of bar soap or colored toilet paper either. What a horror that all their meat was packaged without a butcher like my Dad.

It turned out that our loyal customers who had their personal charge accounts stayed with us even with the "super market" near by. We hardly ever had a problem with people paying at the end of the month.
Dad had the best meat money could buy, and cut to order wrapped in butcher paper. Cooking advice was available for the asking. I often went with my Mom to deliver groceries to customers who needed the free service. Dad was too smart to give food away when people asked for it, but he often handed them a broom or had them stock some shelves in exchange. Oh how I miss them, and that childhood.
Klemm's Loma Vista Market...circa 1946-1963.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom